PDA

View Full Version : Kasea water intrusion...

scottso
07-26-2005, 11:27 AM
I posted on this a while back - about water getting into the CVT cover causing belt slippage. When I first bought this machine I had to do 3 changes on the gear oil (SAE 40) because it was milky with water contamination. I just figured the prior owner was neglect in changing it - ever. I just did a change again (maybe 2 hours or so after my last change) and it is contaminated again - significantly.:confused: How is this water getting in? Is it finding it's way in throgh the clutches inside the CVT cover? Anyone else have this problem?

OhioViper
07-27-2005, 02:11 PM
Are you running in deep water ? You may be pulling water in through the vent tube. I would think it would have to leak oil out if it would let water in through the seals.

scottso
07-27-2005, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by OhioViper
I would think it would have to leak oil out if it would let water in through the seals.

That is what I would think.
My son did have it in enough water that the belt got wet and we needed to give it some running time to dry it. Where is the vent tube? I know of a small plastic 90 elbow with about 3" of vinyl tubing coming off the right side of the crankcase - when I got the machine I extended that up higher to keep it dryer - but I don't think that has anything to do with the gearbox anyway.

OhioViper
07-27-2005, 03:56 PM
I just noticed that you said sae 40. I think you need to use 80 or 90 gear lube.

scottso
07-28-2005, 06:38 AM
The manual on the machine calls for straight 40W. I thought it was strange too (I have actually gone back and checked it several times thinking I was reading it wrong), but that is what is written in the manual. Is anybody else using gear 80-90W gear oil? This is an '01 if it makes a difference.

Livin4Real
07-29-2005, 09:24 PM
we run bel-ray 85wt and you do still have the gasket on the clutch cover don't you?

scottso
08-01-2005, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by Livin4Real
we run bel-ray 85wt and you do still have the gasket on the clutch cover don't you?

Just so I'm clear - your manual calls for 40W also right? The manual from '01 doesn't inspire much confidence (poor English, misspellings, etc.) - but I know 40W is the lube that is specified. Just want to be sure. And it is straight 85W that you run - or 85W-90 synthetic?

...and yes, the gasket is there. Although maybe replacing it wouldn't hurt. I was really curious about any other ways for water to find it's way in (vent lines, etc). But it seems there isn't any.

wvspeedfreak
08-01-2005, 06:21 PM
Yes,the manual calls for sae 40w.We have been running that for almost 2 years now without any problems.

Livin4Real
08-02-2005, 12:51 AM
The heavier wt gives the gears more cushion, some may argue it cuts hp but it's not noticeable (to us anyway)

scottso
08-02-2005, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
Yes,the manual calls for sae 40w.We have been running that for almost 2 years now without any problems.

wvspeedfreak - when you say you have been running "that" - do you mean you run 40W or 85W like Livin4Real?

wvspeedfreak
08-02-2005, 03:08 PM
We have been running sae40w since we got it new and haven't had any problems.I may,however,switch to a heavier synthetic oil.