PDA

View Full Version : Steering Dampener..What are they Good for (MX)????

Pepto_Bismol
06-01-2002, 10:26 PM
I went to the opening of a new track 6 miles from my home (WHOOT) today and in my excitement rode like a red headed step child and not like I should have. In short, I over jumped a huge table top and crash landed. Although I was able to stay on my quad, I jacked up my left hand really bad. (Jammed it hard). It may be cracked. But my main question is, since the handlebars jerked my hand real hard (hence the pain...oh the pain...), would a steering dampener have possibly helped me in this situation? What exactly are they good for? Thanks, and heed to caution, because of impatience....I hurt!;)
Pepto:cool:

Pappy
06-01-2002, 10:35 PM
it might have helped. i just got mine installed so i can only go off the expierience of ridin my buddys 250r. i could blast across rutted sections without the bars being ripped from my hands. it seems to make the steering a bit sluggish at slow speeds but thats a trade off.

Zero Z400
06-01-2002, 11:39 PM
I think that only the stick type steering dampners make it harder to turn. If u don't feel like jamming ur wrist again u should get one of those wrist resters from houser. i think u mounts ur bars on it and it has a little shock inside. I think it would be a good investemnt, but i havn't heard of anyone having one. They are about $220.

Later

Texan32
06-03-2002, 08:56 AM
Zero is right. The steering dampener really help with rough terrain. If i'm not mistaken, not many MX racers run them. If they do, they run the adjustable one and turn them to full soft. They really shine in XC racing. It helps soak up the really roughness of the course.

In your case, i think it might have made it worse. The dampener would have resisted movent of the bars causeing more shock to your wrist.

just thought....

Wired
06-03-2002, 11:43 AM
why dont you just try one, i guess thats the only way to till if you'll like it or not. they're not too expensive, i buy my dampners from a volkswagon manufacturer for 20 bucks and come to find out its the identical dampner PEP supposably makes, same part number and same name under the PEP sticker, for about a quarter of the cost. they make it alot easeir on your wrists thats for damn sure. i also have a friend that runs a wrist rester and he said if he got a new quad it would be his first bolt on mod so it must be nice.

mmiller678
06-03-2002, 12:13 PM
WiredCinqmars -
What is VW part number? Do you have to buy any additional parts to mount it?

06-03-2002, 12:15 PM
But remember those PEP's are not rebuildable and have not gotten very good reviews. yeah it's better than nothing,,but don't waste too much money on it.

The dampner's can help on MX tracks some..at least the rough tracks we ride on..:eek: I like it best on the trails though..:D

06-03-2002, 12:17 PM
C'mon lets see that part number!

I am sure I can set up the brackets if need be.

EX 80
06-03-2002, 03:08 PM
The new pep's are rebuildable and i love mine. I just took it apart today. But I don't know what kind of oil to put in it and how much. Any one know?

mcmike
06-03-2002, 06:12 PM
I race XC, and have a PEP dampner. It really helps with the tree roots, and the rocks, but as far as "crash landings", You will most definately bend your tie rods, or break the dampner. As far as the amount of oil, I use motorcyle fork oil,and mine is filled to about 1/8 inch below the threads with the shaft pulled all the way out ( mine is rebuildable also).:huh

06-04-2002, 09:03 AM
Guy's I didn't say all PEP stabilizer's aren't rebuildable,,the new ones yes,,but the older style are not, the ones that go from the motor mount to the steering stem, which is the same thing as the VW stabilizer. I'm sure VW beetles made in the late 60's and early 70's don't have stabilzers that were just invented within the last 10 years..come on guys give me some credit..:rolleyes:

RytM1
06-04-2002, 03:34 PM
ATV Sport just did a short test of a few different stick-type dampeners, and two rotary-type. I don't have any experience with ATV's, but I have a Scott's dampener on my ZX-7, and I love it.