PDA

View Full Version : P.O.S 450r won't run Help!

schulte_85
07-23-2005, 04:27 PM
My quad runs great for about 10-15 minutes, then it starts to bog down and eventually it will quit running. It will idle fine and then I will hit the throttle and it will start bogging about mid throttle. I have checked all the electrical connections, cleaned the carb and the jets, air filter. I don't know what the hell is wrong with this thing, and it is also leaking oil out of that peep hole on the right side of the head. Does anyone know how to fix this leak, because my dealer is a moron, and nobody seems to know why it is leaking. It has been doing this all season now and I am sick of it. Why isn't it running right? Please Help. Thanks:grr:

MD450r
07-23-2005, 04:41 PM
If it is leaking oil out of that hole the valve cover gasket may not be in correctly, allowing the oil to drain into the spark plug cavity and out the little hole.

If the motor is running cleanly but wants to die it sounds like the carb may be running out of fuel. Take the fuel line off of the carb then turn the fuel on and check the flow.

This would be my first guess but did this problem start gradually or all of a sudden. Im just trying to get a better idea to help you out.

Aaron

mx8
07-24-2005, 12:24 AM
Buy a 400ex. :D :D :D :D :D :D

redlined94
07-24-2005, 01:32 AM
sounds like a bad gasket or somethin. It might be a seal somewhere because it dries out when no oil is runnin through it when it not runnin then when you ride it and that oil gets circulating it gets wet again and leaks. my 2 cents!!

schulte_85
07-24-2005, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by MD450r
If it is leaking oil out of that hole the valve cover gasket may not be in correctly, allowing the oil to drain into the spark plug cavity and out the little hole.

If the motor is running cleanly but wants to die it sounds like the carb may be running out of fuel. Take the fuel line off of the carb then turn the fuel on and check the flow.

This would be my first guess but did this problem start gradually or all of a sudden. Im just trying to get a better idea to help you out.

Aaron

It starting running poorly all of a sudden. I will check the fuel line today.

schulte_85
07-24-2005, 02:17 PM
I checked the fuel line and that is not the problem gas is running out fine and nothing is plugged up in the petcock.

walker054
07-24-2005, 02:20 PM
make sure your gas tank vent hose is not plugged up

450r51
07-24-2005, 02:36 PM
is ur airbox lid off, and u didnt rejet?

walker054
07-24-2005, 06:41 PM
sounds like the vent hose is clogged, remember the stock steering stem will hold water and if your vent hose is still inside the stem you can suck water and dirt into the vent hose.

schulte_85
07-25-2005, 06:41 AM
hrc lid, cam, hmf pipe, 13:1 piston 185 main. Vent hose is not plugged, it is not vapor locked.

GEARSMOKER
07-25-2005, 08:31 AM
did you check your tire pressure? that always seems to help when mine runs bad.:D hope you figure it out pauly!;)

duke416ex
07-25-2005, 09:38 AM
We just went through a similar problem with a 450 last week. We took it to the dealer to get an hrc kit in it, we didn't want to ruin warranty so we let them do it. When we got it home it wouldn't get over half throttle without cutting out. When we called them back they said they found a spot on the float that was catching on the bowl, factory defect so they said bring it back. We did.

They told us the second time it had race gas in it and water had setttled out of it, which it did not. So we picked it up again and the same thing. Finally we tok it back the third time and inside the carb, where the pin slides in that holds the float, one side had broken off that holds the pin and the float wasn't doing right. That was the prob with ours, so you might check it, sorry for the long post.

schulte_85
07-25-2005, 10:34 AM
I will take apart the carb tonight and look at it. Thanks for all the help

MJNOVA
07-26-2005, 03:13 PM
Paul,

Check your vent hose... I had the same thing for a while last year on my Yamaha and finally found it during a GNCC.