View Full Version : Sidewall Repair

RR900_Pilot
06-01-2002, 09:06 PM
Is it possible to repair a sidewall on a quad tire?

I have a set of Pure Sport Bandits on my 416. I ride in some very rocky areas and have had the unfortunate luck on several occasions where I have cut the sidewall on my tire.

Typically, I have always just bought a new tire. That method SUCKS for as many trips as I have had this happen on.

Is there any way to repair the sidewall on a tire? I have heard that some people can vulcanize the rubber, but every tire shop I have asked said that they will not do it on a sidewall.

What about no leak or a similar product, or tubes? My latest cut is about an inch long.

Thanks for advice.

Zero Z400
06-01-2002, 10:25 PM
Depending on how wide it is you can probaly use fix-a-flat. Just read the directions and spray it. If it starts leaking just cover it with ur finger until ur done spraying and wait till it dries. I would suggest putting slime or something when u get new tires.

Later

06-01-2002, 11:25 PM
unless you like having to not be able to ride cause your tire went flat out on the trail...... tube it or trash it.:D

Braff1
06-02-2002, 05:49 AM
I agree with 440extreme and tube it. I have also put up to 6 plugs in a side wall puncture and it sealed until I got rid of the tire a 1 and half later.

Razorback
06-02-2002, 07:26 PM
i have a gash in my original stock fronts on the sidewall that's about 1 1/2 or 2 inches long. put it this way, i had 10 plugs in it after i cut it just to keep it up. i wanted to try to see what i could do with it, so i got a heavy duty truck patch from auto zone, put it on, and the tire's been fine ever since. i don't ride on it all the time, but did for months and months after it happened. the heavy duty truck patch is only about $3 or $4, so it's worth a shot.

mcmike
06-02-2002, 08:38 PM
If you are going to tube it, go ahead and put a patch on the inside of the tire. This will keep the crap out and your tube will last longer.:D

-=Skot=-
06-02-2002, 08:42 PM
tube

06-02-2002, 09:56 PM
I would think that if you have a big gash in your side wall (larege enough for 10+ plugs) you had better be using a patch as well as the tube, but hey its your but not mine riding that thing.

I had tried to keep up with the plugs on a few larger gashes on the ohtsu rears but got tired of having to keep pumping air in them and jamming in new plugs .

Razorback
06-03-2002, 05:49 AM
yeah, putting a tube and a patch sounds like the better solution. i was crunched for time when i patched mine, so i wasn't able to find a tube. i use that first set as a spare now, so it's not too much of a concern.

Tommy 17
06-03-2002, 07:46 AM
i got holes in my stock tires every other ride on the side wallz... my front tires have 3 patches, and my rear had 2 patches on the sidewallz... they all are still holdin fine with no problems at all... so yes u can vulcanize patch ur side wallz... its 7$ to do it here and they have it done in 3 or 4 hours...

don't use fix a flat ur quad will shake at high speeds bc of centrifical(sp?) force pushing the fix a flat out in the tire and it sticks to one part of the tire and throws the balance of the tire out of wack...

Tommy 17
06-03-2002, 07:50 AM
here look in this pic in the red circle... u can see the dent on my rim from the rock hittin it and u can barly see the hot patch... the silice was 2 inches long easy...

400exredrider
06-03-2002, 08:25 AM
well ive done this to one of my stockers when i had it on go down to a NAPA cause i think thats the only place they sellin its called Automotive Goop......let the tire be flat jack up the 4-wheeler on a lift with the tire still flat pit the automotive goop all around the gash lots in and around it let it dry over night..in the morning it should be hard and the glue is strong so should not pop out..im not shure if it will work or not but it did for me..........GOOD LUCK:blah

jhr400EX
06-03-2002, 09:09 AM
recently i had a hole in my left rear tire about 3 inches long. i have found that if u roll up a piece of duct tape into the shape of the hole, and put it in the hole with some rubber cement, it will seal up better than most real tire plugs.

06-03-2002, 09:18 AM
Take it to your local atuomobile tire shop and see if they can patch it. I have done this before and the never had a problem with it.