PDA

View Full Version : anyone into CAD?

450robot
07-26-2005, 05:26 PM
anyone like it? or do it for a living? i want to be a cnc machinist when i get out of college, and design parts for quads, like exhausts, clutch covers, pro-flows, carriers, hubs, etc.

right now i use autodesk inventor, if anyone has heard of it, and im in an advanced mechanical design class in my highschool

later i will post some pics up of the things i have made (exhaust, clutch cover, motor, etc.)

dirt308
07-26-2005, 06:42 PM
I've used it in school for tech classes and sometimes for fun trying to design stuff for fun but never really got a chance to get that good at it.

TheX1992
07-26-2005, 06:49 PM
I just graduated and used AutoCad and AutoDesk Inventor every day. I had become very good at it towards the end of the year. I am headed for Tool and Die making now (making molds). I went and took a tour of where my dad works (same field), and the designer used Cimatron (sp?). It blew me out of the water. I thought I knew nothing. It gets so complex it is absolutely insane. Don't get me wrong, he thought the same when he first started. Like anything, it just takes time. VERY good field to get into though. That man is definally well off.

Just some advice. Find a company you would like to work for (or at least the area). Go in and ask them for a job shadow. 9 times out of 10 if you give them notice, they will LOVE to brag to you about their jobs. I learned so much in so little time. Give it a shot and you will see first hand what it's like.

07-26-2005, 07:53 PM
Solidworks is the standard for solid modeling for CNC applications...

yes i do it on the side and also worked with autocad (all versions) during my Architecture years.

infantry317
07-26-2005, 08:24 PM
I've been on SolidQuerks...umm SolidWorks for about four years now, I'd never go back to 2D :scary: I work in the mechanical equipment end of things. Get your degree so someone can't pull a glass ceiling on you. Remember you start at the bottom and work your way into design. Pay is good at least in MN is, I was going broke doing it in CA. I've been at it since 95'. Used to be a drafting supervisor for five years, now a project manager(designer) for a custom fab company.

Quad18star
07-26-2005, 08:48 PM
I took it in my Civil Engineering program ... I loved first semester but 2nd semester sucked cuz my computer program was screwed :grr:

standardryder
07-26-2005, 09:00 PM
ive used autocad, cad cam, autodest inventor, and a few other programs for about 4 years. i like autocad the best, real easy. right now im a machinest for the l.s. starrett co. and im thinking about trnasfering into print making.

popo
07-27-2005, 05:46 AM
Catia, Pro E, SDRC Ideas & Arris using SGI workstations for me.

wilkin250r
07-27-2005, 09:42 AM
I'm always using AutoCAD. Our company recently hired a dedicated CAD drafter, and she is always coming to me to learn how to do some silly, obscure procedure, like extracting block attributes and such.

151racing
07-27-2005, 10:12 AM
I learned to do it in school, I help a friend on his CNC machine.

bwamos
07-27-2005, 12:15 PM
Engineering Tech./PM
Been using AutoCAD, Microstation, & Pro-Engineer daily for the last 12+ years. Granted 90% is 2D since I'm in the steel buildings industry.

Flynbryan19
07-27-2005, 01:03 PM
Learned on AutoCad2000 several years ago now, but could probably remember very little about how to do it again.....

I work on an ANCIENT program called Silverscreen. Its a very limited program and I feel dumber these days just for using it. I started going to school for civil engineering technology, but stopped short after I moved. Would like to complete it one of these days.....:o