PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Basket Question

FoxRacing81
07-22-2005, 09:44 AM
My 400ex's motor is all done up. (426 11:1 piston, new h-d crank and rod, h-d headstuds, port/polish, cam, etc)

My clutch has never been replaced yet though. I know that'll be the next thing to go out on mine.

If I get say an EBC Clutch kit, will that be good enough for my clutch, or could my clutch basket still go out? How do you know if your clutch basket is bad? How much is one and are they hard to replace? And are they nessacary to replace?

Thanks,
-Justin

Crazy400EX
07-22-2005, 10:22 AM
Ya i have the same EXACT question! Help....the only differnce is that i have a barnett dirt digger clutch kit on the way and i need to know if i need a clutch basket to go with it.

Rico
07-22-2005, 10:39 AM
With a built 400ex motor I wouldn't run anything but a aftermarket basket and an 8 plate setup from GT thunder or sparks racing.

If you don't go with above then run stock plates, nothing compares to OEM plates.

I run a Hinson basket and Sparks 8 plate kit and can't say enough good things about it. It really puts the power to the ground compared to the chinzy stock setup....:cool:

Crazy400EX
07-22-2005, 10:42 AM
So i should go ahead and get a new basket and use my barnett kit?

QuadJunkies
07-23-2005, 08:50 PM
I often wondered about that with ours, I too had a 426ex a year ago, I ran mine with Barnett spirings, but stock plates. It worked like a champ, I then went to a 440ex 12.5 comp. post.polish ect...and went with a full Barnett clutch kit and have big regretsand was very dissapointed . I will be going back to stock plates once again, but will stick with the springs. The stock plates still looked to be right in the middle of the specs.

FoxRacing81
07-23-2005, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
I often wondered about that with ours, I too had a 426ex a year ago, I ran mine with Barnett spirings, but stock plates. It worked like a champ, I then went to a 440ex 12.5 comp. post.polish ect...and went with a full Barnett clutch kit and have big regretsand was very dissapointed . I will be going back to stock plates once again, but will stick with the springs. The stock plates still looked to be right in the middle of the specs.

You have stock clutch basket?

QuadJunkies
07-23-2005, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by MX610EX
You have stock clutch basket? yes, and have inspected it and it looks GREAT! I thought it might be needing replced cause of how it felt clutching,so I went out and got a full clutch kit, but was told by a few that I dont need a clutch basket , including my engine builder,.Really but after looking at it all , its in terriffic shape.

44oEX
07-24-2005, 08:11 AM
I have a 500ex with FST super duty springs and a completely stock clutch and never had any problems

Speedy81304
07-24-2005, 10:12 PM
just look for noching on the basket where your fibers sit. if these deep noching replace it... im going to use a hinson 8 plate kit. witch has a basket, inner hub, pressure plate fibers, steels,and springs. should last a very long time.

TC426EX
07-25-2005, 09:32 AM
As mentioned above, you can tell your basket is shot if there is any more than superficial grooves in the "fingers". GT Thunder reccommends replacing the stock clutch basket with a new one once a season or so if you choose to not go with an aftermarket one. I agree on a built motor.

Its a good chunk of money, but if you can afford the Hinson basket and 8-plate conversion, youll never go back to a stock clutch again... Ive had the same clutch for going on 2 seasons now (+ I beat on it pretty hard) and its still in good shape.

QuadJunkies
07-25-2005, 09:48 AM
heres a pic of our Predators clutch basket when it got damaaged, it was not due to upgrading a clutch but gives an idea what a damaged one looks like ( oil pump gear was wedged in basket)
Ive had my stock basket for a total of 2- years now ... no problems.... :)