PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Bad? Clutch Going Bad? Need some help

HondaRacing23
07-24-2005, 07:29 AM
My stock clutch witch had been on the bike since 2000 im guessing has never been change. It is not slippping but it is pretty had to pull the lever and it is ajusted as far as it can go down by the engine. Ill take pictures if u need more explenation. Am I do for a new clutch or is there something wrong with something else. The cable isnt very old so I dont think thats the plroblem. need some help. I work at a dealership and they rold me that they dont make cable lubers anymore that im suppoed to use 6 in 1 oil by belrae. Dont think they know there stuff too much but thats what they told me.

fastkid400
07-24-2005, 07:35 PM
Well if the clutch isnt slipping, then i would say that you Don't need a new clutch. Its prolly something with the cable, you can get a luber from Rocky Mountain. I would try that before a new clutch.

400exrider707
07-24-2005, 09:58 PM
Either lube the cable or buy a new cable, but dont bother with the clutch if its not slipping. If that doesn't solve it then you might just need a new clutch basket.

duke416ex
07-25-2005, 07:06 AM
I would lube the crap out of the cable first and see what that does, if it helps any then get a new cable. If you ride in much mud at all it doesn't take long to get them clogged up.

HondaRacing23
07-25-2005, 05:00 PM
I just replaced the cable not that long ago ill try getting a new cable i should be able to get one farely cheap. if the cable was stretched would that make me have to ajust it all the way out like it is...? i dont know if it is slipping or not really it doesnt seem to be. the bike runs like **** though i dont know. i know my jetting is all messed up and im going to be getting a card here soon so i hope that fixes my prob. is the edlebrock card a good choice for the money?

duke416ex
07-26-2005, 07:21 AM
Ebelbrock are some of the best, if the clutch is slipping you should notice it more in 5th gear. Yea, the cable stretching would be why it is adjusted all the way out. I don't have much luck with cables either, I get a new one every 3 months or so.

blastereatin250
07-26-2005, 08:15 AM
A good way to know if it is slipping is to face a brick wall with the front tires touching it. Slowly let out the clutch without giving it any gas. If it dies it's not slipping.

HondaRacing23
07-26-2005, 07:16 PM
ill give that a try when there isnt tornados flying everywhere like tonight. Ill do it tomorrow. ill pick up a clutch cable tomorrow at work and try that and see if it dont fix my problemo. should i go with a 39mm eldlebrock i think it is? thanks guys...

enduro400rider
07-27-2005, 08:17 AM
those 400ex cables are known for breaking and stretching. mine broke compleatly off when i was out ridin a few miles from home. it wasnt easy but i rode it back. as for your carb get the 440 carb i dont remember what size it is but i have the normal 400 edelbrock carb and im about to send it back for a 440

HondaRacing23
08-07-2005, 07:44 AM
The clutch didnt appear to look bad but i replaced it anyways since i got it cheap and already bought it. I got a new cable and it is still ajusted almost as far as it will go on the bars and case. it is really hard to pull to. what else could it be? The basket didnt look bad but then again i dont know if they wear down or whatever. what do i look for. thanks

Cody_300ex
08-07-2005, 04:54 PM
Thats a mistake most people make, adjust the cable out to far then think the clutch is slipping. You need to adjust it out far enough where you can almost touch the lever and it slips, no more, no less. You may have it adjusted out so far its tougher to pull in. Or your just plain out weak. Might want to invest in a e-z pull perch and lever.

450robot
08-07-2005, 06:25 PM
liked stated before, its probably not your clutch, ussually when clutchs wear, you can smell burning fiber from your motor

HondaRacing23
08-07-2005, 08:00 PM
i have an easy pull lever. if i dont ajust the clutch at the perch all the way out then it has so much play it wont even engage. i have to have it how i do now in order for it to even move but it should have to be ajusted all the way out...

250x_Case
08-07-2005, 08:23 PM
sorry to jack the thread but im having a simular problem with my 90-91? 250x, the bike was driving fine i shut it off for acouple min's went to drive it again as i was going down a hill i stoped cuz someone was there. shifted into 1st then tryed to get neutral but the cable got very hard to pull. im just lookin for some info be4 i start to pull the clutch out.. BTW is it any diff then a car's clutch? i havnt owned a bike in awhile but im fimiliar with doin motor swaps and such on cars is it that much diff if any?

HondaRacing23
08-07-2005, 08:33 PM
well im my 400ex i would say yea it is much different the a care. u have plates and fibers once right after each.i would say try replacing your cable before i dug into the motor.

250x_Case
08-07-2005, 08:38 PM
but can a cable go withen secs?? i mean it was working good then when i got to the hill it felt hard. BTW someone i know that owns a 250x said i should check the bracket that holds it what should i be looking for?

HondaRacing23
08-07-2005, 08:49 PM
on a 250X im not sure i have never seen it. but it is a honda so it may be just like the 400ex. it has to bolts on the side case that holds the cable ont it on the right side crankcase(clutch side) im not sure if it is the same but thats what a 400 looks like

250x_Case
08-07-2005, 10:01 PM
from what ive seen it has that but how to u adjust it? is there a certin way or do i just have to find it?

QuadJunkies
11-05-2005, 12:15 AM
I have new cables, new perch, new lever(I think the cr250 or something like that ) AND a new basket and new clutch plates ect... NO DIFFERENCE

Mine is still stiff as a board....It feels pretty good with it adj out a bit, but then you can see the slippage is too much... :(
I know I have wimpy hands , I have Carpel tunnel and Tendonitis, I wish I knew FOR SURE whats good out ther so I could have an easy pull and reduce arm fatigue:ermm:

tater_kamik
11-05-2005, 08:01 AM
i have heard nothing but good things about the hydraulic clutch from magura. i may get one when i get back since fatigue is a big deal when hitting the track, you know that qj!

where it mounts to that bracket there should be a nut on either side. all you have to do is loosen the rear nut, and then adjust with the front nut.

QuadJunkies
11-05-2005, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by tater_kamik
i have heard nothing but good things about the hydraulic clutch from magura. i may get one when i get back since fatigue is a big deal when hitting the track, you know that qj!

where it mounts to that bracket there should be a nut on either side. all you have to do is loosen the rear nut, and then adjust with the front nut. We actually only new one guy with a hydraulic and his was a POS. he had alot of issues with it during a race :( Prol. just a fluke, Im going to lube the crap out of it again today and see if that works a little...

I know this is a little off topic but, I always LOVED the throddle on the Predator, it was VERY nice to ride with, alot less thumb fatigue when sand riding, any idea if I could run that on my EX?

Im thinkin on trying the E-Z pull since its fairly cheap and seeing how that works :)

11-05-2005, 11:58 AM
I have a 8 plate clutch in my ex, I have to replace clutch cables every 3 months or so. talk about arm fatigue, my girlfriend can barley pull the damn thing in all the way. lol.

I have on of thes hand excercise things, it is a spring w/ handles, it is soposed to build up your gripping muscles. I just squeaze it. well on my left hand I go for a good 4 mintues squeazing it. my right hand I can braley get 2 minutes in... and I am right handed.

QuadJunkies
11-05-2005, 02:56 PM
So if I get the EZ pull, do you have to run a dif. cable?Also, is it a clutch and perch?

tater_kamik
11-05-2005, 05:18 PM
you dont have to run a different cable, or atleast i didnt. thats too bad his didnt work, kind of makes me think twice about getting one. i love the way the clutch feels on my bike, very smooth and predictable, but i can ride it aggressively for a long time, too bad the quad doesnt feel the same way...:ermm:

400exrules
11-16-2005, 02:04 PM
what do u guys mean by slipping...when you have it pulled in all the way, you rev it, and it rolls forward a tad?

duke416ex
11-17-2005, 10:24 AM
If it is pulling when you have the clutch lever pulled you probably don't have the cable adjusted right. The slipping is more of when you have the lever out and are giving it gas, but the bike just isn't pulling right, or at all. You can usually tell this more when you are lugging the bike, instead of the motor going to lower rpms, it will rev cause the clutch is slipping.

I tried an easy pull lever on my 400 and it didn't help. I had barnett springs so that was where the tension on my clutch came from. I know many dirtbike riders who use magura hydraulic clutches and have no trouble and really like them. I have asv lever on my 450 and it seems to ease it some.

bwamos
11-17-2005, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
We actually only new one guy with a hydraulic and his was a POS. he had alot of issues with it during a race :( Prol. just a fluke, Im going to lube the crap out of it again today and see if that works a little...

I know this is a little off topic but, I always LOVED the throddle on the Predator, it was VERY nice to ride with, alot less thumb fatigue when sand riding, any idea if I could run that on my EX?

Im thinkin on trying the E-Z pull since its fairly cheap and seeing how that works :)

Use a TRX90 thumb throttle lever. It has a longer lever. Makes it easier to push.

QuadJunkies
11-17-2005, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
Use a TRX90 thumb throttle lever. It has a longer lever. Makes it easier to push. easier as in length or less stiff???

Anyone know if I could use a Predator thumb throddle??? Thats like pushin butter! :p