PDA

View Full Version : ST. Anthony Dunes

09-18-2001, 08:00 AM
Hey everyone! I just got back from St. Anthony, Idaho and I want to tell you those dunes rock!! If anyone wants to take an awesome trip I would reccomend this place. We drove a thousand miles one way and we're gonna do it again next year. Just for everyones info, I took my bone stock 400EX geared down one tooth in front with straight paddles. If you run a stock motor I would reccomend gearing down one more tooth in front. That sand really robs power. I could not hang with my Banshee,Raptor, and Quadracer 250 riding buddies when the hills got tall. If anyone else has been to St. Anthony on their EX and can tell about some of their motor mods and how they worked I'd really appreciate it.

rhandw69
09-19-2001, 11:12 PM
So how was climbing Devils DUne and CHoke Cherry??? Those are pretty nasty climbs huh>
I think if that place was closer to me Id ride there every weekend.
Let me know how your bike handled those hills.

WyoDuner
09-23-2001, 08:44 AM
St. Anthony is my favorite place. Difinately the toughest hillclimbs I have ever seen.

Did you make it up the tall dunes like Chokecherry and Devil's Dune?

Check my site for lots of pics of the place. (Here's one of my favorites)

Bird457
09-23-2001, 10:52 PM
I had a buddy of mine go there with his stock 400, no paddles. His brother and friends were riding mostly 250R's. Of course he could not keep up with them and landed in the hospital with a lump in his back. He said the place is pretty cool though.

Nausty
09-23-2001, 11:06 PM
going down a tooth on your front sprocket? That would make it worse you would gain more speed but less torque. No wounder it just "robs the power" lol

Atomic83
09-23-2001, 11:30 PM
no, going down a tooth on the front would give you more torque, less speed..

09-25-2001, 04:32 PM
I could only make it about two thirds the way up devils dune and about half way up chokecherry. I'm going in April though and I will gurantee I make it up both of them. My little EX is going to get a serious motor massage!

FlyinRed
09-28-2001, 11:54 PM
Drop a tooth? Get more power. Banshees rock the sand due to wheel speed. I went to a 14 and saw 2 changes. Wheelies into low 3rd and top speed dropped. I don't think its worth it.

rhandw69
09-29-2001, 08:55 PM
Flyinred is rite, I put on a 14t sprocket for the sand and really all it helped me on was low end torque. But i dont think it helped me out in such a dramatic way that my 15t couldnt have done. Im putting the 15 t back on and leaving it on.
Besides for the sand I honestly dont think there is anything better than a Banshee.
Flyinred lets go trade our in next weekend. LOL
Rhan

09-30-2001, 04:13 PM
This place sounds awesome. I really wanna go to some dunes. Do you guys think St. Anthonys would be better than glamis orany other sand dune place.
Nick-What happend after you could make it up the hill anymore. Did you just jump of and let it roll down?

rhandw69
09-30-2001, 11:34 PM
Ive never been to glamis, but ive been to all the dunes in Oregon, Colorado, and St Anthonys.
For me I like dunes that have long, steep hill-climbs. I look for places that have some great tree-shots if you know what i mean by that.
St Anthonys certainly is one of the best places for sheer hillclimbing since it boasts one of the countrys largest sand bowls.
Any place where there is sand, and it offers a variety of terrain is always good.
Oregon you really have a nice selection of places to ride.
Rhan

10-02-2001, 08:21 PM
I have never been to any other dunes but ST. Anthony. I've heard that they are rated the 2nd best dunes to ride in the U.S. but I haven't heard whats number one. The thing to do when you aren't going to make a hill is turn around before you completely lose all your speed. If you don't get turned around while your still on the machine, you usually sink in the sand deep enough that you can get off and turn around manually. It's a little scary though! I'm sure you'll have a great time if you go!

Bird457
10-02-2001, 10:10 PM
try going to sandbros.com they are serious dune riders. They've been to both.

00Banshee
10-06-2001, 09:39 AM
That is one awesome looking hill WyoDuner. There isn't nothing quite that huge at the Little Sahara in Waynoka, OK. I would love to try to run up that hill.

WyoDuner
10-07-2001, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by 00Banshee
That is one awesome looking hill WyoDuner. There isn't nothing quite that huge at the Little Sahara in Waynoka, OK. I would love to try to run up that hill.

Thanks 00Banshee, check my site for a lot more duning pictures. St. Anthony is definately Banshee territiry. Nothing against others but this is the stuff banshees were built to run in.