PDA

View Full Version : need help asap

badtothebone440
07-26-2005, 12:54 PM
Alright guys, tore everything down off the EX I bought on ebay. Supposedly it was supposed to be a 440, but we tear it down and its not 89mm bore, its about 87mm (426 maybe?). Well of course I called the man I bought it from and I told him I wanted to pay for it becoming a 440 (I can get wiseco 440 kit and stage 2 cam for $280 from ebay) and he complained and said that the quad was worth every bit of what I gave for it and I could either keep it or put it back together and get my money back from him if I gave it back to him. Now what I am trying to do now is find a way to make my 87 mm into 440ccs cheaply and without boring the cylinder anymore. So how about stroking? I don't really want to raise the compression because I don't want to run high octane gas and I don't want all the headaches involved with it. Is there anyway I can add a longer crank to it and if so would it be cost effective? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks again guys

FoxRacing81
07-26-2005, 01:04 PM
Alright...

87mm is 416. 88mm is 426 and 89.5 mm is 440 I think...(I think I read most companies just call there 89mm pistons 440 when there actually only 435....)

I would think that buying a stroker would be more costly and provide more headaches then buying an 88mm sleeve and having your cylinder resleeved and bored for the 440...

However, did you know 426 creates more power and creates less heat then 440?..just an option...

I guess you could call up FST for options on a stroker...but I think it'd be more costly and stuff with that..

-Justin

badtothebone440
07-26-2005, 01:17 PM
yeah I've heard that as well but isn't it only the high compression 426's that run with 440s? I figured stroking would be expensive but I cant afford blowing head gaskets and running very high octane. 426 would be a great alternative IF I can make just as much power as a 440, but I'm afraid I will have to put money into cams and exhaust then......right now I have 2100 in the quad and I am trying to make competitive with a 440 for under 2500, if I can't I don't know whether it's really worth my time or not cause I could have bought a stock one and done the 440 work to it myself for that amount. Basically the guy I made the ebay transaction SHOULD take care of it....although he didn't know it was a 440 it's still very much his responsibility to sell something as advertised or make it as advertised. Anyone deal with ebay enough to tell me what my options are? I'm between a rock and a hard place because of HIS screw-up, not mine....the quad also had the frame cracked, bearings out, and the exhaust is all torn up that he FAILED to mention to me even though I drilled him with questions regarding them. It seems like I should be able to do something about it. Anyway, thanks for the help again guys...maybe someday a post will come up and I will give advice instead of always getting it :cool:

FoxRacing81
07-26-2005, 02:11 PM
Do this...

Run 426 11:1, you can still run 93 octane on 11:1, and it'll still make good power, get GT Thunder H-D Headstuds installed, and it should make plenty more power then 440. Just for a pre-caution, I'd get the 88m sleeve instead of bring the stock sleeve...you can bore the stock sleeve, but it's kinda too far for 426...I'd reccommend an LA Sleeve 88mm sleeve...def worth it..

-Justin

duke416ex
07-26-2005, 03:07 PM
What numbers are written on top of the piston?

badtothebone440
07-26-2005, 03:09 PM
the head off the piston was black and carboned up...couldnt make out any numbers