PDA

View Full Version : Local engine builders

redrider9045
07-25-2005, 07:16 PM
Hey i had my engine done by a local engine builder just a simple piston swap could have done myslef didnt know why i did it But broke it in right rode it for probaly about 4 races it locks up. Im thinking im not running the gas right cus i was supposed to run 3-1 race gas and pump and i ran straight race gas so im thinking i Blew a ring ok so i take off the head the cam twisted in half. Went side ways cracked the head and the guy told me he was gonna bore it out. Turns out he re sleeved it same size and the sleev wasnt compressed in thur at all it just popped out and the crank bearing shot eveyrthing is pretty much gone so if you can do it ur self instead of paying money to someone else who never done that type of motor do it yourself not saying eveyr local engine builder is bad but make sure theyve done that type of motor b4. Any ways does any one have a stock
Cylinder
Head
Cam
Valves
Cam Bearings for a 300ex 4 sale ???

Pvt. Maggot
07-25-2005, 07:29 PM
Thats BS call him and tell him you want him to replace your motor..thats exactly why I do all my own work on everything. I'd take them to court if needed.

07-25-2005, 07:46 PM
what he said ^^^ i think im prolly more pissed at that guy than you are, go kick him in tha nuts at least, or somthing

hondardr4life
07-25-2005, 07:59 PM
I would kick that dumb mofo's *** if he wouldn't pay for my motor!! Thats why I do my own motor work...

exman
07-25-2005, 09:07 PM
i have 6 bottom engines sitting in my shop from 300ex's just like this

did it look like it pulled the sleeve in the cylinder down into the main bearing crank area....if so there is probably peices of that cylinder sleeve all over.

couple things happen to cuase this....one the sleeve actually cracks,,and the rings catch the crack and pull it down.

or the rings twiste and go up and catch between wall and piston and she brings it right down.

i would take it back to him and see if you can work something with him...but basically the motor is shot unless you tear it down replace bearings and individually clean off all hard parts.

i get 6 of them that need that and they still sit.

MX300ex
07-25-2005, 09:27 PM
i got a hole 2001 300ex motor forsale...mods include only a stage 2 sparks MX cam..make offer if interested

redrider9045
07-26-2005, 08:10 AM
Thanks for everything but when I took off the Valve cover was missing a bolt which was there b4 i gave it to him and then i took the valve cover off and turns out that bolt helped keep the cam in place thats how it got sideways and F*&&&& everything up the piston i sfine but looks ike sumtin like radiator fluid or or sumtin like burned on top of it and nothing wrong with the rings or the the sleeve far as scratch wise but it just slips out of teh cylinder with ease that shouldnt be right?? and 300ex how much for your engine i dont think im looking for a a whole new engine but might be able to make a deal thanx

exman
07-26-2005, 08:14 AM
what bolt are you talking about,,,,, the whole valve cover helps keep the cam in place,,,not just one bolt,,,unless your just talking the timming chain sprocket bolts.

which bolt

redrider9045
07-26-2005, 09:38 AM
sry dont have a pic but if you flip the valve cover over you see the bracket that hold the cam down well there 3 or four bolts in those brackets and one was missing so the brackets wernt bolted down all the way

rbm300ex
03-13-2007, 09:53 PM
exman-
hoping you may still check the board and might get this or someone else who may have experience or insight into this.

I just had what you described above happen to my built 300ex. The sleeve got pulled down into the lower case and partialy dissintegrated - alot of little iron chuncks & pieces in the bottom of the lower end. Had a shop bore the cyl. and port the head and I assembled it all. Ran super and got quite a bit of use from it, was trail riding normal and the thing just stopped. I thought I threw the drive chain at first, but nope, that was ok, got it home and thought maybe the cam chain was the culprit cause that was what I thought may have been the weak link as it was not replaced when I rebuilt. Well upon breakdown, it was clear what had happened - just as you described. Glad to find your post as I used the search function of this board to see if someone else had experienced this.

Well, after all the above, I'm going to rebuild it, I realize it will need a new piston, sleeve and the basics but what do I need to do to get the lower end clean. Will it mean splitting the cases and cleaning everything or can it be done another way? Crank bearings? I realize some is determined by extent of damage but I'm wondering what the procedure is to begin the cleanup/rebuild. What would you do? I have the Clymer manual to guide me into it too but never gotten into the lower end.
Thanks\
Randy:(

54warrior
03-14-2007, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by rbm300ex
Will it mean splitting the cases and cleaning everything?

I wouldn't feel comfortable putting it back together without splitting them and cleaning everything. It may take longer, but is worth the peace of mind and added level of prevention from that piece you might have missed wrecking it again.

rbm300ex
03-14-2007, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the reply. That was my initial thinking also. I just did'nt know if there was another way or what was the procedure exman would go thru to rectify the situation in the motors he had. :confused:

Still hoping for input.

Randy

2muchquad
03-19-2007, 11:17 PM
unless the sleeve itself breaks its would be almost impossible for it to drop down in the cylinder because there is a ridge at the top of the sleeve that rest in the index at the top of the cylinder.I would imagine anything could be possible though.red rider i have a spare cylinder head and a stock cam,no valve cover with good rockers though:D