PDA

View Full Version : Timing

QuadRacer18
07-25-2005, 10:46 PM
I went riding the other day. The quad all a sudden started running like crap( bad throttle response and the engine kept dieing out) So i took it home and changed the gas beause i figured it had water in it. Then rode it with new gas and it ran the same as before, crappy. I heard slight ticking noise but didnt think anything of it:confused: so rode it. It rode a little better as time went on so i figured there was water in my carb. It would bogg if you got on the throttle quickly. Then all of a sudden i heard loud ticking noise and the quad shut off. It started back up and the noise cotinued, the quad wouldnt stay running unless you pumped the throttle. after being a jackass for riding it like i did i realize it was probably the timing chain:mad: so i took the clutch cover off and sure enough it was VERY loose. Could the sudden, very loud ticking noise, be from the chain getting real loose in an instant or maybe the chain jumping the teeth on the sprocket because it was so loose causing the timing to be kicked off worse????

cals400ex
07-26-2005, 12:39 AM
make sure the bolts that hold the cam to the sprocket don't come loose. a buddy of mine had that happen. we did catch it before any bad news happened. it was ticking loud though. your timing chain may be too stretched or your timing chain tensioner may be bad

if the bike is just running like crap i would make sure no dirt got into the carb

QuadRacer18
07-26-2005, 10:09 AM
anyone know where I can get a cam chain tensioner for cheap. thanks

bwamos
07-26-2005, 10:47 AM
Did the tensioner go bad (not likley)? or did the chain slip off of the lower "sprocket" on the Crankshaft? Almost sounds like the chain jumped off.

QuadRacer18
07-26-2005, 01:34 PM
I havent yet dissasembled the engine to where i can pull the cain off, I spun the clutch basket and the timing chain was still on the sprockets moving, I think that maybe its so loose that it was jumping teeth on the sprockets.

Rico
07-26-2005, 01:38 PM
Pull the timing chain tensioner out and check it. If you can squeeze it in then it's bad.

I know of a few people that had to replace theirs several times so I would look at that first if your chain is loose.

greg_gorrell
08-03-2005, 08:19 AM
yeah, i just got mine ripping for a few days and mine chain got loose anbd jumped time. the thing is i cant get it tight again...maybe it stretched but im gonna go make sure that its not just off the bottom sprocket. btw does anyone know what year crf450 chain will work?

jak1389
08-03-2005, 08:54 AM
an 02. call up c&d racing, they can hook you up with one for $33.

greg_gorrell
08-04-2005, 08:30 AM
i went down to the local dealer and hes hooking me up for $25, plus i dont have to wait for it to get to indiana or where ever and the wait for them to ship it here. ill have it tommorrow with no shipping fees :D