PDA

View Full Version : Tecate Problems: Clutches? Motor? Porting????

kxf250
07-24-2005, 11:32 PM
I need some troubleshooting help. I have an 88 tecate that has lost all its bottom end. It acts like the clutches are slipping, but the clutch ***. is good and it runs great once in the powerband. Or could it be the fact that it has a 300 kit with a drag port and an old school fmf. So any help would be great.

wilkin250r
07-25-2005, 09:23 AM
Drag porting and FMF? It's sounds like your porting isn't matched properly to your pipe. Drag porting is going to be hi-rev, while the FMF pipe is going to be designed for overall power, with an emphasis on midrange. The FMF pipe is designed for the stock porting.

I would suggest a different pipe to match your porting. The Tecate is rare, so you may have trouble finding a pipe for it, and may need to get one made. You might want to check into Shearers Custom pipes.

With that said, you're still not going to have much low-end at all, expecially with the drag porting, but I don't really know how much or how little you have, so I can't really tell you if you're seeing something abnormal or not. You might need to take it to a professional to have it looked at.