PDA

View Full Version : Elka's or Works

JForestZ34
07-25-2005, 02:33 PM
Which would you rather have and tell me why they would be better then the other.

James

07-25-2005, 02:36 PM
ELKAS!!!!!!!!!! You get waht you pay for. comparing works to elkas is like comparing john natalies 450r to a 250ex:macho

raptorrider686
07-25-2005, 02:36 PM
IMO The elkas are more durable. Thats just my opinion though

450r51
07-25-2005, 02:42 PM
wow i just shot myself in the head

YFZ450Ridr
the elka elite series are some of the best shocks made. works shocks are better than stock, but nothing compared to elkas!

hondardr4life
If you have the money, definetly go for Elka's. But if you have the money for elka's then you should just pay like $100 more or however much it is and get PEP's. But if you don't have the money, then works are better than stock by far!

SRH
07-25-2005, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by 450r51
wow i just shot myself in the head

another one bites the dust

450r51
07-25-2005, 06:06 PM
what district u race srh i race d4 and go to all the tracks in it.

Curless #32
07-26-2005, 06:29 AM
Have any of you guys posting against the Works shocks ever run Black Widows???? I'm guessing not, I have them and love them. They are far better than ever before, and the guys and gals at Works treat me great.

I am not saying that Elkas are not sweet, for me the Black Widows work great for the money.

TwentyBelow131
07-26-2005, 09:29 AM
Elka.

As someone said above, you get what you pay for

07-26-2005, 11:13 AM
I sell both brand and have ran both brands. When i first started racing there was mainly works and alot of riders in the desert where i race where sponsered by them, but works are old technology with a ball and spring piston you are limited to adjustments you can make internally. With a elka as most know they have a shim stack which makes it more accesable to adjust plus the elka holds more fluid which in turn keeps the shock running cooler. Another dissavantage to the works shock is that it has very week bladers on the resevoir. 99% of the time when i service a works i have to replace a blader. If you want a shock for an extended length of time my choice out of those two would be an elka. I have done work on the new black widow works and i can not say it impresses me much with a company that has been around that long. mainly get something that you are comfortable with and have fun riding.

MX300ex
07-26-2005, 11:35 AM
hmmhmhmmh hard choice...

elka..they are 1 of the best setups around....not hte best but 1 of them....

like what ''aLLoY MX 428'' u get what u pay for

hardkoratvmxr
07-26-2005, 12:17 PM
elka you get what you pay for

<DRS>GPF
07-26-2005, 04:44 PM
works...

and in general, as far as aftermarket shocks go.. what a scam.. like most after market parts for quads, you do not get what youre paying for.

the best you can do is to not buy something that wont give you the desired result. you want a smooth, plush ride when you buy shocks and the elkas ive tried didnt impress me. (brand new on 2 different quads..)

i dont ride MX and trails arent smooth(especially when youre trailblazing) my works are noticably better for trail riding. as id mentioned in other posts, my only regret is i didnt get reserviours when i first bought them. but that will be fixed during the winter teardown for PC'ing.

PC-AW, dont you think it could be the volume of shocks sold as a primer for the significant difference in the repairs you noted. also your location could add to the difference as well. ive seen more works shocks than any other at the OHV parks. (i suspect due to the pricing) the few other aftermarkets ive seen were on someones quad that does more racing than trailriding. (or perhaps the impression they want to make)

ive heard the same type of comments for a variety of products, (from boats to cars and many parts in between) but the ones making the comments didnt seem to consider the greater volume of sales of these products over their competitors.
consider the mitsubishi engine, ive not heard alot of good about them, but taking a look at a bigger picture... chrysler used that engine on their mini-vans which was the #1 selling family vehicle(if not the #1 vehicle sold period) for years. so it stands to reason that youd hear more about them than any other.

im not bashing PC-AW or anyone else, but i dont think this board which seems to be predominantly made up of MX'ers and MX wannabe's, give works shocks a fair shake. (regardless of what series your talking about)