PDA

View Full Version : YFZ or Predator ?

1BadRubicon
07-23-2005, 10:00 AM
Hey guy's

I'm getting a new quad this week and I can't decide. I have been riding a lightly modified 400EX for the last four years and want to take the next step in technology. I was originally going to stick with Honda but the headlight styling, and kickstart turned me off. I ride mainly cross country stuff, but I do occaisonally tackle a MX track. I like the power, styling, and suspension of both the YFZ, and the Predator. What are the ups, and downs of each? Reccomendations, technical knowledge, and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Toadz400
07-24-2005, 11:41 AM
I think in the end it really depends on whether or not you want reverse, if you do, go with the '05 Predator. My girlfriend rides a piped '03 Pred and it's a nice ride, definately comforable on the trails (rides like a Caddy). You'll want a YFZ if you're more of an aggressive rider and can handle the extra hit of the YFZ power.

stevo450
08-12-2005, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
I think in the end it really depends on whether or not you want reverse, if you do, go with the '05 Predator. My girlfriend rides a piped '03 Pred and it's a nice ride, definately comforable on the trails (rides like a Caddy). You'll want a YFZ if you're more of an aggressive rider and can handle the extra hit of the YFZ power.
get the yfz

iceracer17
08-13-2005, 06:23 AM
Just got rid of a 05' TLD for a 06 YFZ.I'll let you know sunday how much better it is.:D

Toadz400
08-13-2005, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by iceracer17
Just got rid of a 05' TLD for a 06 YFZ.I'll let you know sunday how much better it is.:D

What was your reason for switching over? Have you ridden an older YFZ because I'd like to know if you can notice a difference between the engines.

Also, where in Wisconsin do you live?

iceracer17
08-13-2005, 10:27 AM
First ride will be later today,And no never owned a yfz.(i've had everything else).Thought i would give it a try and couldn't pass up the price.
I live near appleton

450ss
08-13-2005, 12:18 PM
ill tell you what if you can hold off for another month you might not want either the yfz or the pred because honda is releasing there 06 and suzuki is as well so just shop around and get whats comfortable there are some really good things about different types of quads but by far the honda450r has the most upside of them all

iceracer17
08-14-2005, 06:29 PM
Depending on how you ride.
The yfz for me is 100 times better than the 05'TLD.Predator power is smooth were the yfz pulls good on the bottom and really rips from mid to top, keep in mind comparing bone stockers.On the yfz it seems alot easier to move around on and suspension is by far better than the fox podiums on the tld.Steering is lighter.One draw back is the very soft tires on the yfz,they will not last long,5hrs of riding and they show a good amount of wear,riding on everything from gravel,sand,dirt.
You can get a predator for $1000-1500 less.If you can deal with the weight and suspension it may be something for you.
For the money right now the yfz is one of the best.

JRP
08-14-2005, 06:47 PM
id deffinatley go with the yfz. even though i think u should go with the 450r. but if ur not interested in the honda then go with the yfz.

Toadz400
08-14-2005, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by iceracer17
Depending on how you ride.
The yfz for me is 100 times better than the 05'TLD.Predator power is smooth were the yfz pulls good on the bottom and really rips from mid to top, keep in mind comparing bone stockers.On the yfz it seems alot easier to move around on and suspension is by far better than the fox podiums on the tld.Steering is lighter.One draw back is the very soft tires on the yfz,they will not last long,5hrs of riding and they show a good amount of wear,riding on everything from gravel,sand,dirt.
You can get a predator for $1000-1500 less.If you can deal with the weight and suspension it may be something for you.
For the money right now the yfz is one of the best.

I agree with you almost 100% except for the tires. I have had my YFZ since the beginning of June riding every week and my tires still have plenty of tread left. The only thing that wore off were the nipples. Mind you I ride on everything from loose sand to pavement.

I think right now the YFZ is the best buy for the money, unless you absolutely need reverse then it's a fight between the 400's and the Predator.

Predator96
08-15-2005, 05:53 AM
I am about to buy a yfz today. I currently have had a predator and have had for the last 3 years. If you take on any heavy woods/trail action i would say the predator is the way to go. I have rode yfz's and personally the power band is just to snappy compared to a predator with a pipe on it. Again you have to pipe a predator to get any torque out of it. So if you hit the trails about 80% of the time I would lean towards the predator. My 2 cents.

iceracer17
08-15-2005, 06:06 PM
We had 2 06's on our trail ride sunday both bought the same week.Rear tire lugs were already rounded over one worse than the other.I've never seen front tires with nobs this soft.But they seem to hold up better than the rears but they're not spinning for traction either.:D

Jersey450R
08-15-2005, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by 1BadRubicon
Hey guy's

I'm getting a new quad this week and I can't decide. I have been riding a lightly modified 400EX for the last four years and want to take the next step in technology. I was originally going to stick with Honda but the headlight styling, and kickstart turned me off. I ride mainly cross country stuff, but I do occaisonally tackle a MX track. I like the power, styling, and suspension of both the YFZ, and the Predator. What are the ups, and downs of each? Reccomendations, technical knowledge, and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
This is the most obvious answer man cmon. The Predator of course. :p

1BadRubicon
08-18-2005, 03:21 PM
Bought the YFZ, very happy. Could use a slightly lower first gear, and a bit more comfortable seat and bars, but still anded up a better all around buy for my riding.

Toadz400
08-18-2005, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by 1BadRubicon
Bought the YFZ, very happy. Could use a slightly lower first gear, and a bit more comfortable seat and bars, but still anded up a better all around buy for my riding.

Lower first gear? I feel first gear is perfect or if anything too low. If you ever ride a 450R you'll change your mind about the YFZ's first gear. A nice thing about the Predator is the gears seem to be perfectly laid out.

1BadRubicon
08-19-2005, 08:14 AM
I was used to my 400EX that had a low enough first gear that you could crawl without stalling. What pipe does everyone recomend for gaining some bottom end torque?