PDA

View Full Version : starter rpms

nosliw
07-26-2005, 12:31 AM
i know it's going to be different for each machine, but generally with a fully charged battery, how many rpms doe it spin the motor?

usually when i change my oil i put the switch to kill and turn the engine over a few times before i start it back up. old superstition of mine, but was wondering actually how slower it's going then idle (1400rpm give or take for the ex, not sure for the kfx)

nosliw
07-27-2005, 12:00 AM
anyone got a guess?

bwamos
07-27-2005, 09:11 AM
Couple hundred tops with the load of the engine on it. It doesn't have to turn it very fast to get it to start.

1400rpm sounds awful high for idle. I dont own a 400ex but my 300ex definatly idles a lot slower than that.

nosliw
07-27-2005, 11:18 AM
that 1400rpm figure is straight from my shop manuals. i havent actually hooked mine up to a tach to adjust it, i just get it to where it sounds right. maybe a little lower than what sounds normal to utilize some of those lowlowlow end :cool:

so a couple hundred? cool. thanks.

plkmonster2
07-27-2005, 09:20 PM
1400 is correct. I hook mine up to a diagnostic machine each season to get it perfect. I noticed the engine will barely idle at 750 rpm, and die anything under that. I can really notice anything above or below when riding, especially taking off. My aunts is lower than mine, and I always stall hers. Yes, the starter doesn't spin the motor very fast. I'll hook it up one day, and I'll let you know. I should have my 400 back soon. It is still at my uncles after the ride on the weekend.

nosliw
07-27-2005, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by plkmonster2
1400 is correct. I hook mine up to a diagnostic machine each season to get it perfect. I noticed the engine will barely idle at 750 rpm, and die anything under that. I can really notice anything above or below when riding, especially taking off. My aunts is lower than mine, and I always stall hers. Yes, the starter doesn't spin the motor very fast. I'll hook it up one day, and I'll let you know. I should have my 400 back soon. It is still at my uncles after the ride on the weekend.

cool thanks.

hey i'm going to be over in your part of the state within the next month or two to see family, we should hook up and ride :macho

plkmonster2
07-27-2005, 09:35 PM
Also, it sounds like the engine is idling at only 700 rpm because it is a four stroke. It only "pops" every other rotation. Dang, it is hard to type with an ice cream cone in your hand...

plkmonster2
07-27-2005, 09:36 PM
Sweet, where are you headed? Let me know. Also, do you have MSN messenger?

nosliw
07-27-2005, 09:42 PM
yea dude ahkuusisto@hotmail.com

i THINK my moms aunt or sister or who ever we're visiting lives in kennewick but im not sure.

plkmonster2
07-31-2005, 03:48 PM
I just checked it out, and it spun 875 rpm's. It's just a hair above what the engine will idle.