PDA

View Full Version : cracked side case

YFZ450Ridr
07-24-2005, 01:32 PM
man today we were out ridin and i got on it in 3rd to do wheelie and all of the sudden i had no wheel spin at all. looked down and theirs oil leaking out of my side case with a snapped chain. it isnt really bad, but there is a little crack behind the counter shaft sproket which leaks oil if u start it up. i needed a new chain and sprokets any way so oh well. at least we brought the 110 and 50. i got some seat time on the 110 and raptor 700 and had fun. i was getting good air on the raptor, it feels really light when you jump it and controls easy in the air. all in all it was a good, HOT day. we got there at 7 when the park opened and left at 12:30. i jump the 50 and about killed myself on the landing, boy what a site to see:p any way thought id share my story, i think im gona hang the broken chain up on the wall in my shed and use it for when i have to whip my dad when he acts up:blah:

07-24-2005, 01:42 PM
how big is the hole, you might beable to get by jb welding it

YFZ450Ridr
07-24-2005, 01:52 PM
its just a crack, not very big. jb weld is an option but my uncle has a nice mig welder we could try. welding tho, could expand the metal and change the shape of somthing. i dont really know, my dad and i are gona tear into it next week and find the problem!

07-24-2005, 01:53 PM
ouch my freind cracked his left case and it was alot of money tofix. diud the chain rap around the sprocket? That happened to me before. Sucks whent hat happens.

YFZ450Ridr
07-24-2005, 01:54 PM
well when i hopped off to look at it. the top part of the chain was a little bunched up, but i got it out with my hands it wasnt bad. just when the chain snapped it smacked the side case and made a nice mess for me.

theTman
07-24-2005, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by kickerkfx444
ouch my freind cracked his left case and it was alot of money tofix. diud the chain rap around the sprocket? That happened to me before. Sucks whent hat happens.

happened to me...they had to cut my sprocket in half to get the chain out

07-24-2005, 02:45 PM
whoa that sucks!

07-24-2005, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by theTman
happened to me...they had to cut my sprocket in half to get the chain out

eek i just put mine is reverse lol

07-24-2005, 06:27 PM
God forbid you take the motor out instead of cutting the sprocket in 1/2

theTman
07-24-2005, 07:40 PM
lol it happened 2 yras ago when i got the quad...

TCracin440ex
07-24-2005, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by 250EXridr
its just a crack, not very big. jb weld is an option but my uncle has a nice mig welder we could try. welding tho, could expand the metal and change the shape of somthing. i dont really know, my dad and i are gona tear into it next week and find the problem!

ixnay on the jb weld...i tried jb weld on a pinn hole in the side case of my 250x...and it still leaked oil like a mofo....best bet is either have it welded up, or look ito find a used non broken case off ebay or something...

YFZ450Ridr
07-24-2005, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
ixnay on the jb weld...i tried jb weld on a pinn hole in the side case of my 250x...and it still leaked oil like a mofo....best bet is either have it welded up, or look ito find a used non broken case off ebay or something...

thanks for the heads up! at least i was cookin along in 5th and the chain snap then. that could of been worse than it was. i havent gotten a chance to tear into the 400 yet so itll be good for me to learn how everything is set up on it.

TCracin440ex
07-24-2005, 08:21 PM
id suggest you buy a cylmer repair manuel to help you out...i kno when i took my cases appart all kinda gears and shyt fell out

YFZ450Ridr
07-24-2005, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
id suggest you buy a cylmer repair manuel to help you out...i kno when i took my cases appart all kinda gears and shyt fell out

well my dad and i will pull the motor ourselves, but once we do that the motor goes to our mechainic that worked at a donnelsons cycles for yamaha motorcycles as a mechainic for 10 years. he is the only guy we trust. done all our motor work for years.

YFZ450Ridr
07-25-2005, 01:21 PM
snapped a few pics, oil leaked everywhere and made a mess.

http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/9093/sidecase10vp.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/774/sidecase20fw.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

chain looks hidious(sp?) i dont think the previous owner ever cleaned it because i tried and most of that stuff is stuck on there. least my new chain will have a master link so i can take it off. but the chain wasnt too tight i dont know how it snapped.

http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/4639/chain0ed.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

2001400exrider
07-25-2005, 02:17 PM
isnt there a stock case saver on a Z?? will my ex stock case saver hold up if my chain breaks?

brian-250
07-25-2005, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by 2001400exrider
isnt there a stock case saver on a Z?? will my ex stock case saver hold up if my chain breaks?

if your not going 60MPH it will more then likely hold up.

yea james just fill that mofo with some brass then put some engine paint on it, be good as new.;)

2001400exrider
07-25-2005, 02:29 PM
well isnt it most likly to go when im goin 60mph lol? what are some good case savers and that GAURENTEED to hold up, not mattering how fast ur goin?

YFZ450Ridr
07-25-2005, 02:45 PM
there was a case saver on there, but the chain bent it completly sideways, i barely got it off.

most companies make pretty beefy billet case savers, and thier are alot on ebay also.

Punk'd
07-25-2005, 06:38 PM
there was a case saver on there, but the chain bent it completly sideways, i barely got it off.

most companies make pretty beefy billet case savers, and thier are alot on ebay also.

James lets make one out of a coke can:p Hope you get it fixed soon bro:)

400exrules
07-25-2005, 07:25 PM
on my 99 i think it still has the stock chain, cuz it looks like crap. When should i get a new chain, and where does the case saver go, behind the sprocket?

lil400exman
07-25-2005, 08:58 PM

Big no no on welding the case with a MIG welder. The case is a magnesium blend which if not welded right (very hard to weld) will just catch on fire and burn it down. The best bet would be take it to a racing shop that deals with high end engines and they might be able to do it or at least know where to send it. That rip/crack/tear/gouge is small enough a weld job would hold fine. JB weld also works well. Whoever said it didnt do it right. Just like painting, if you dont prep the surface well its gone in no time. You must sand the surface so it has something to grip to, clean with with alky and then use a heat gun to finish up. I did this repair to a buddys warrior about 3 years ago and its holding up well with day in and day out riding!

About the case saver (400exrules) what it does is it goes in between the case and front sprocket and acts a guide and filler to keep the chain moving. It sits very close to the chain/sprocket to keep it sliding and not let it bunch up.

On the best one its under constant debate. Some say 1/4" is best some say thin ones that greande are best because it protects your case and eats up with impact. I say how and what happens is the factor.

I reccomend you adding a dirtbike style slider on the rear. This will save you from probably 90% of all chain-derailments.

So my vote is do a good JB weld job on it and if it doesnt work have the welder take a mini die grinder and take it off and weld it. :)