PDA

View Full Version : Twist throttle?

nemesis
07-26-2005, 02:33 PM
I am thinking of going with a twist throttle. I have a dirt bike so I am used to it but a bike and a quad handle and ride totally different.
I mainly ride MX but I trail ride in the winter.

To the people with twist throttle, what are your opinions about switching?

HOSTAGE
07-26-2005, 03:03 PM
The only thing I hated was that you could feel so much more vibration through the bars ( regarless on how they were mounted or what bars I ran) and also, runnin mx, I am only 5-5 so I have really short arms, and it was a PAIN taking hair pin leftys at speed and on the throttle because of how your body is positioned during high speed cornering. Thats my take. (For anyone else, I will admit it, Ive also leaned to far back in the whoops, and we all know what happens, you twist your wrist which means you accellerate, which means you get out of rythym, which means you and the hay bails are rollin aroud together.

nemesis
07-26-2005, 03:23 PM
Very true but I think it will help reduce arm pump in my right arm and will also allow me more precise controll over the throttle. It is a pain when you pull back or just land hard where you accidently pull the throttle.

YFZ450Ridr
07-27-2005, 11:05 AM
for me, my twist is ideal. i ride really aggressive trails and stuff like that. i feel like i ahve more control over my quad because my entire hand is wrapped around my handle bar. the twist is easier for climbing hills and making sharp turns because i can position my body any way i like it and still reach the throttle.

my dad rode bikes his entire life and when he got his first quad he put a tiwst on it. he raised me on a twist throttle and thats what i ride now. it isnt easy to switch if your not used to a twist, give it a full day of riding and you should have mastered it.

i can hop on my friends 450 or raptor with thumbs and ride them like my own and be comfortable with the thumb, but i prefer my twist throttle. it pretty much all comes down to preferance and your style of riding. most people say when you land jumps, make left turns, or hit big bumps with a twist, you nail the throttle, thats not true at all thier jsut not used to it.

if you do get a twist go with a motion pro for sure. i like my cr pro 1/4 turn throttle.

HondaRider250
07-28-2005, 03:30 PM
my cousin had a twist on his warrior and hated it. he took it right off the day he put it on. he did a lot of trail riding, and the bumps made his wrist twist the throttle, so i guess it just depends on what conditions you ride in.

superquadguy
07-29-2005, 08:36 AM
i run the Joker Throttle. it is spot on and is the trickest thing on the track.

z435
08-06-2005, 08:36 PM
does any one have a old twist layin around in there garage iththe cabeland the whole assembly.. for a decient price according to condition ill pay shipping.. thanks al

YFZ450Ridr
08-07-2005, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by z435
does any one have a old twist layin around in there garage iththe cabeland the whole assembly.. for a decient price according to condition ill pay shipping.. thanks al

you can get a brand new motion pro twist throttle for around 40 bucks from rocky mountain.

z435
08-07-2005, 07:45 AM
yea i know but... i havent ridin a z with one and i didnt wanna spend 40 bucks if i was gunna take it off the first day neways!
thanks, Al

superquadguy
08-08-2005, 09:46 AM
CHEAP LOL

z435
08-08-2005, 11:52 AM
lol...soooo

Ciqir
08-09-2005, 11:08 AM
I've been riding dirtbikes pretty much my whole life and just recently got an ATV, and this throttle issue doesn't make sense to me. I've never understood why ATV's have a thumb throttle, and I still don't understand what makes a twist throttle hard to deal with on an ATV but no problem for a dirtbike. Can anyone shed some light here?

Thanks--

08-09-2005, 11:18 AM
My one friend has twist throttle and i ride dirtbikes and quads and its pretty easy vibrates a lil more but thts all.. You just have to get yousd to it.. Takes like a day or 2.. I think the twist throttle gives it a lil more torque to fro wheelies and stuff ..I just hate it when u land hard and hit the gass cuz then your on you ***** lol but once u get used to it and get good with it, its nice.

nosliw
08-09-2005, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by btchrider69
I think the twist throttle gives it a lil more torque to fro wheelies and stuff

:confused:

YFZ450Ridr
08-09-2005, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by nosliw
:confused:

i agree in saying:confused: how does a twist give a bike more torque for wheelies? i dont see how it helps the power of the bike...

drider
08-09-2005, 06:32 PM
heres the simple deal. Dirtbikes use Twist throttles.. ATV's use thumb throttles.

most people with twist throttles on there atv's are probably Dirtbike riders. personally, i would stick the thumb. ..
stick with thumb. the handling charateristics are different on quads.

its like you wouldnt put a thumb throttle on a dirt bike.. so?

Ciqir
08-09-2005, 07:06 PM
OK, here's another simple deal. You didn't do anything to really answer my question.

Great quads handle differently, but how does that necessitate or even make you want a different type of throttle?
And even though the machines handle different I still ride about the same. The same amount standing, same amount sitting, moving etc..

I was told that a mentionable amount of racers use twist, or was that off?

And by the way yes, I would put a thumb throttle on my bike if it had advantages over a twist. Who wouldn't in that case?

superquadguy
08-10-2005, 08:07 AM
i have never been a dirtbike rider, but the twist is the only way to go. put it on and ride with it about a month. then put the thumb back on you will see witch is better for you. don't just try it one day and say "It sucks" give it a little time. it is better. you have more control of the bike in the air. but it is not for every one.

BLAZE1
08-10-2005, 02:46 PM
The main difference is on a bike you lean to turn, less input on the bars so you can concentrate on throttle control.
With an atv you use your arms a lot more for turning and some people are not coordinated enough to use your arms to steer the quad and your wrist to control the throttle.

I have a twist on mine but I came from db and streetbikes originally so I am just used to it.

I like when people ask to ride my quad then when they see it has twist throttle their eyes get all big.:eek2: an say "I've never ridin a quad w/ a twist is it faster?"lol

Ciqir
08-10-2005, 04:26 PM
Good explanation Blaze. Dang you're right I don't ride exactly the same, ATV's do require a lot more input at the handlebars. It makes much more sense to me now.

Actually the first ATV I ever rode had a twist throttle and I'm so accustomed to it that it wasn't unnatural and I had no problems with it at all. When I rode a thumb throttle I didn't notice the reasoning in the difference.
Now that I think about it a noob buddy of mine bought his first quad used with a twist throttle and complained about gassing it in rough or uphill sections when he didn't want to. I figured it was just because he was a new rider, but now I'm thinking there is more to it than that. He just didn't have the years of biking and being loose on the bars behind him. When things just become nature it's easy to not factor them in. I think I owe my buddy a drink and a lesson.

Thanks a ton--

superquadguy
08-11-2005, 11:38 AM
it is also a good way to keep your buddies from riding your bike:devil: