PDA

View Full Version : rebuild time

baseballplaya23
07-25-2005, 12:18 PM
alright guys help me out a lil. ive had my bike for like 6 months and raced it like 15 times and havent rebuilt it yet. im goin to tear it down today so what are some things to look for and what should i need to rebuild the top end? just a new piston and rings or what? also what kinda piston is a good piston and all that stuff?

wilkin250r
07-25-2005, 01:05 PM
I'm sure you've heard everybody say it on here. Rebuilds for 2-strokes are required more often than 4-strokes. As such, you certainly don't want to be boring out the cylinder every rebuild. Overbores are valuable, not to be wasted.

Replace the piston, not just the rings. I recommend Pro-X, they are cast, and seem to be a little more friendly on the cylinder than the forged aluminum like Wiseco. In theory, the forged aluminum should last longer, but at the expense of increased risk on the bore. Me, personally, my first priority is bore life, not piston life.

However, that doesn't mean Wiseco is a "bad" choice, you'll still be just fine if you decide to go that route.

zedicus00
07-25-2005, 03:02 PM
just check yur compression when it getsd low do a topend job.

only bore it if the bore is starting to get out of round or its out of spec for piston to wall clearance. or scuffed/gouged.

ive always used wiesco with good success.

always replace the piston pin bearing

break in is key

CR gasket kit.

for thouse looking for extra life out of anything, GET IT CRYOED!

theres a bunch of mods u can do to that part of the quad while its off that r very easy. even styuff like porting the reed and intake boot and match porting everything helps a lot.

JTRtrx250r
07-25-2005, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I'm sure you've heard everybody say it on here. Rebuilds for 2-strokes are required more often than 4-strokes. As such, you certainly don't want to be boring out the cylinder every rebuild. Overbores are valuable, not to be wasted.

Replace the piston, not just the rings. I recommend Pro-X, they are cast, and seem to be a little more friendly on the cylinder than the forged aluminum like Wiseco. In theory, the forged aluminum should last longer, but at the expense of increased risk on the bore. Me, personally, my first priority is bore life, not piston life.

However, that doesn't mean Wiseco is a "bad" choice, you'll still be just fine if you decide to go that route. I agree w/ dude

I do use wiseco pistons, the key to wiseco's is to let the motor really warm up good, I dont even put it in gear till I feel a a decent amount of heat on the radiator

Let a wiseco warm up good and you'll never have a 4 corner seizure like ppl have had. Ive had at least 15 and never had a problem, but thats me personally..

hollywood250r
07-27-2005, 08:28 PM
If you are going to switch piston types I recommend that you measure the cylinder and make sure that you have the proper piston clearance. Wiseco pistons require more piston to cylinder clearance then Pro X pistons. If you switch directly to Pro X pistons without have you bore set up for it you could have excessive clearance and shatter a piston skirt or increase the egg in the cylinder.