PDA

View Full Version : getting started and what quad

tyler3400
07-22-2005, 08:50 AM
i am 15 and dont trun 16 until next may and i am pretty sure that you have to be 16 to race quads correct? well i want to get into it because a guy up the road form me has built 2 motocross tracks in almost my back yard that i cna ride when ever i feel like. there are some pretty big jumps on it liek the biggest is a jump wiht a down hill landing thats about 80 ft. i am trying to decide on a quad i know i cant afford a 450 or anyhting brand new so i was tihnking about a z400 possibly. origionally i was ogign to go wiht a blaster but i dont think it will have enough power. is there a site where i could type in where i live and they show the tracks and races around here? any help is appreciated.
thanks

fasterthanyouex
07-22-2005, 09:55 AM
A z400 would be a great choice and it the same as the KFX 400 kawi...andother would be a 400ex...

450r51
07-22-2005, 10:03 AM
both 400's r good, but the z's r faster, but the hondas r bullet proof.

MXridin841
07-22-2005, 10:46 AM
the z is def. a way better buy then the 400ex. plus the aftermarket for the z is way better so if you didnt have the money at the time you could wait. with the 400ex you will def need alot of aftermarket for doing good sized jumps.

smr
07-22-2005, 11:36 AM
Either 400 is a good quad. I would pick the 400ex over the Z anyday. the 400ex has a lower center of gravity and the parts are cheap and plentifal. The Z is a great machine but the 400ex is better for MX.

tyler3400
07-22-2005, 11:49 AM
yeh i was also considering the 400 exs alot becasue of how cheap they are now days. the z would be a strech on my money funds. the track is set up for mostly dirt bikes so i need somehtign wiht good acceleration and suspension. i have seen liek 1999-2000 400exs for liek 2500.00 some wiht some work done to them. i am a little skeptical as to if they will still hold up. i also do some trail riding but nothing to serious.any one know of any atv races in ny?i am not far from unadilla where they are having the pro race sthis year but i am not sure if they have a ameature series or anythign

450r51
07-22-2005, 12:16 PM
oh and u dont need to be 16 to race, my bro was 14 when he started, and he raced a 400ex

DJJ450r
07-22-2005, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by 450r51
oh and u dont need to be 16 to race, my bro was 14 when he started, and he raced a 400ex

im 14 and race a 450r

fasterthanyouex
07-22-2005, 05:25 PM
are u looking for a liquid cooled machine or an air cooled.. speed or handling...i still say 400 ex if rode right because of it handling advantage can keep up with a Z....But Z are Faster. Either way you look at it 400ex or a Z your getting a great machine. Honda makes a more reliable machine stock and what type of mods are you looking for.. Boring it out and such i would say a Z.... because its a lilqud to keep it cooler(im not sure bout that so please corect me if i am wrong ) :confused: But it all depends on what your looking for.....i know your racing Mx but when u trail ride is reverse a big factor for you... for myself i dont use reverse all that much so its not a factor ......Reverse is nice tho...:)

tyler3400
07-22-2005, 07:15 PM
if i go wiht the 400es then i would most likely end up boring it out most likely a 416 or i tihnk the other i was looking at is a 426. and a ipe and air filter would pry be the extent of engine mods buti would def. ahve to get sdome suspension and a-arms and pry a swing arm and axle. i dont know to much about the z but for the smaller amount of trail riding i do i dont think reverse is neccesary, yeh its nicwe but a 400ex isnt all that heavy.if i could find a 400 ex wiht some mods done for a really good price i would def go for that because i have a hard time getting money at my age because no one will higher some one under 16. the only other thing i was thinking about was to look for a rolling chassis of some kind even if its not in to good of conditin and working on it over winter and my parents agreed that if i was to do this that in the spring for my birthday they woudl go halfs on a motor. but i dont know if i want to get that involoved into it as this winter i am also going ot be rebuilding a 86 ford f-150. do you thinkg the rolling chasis would be a cheaper way to go?

fasterthanyouex
07-22-2005, 07:22 PM
well i havent hurt much problem from a 416 or a 426 overheating alot.. but yeah i would look for a 400ex with a goodie or two and if not look for a z400.....my opionion you should get a 400ex since im honda myself but definalty plan it out and see what machine is more compatilable with you and what u plan to do with it....search bout 400ex borin issues in the search

450r51
07-22-2005, 07:27 PM
hey man if u wanna wait, my bros gonna have his 04 400ex for sale, at the end of this season, its got elka,lsr,douglas,renthal,itp,dg. hes sellin it for 5500 but will be willing to go lower.

fasterthanyouex
07-22-2005, 07:46 PM
is your brother will to part out front elkas? PM if he is and what Price?

450r51
07-22-2005, 08:05 PM
no hes not, hes actuallly gonna give it to hamburg honda one of our sponsors, and they r gonna give him a brand new 450r, so if ne one is interested the quad will be for sale there for around 5000.

MXridin841
07-24-2005, 01:51 PM
just because you say that the z doesnt handle as good as the 400ex...are you talkin mooded or stock. stock doesnt mean anything because you pretty much have to have aftermarket suspension to be competitive. then if you put like the athena kit in alond with some cams CDI FCR and and a new filter you will kill.

aman
07-30-2005, 08:35 PM
From what I can tell the z/kfx is a ton better that a ex ever will be. I've hopped off my yfz to take my friends bone stock kfx for a ride at my mx track, and a local track, and to say the least the new models are very impressive. Of course it would be alot better with suspension upgrades, but if your in a tight spot in terms of money after purchasing one, it would be a quick fix to just get a pipe and some smaller rear tires, as it would run tons better without the restrictive stock exhaust. I also know for a fact it could outrun a ex ANYDAY on a race track, given that the riders on each machine are at the same skill level. Even if ex parts are somehow cheaper, you cant match the stock quality of this machine to the others in its class, plus the price on em really isnt too bad for what you get. After all, exs are everywhere, why not try something else for a change ;)