PDA

View Full Version : YZF or Predator ?

1BadRubicon
07-23-2005, 10:02 AM
Hey guy's

I'm getting a new quad this week and I can't decide. I have been riding a lightly modified 400EX for the last four years and want to take the next step in technology. I was originally going to stick with Honda but the headlight styling, and kickstart turned me off. I ride mainly cross country stuff, but I do occaisonally tackle a MX track. I like the power, styling, and suspension of both the YFZ, and the Predator. What are the ups, and downs of each? Reccomendations, technical knowledge, and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

450robot
07-25-2005, 03:19 AM
they are both very good choices for what you want, so im gonna sum it up for ya

a yfz, will treat you well for your mx and hard cross country racing, but just trail riding it will be to stiff to enjoy, and the seat will make your *** feel like you spent your night in a prison shower without any soap on a rope, other than that, it is probably top dog here

the predator will also be good for racing, it will do great in the cross country, but for mx, they are a little heavy, but they kick a yfz *** all up and down through the trails, and xc racing stock for stock, they are also much much more comfortable than a yfz, you can cruise all day, and you will still be comfy in the seat

i hope this helped you some

1BadRubicon
07-25-2005, 05:43 AM
Thanks. I really like the YFZ, but the TLD Predator might be the winner.

05predle
07-25-2005, 05:58 AM
Make sure you get the tld or LE models because that Fox suspension is worth every penny.

Flynbryan19
07-25-2005, 06:37 AM
I will echo what 05Predle said, Get the LE or the TLD! The podium series shocks make ALL the difference. ;)

Plus one thing the Pred has that the Yfz doesn't.......Reverse. :) I don't miss it, but it sure would be nice to have sometimes.

1BadRubicon
07-25-2005, 07:17 AM
I've been riding for 13 years and never had reverse, does it actually come in handy on a sport quad? Is the added weight of the Predator a hindering factor? Is there aftermarket support for the Predator like the Honda's and Yamaha's? I'm assuming if I purchase the TLD Predator I will notice a large performance difference between it and my current 400EX.

Thanks for all the help guys.

05predle
07-25-2005, 09:35 AM
I am coming from riding a 250r most of my life and obvioulsy never had reverse on a sport quad but after having it now I would never get one without it. Saturday I counted and used reverse 16 times while riding in the trails. Now Mx, you would probably never use it. The pred is way faster than 400ex, even a modded one. The only time I notice the weight diffenece between my pred and 250r (80lbs diff) is when moving it in the garage. and now there is plenty of aftermarket parts for the pred such as borekits, exhausts, cdi boxes, pipes,carbs, that you get a ton of horsepower if you feel you need more. I doubt you will want anything more than a pipe and filter combo.

1BadRubicon
07-25-2005, 09:44 AM
Man, I should never have doubted my YFZ decision :rolleyes: Now I'm leaning toward the Predator :confused: Should I buy the Troy Lee or the Special Edition, and why?

calds650
07-25-2005, 11:03 AM
if you ride your trails in 5th all the time I would get the LE if not the TLD.

Flynbryan19
07-25-2005, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by 1BadRubicon
Man, I should never have doubted my YFZ decision :rolleyes: Now I'm leaning toward the Predator :confused: Should I buy the Troy Lee or the Special Edition, and why?

You've had a few people give their opinion. Thats all we can really do for ya. Its your decision. Go with either one. I can guarentee you which ever one you get you'll be happy with it. ;)

The only difference between the LE and the TLD is the close ratio transmission.

1BadRubicon
07-25-2005, 11:22 AM
Thanks guys. I'll let you know what I decide.

450robot
07-25-2005, 12:25 PM
reverse isnt always needed, i mean, i havent had the need for it in my woods, but i know, i would be more happy with it, i have come into some sticky situations that would be alot easier to get out of if i had reverse

and it really doesnt add that much weight, so dont worry about it

what ever you go for, you made a good choice, there both great quads, you should have fun either way

xx3003xrdrxx
07-25-2005, 02:18 PM
yfz

Flynbryan19
07-25-2005, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by xx3003xrdrxx
yfz

LOL, boy that sure was insightfull and detailed.:rolleyes:

bigstud
07-27-2005, 07:17 PM
I bought a 2005 le last week and like you I looked up this site and asked the guys on here about the best bike. For a couple of days I read the replys and finally decided on the le. So I took it to the Pismo dunes here in California and what a bike. It beats my old atc250r in every point. I was unsure about a bike that was not made by Honda or Yamaha. But after riding it for almost 10 hours in the dunes this weekend there is no way I would trade this bike for a truckload of yfz450's. By the way I had to help about 3 450r's and 2 yfz450's get unstuck this weekend. Do yourself a favor and buy the Pred. LE.

1BadRubicon
07-28-2005, 05:23 AM
Went to buy a Predator LE today and had a horrible experience, the salesman was obnoxious, the store was dirty and small, just didn't feel comfortable at all. So I said the hell with it and went to the dealer where I purchased my 400, and my streetbike. I was treated respectfully, and with enough professionalism to make you think I was buying a Ferrari. I left with my new YFZ at a fair price, and feeling very confident about my purchase. I'll tell you what, the Pred was nice cuz it had a little bigger chassis and some nice goodies standard, but the YFZ will tear it a new one for sure, I can't believe how fast this thing is. Thanks again for the help, both bikes are a good decision.

Flynbryan19
07-28-2005, 05:53 AM
That sucks that you had such a bad experience at the polaris dealer. :( I'm sure you'll be happy with your new Yfz too though. ;) Good luck and happy trails.

05predle
07-28-2005, 06:14 AM
I dont blame you one bit on not buying the pred after that. After all you may have to deal with them again if something breaks. I had a very simular experiance when I was looking at the yfz 450 from one dealer. Congrats on your purchase. Im sure you will love it.

plkmonster2
07-28-2005, 07:45 PM
It's odd around here, Suzuki, Yamaha, Polaris, and Harely's are all sold by the same store. The Honda's, KTM's, and kawi's all have seperate stores.