PDA

View Full Version : IRS on predator now

MAD450r
07-22-2005, 08:21 AM
Polaris released there new atv this morning and yup indeed it has irs. Do you guys think that will work ok on a sport atv. Im just curious since every 4x4 that I rode with it I hated the body roll.

OOPs forgot to add the link

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/ATV/2006Models/HighPerformance/Outlaw/

MAD450r
07-22-2005, 08:40 AM
If you can read I only own honda, so why sould I do that, grow up would ya. I was just asking a simple question of other's that rode atv's with irs.

lonestar13r
07-22-2005, 09:06 AM
I don't think its going to go over to hot,,, for being a sport quad with irs... i can see it being alittle more popular in the hairscramble/ woods racing,, but not MX. Its going to be weird now ... "Rear + 3 a-arms Polaris outlaw" lol.. I'm not to much for it really :ermm:
-Ethan

Flynbryan19
07-22-2005, 09:26 AM
It definately will not be a mx quad. I put it more in the catagory of the V-force.

And its actually a new quad called the "outlaw". Its not a predator. ;)

MAD450r
07-22-2005, 09:28 AM
Still using the pred's geometry up front, and the pred's engine :)

Scro
07-22-2005, 10:03 AM
439 pounds...:eek:

Moto92
07-22-2005, 10:27 AM
Imagine the cost of trying to make that thing an mx quad. Buying an extra pair of extened a-arms for the rear and an extra pair of shocks with rezzies. I cant even afford the front end alone

HUNTSALOT
07-22-2005, 11:51 AM
I wonder how it would work for a drag bike?

Extreem
07-22-2005, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by fearthisracer
Imagine the cost of trying to make that thing an mx quad. Buying an extra pair of extened a-arms for the rear and an extra pair of shocks with rezzies. I cant even afford the front end alone

DONT forget the extended driveshafts.....:rolleyes:

kbass24emtp
07-22-2005, 03:37 PM
Well my hat is off to Polaris with comming up with this idea. It's great to see a company thinking out of the box, and it's only going to get better. To me this might not be best for MX, but who knows untill we all get a ride report, I could be wrong. But i'm sure Matt Smiley will open some eyes with this one. Great job Polaris!!! and thank you.

sampleez
07-22-2005, 06:57 PM
wonder why it only has rezzy shocks in the back?? and who would have thought it......yet again......a polaris sport quad that's ugly as sin :D

Smoker
07-22-2005, 11:56 PM
I agree, kudos to Polaris for having the kahona's to build it. It's not a new idea exactly and aside from the weight, if it was built right, I think it would kick butt at mx. If you've read about the Quadracer HSD converted they said it cornered like a solid axle, a little better even and the condition of jumps weren't as critical. As far as cost for an aftermarket back end, I don't think it will be very far off considering, a long travel set up for the back costs almost as much as a long travel for the rear. Not saying the Outlaw will be perfect, but it is definitely a step forward for quads in my opinion.

Read the article.

HSD IRS Quad (http://www.atving.com/departments/sportzone/irs.cfm)

JEL
07-23-2005, 11:29 AM
wow that thing is gay figures polaris makes it

Robin Hood
07-23-2005, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by JEL
wow that thing is gay figures polaris makes it

Jeez, stop the hatin.

I figure its a pure XC/ Trail bike, Seeing as Smiley rides a pred and hes doing pretty well on it, I bet polaris figured they'd stick with XC considering I dont see any preds on the MX track. I want to see how it fairs in some intense trail conditions.

07-23-2005, 12:19 PM
I heard Matt Smiley will be riding one at the Aug 21st GNCC.

jb500ex
07-23-2005, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by TRX450R_Racer
I heard Matt Smiley will be riding one at the Aug 21st GNCC.
where ever you get your info from is a bad source, considering their is no gncc in august

sgerbyshak
07-23-2005, 06:46 PM
Its nice to see the manufactures comming up with new ideas. I think that we are in the golden age of atv's right now...Atv's are better now than ever. EFI, Aluminum frames and now IRS...I'm not sure I would buy one though...What do you guys think about IRS on a sport quad?

07-23-2005, 09:15 PM
i think its unique and never been done before, polaris wants to stand out from the others, and i think they are doing a damn good job :macho

Punk'd
07-24-2005, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
i think its unique and never been done before, polaris wants to stand out from the others, and i think they are doing a damn good job :macho

I agree, but I think they should have made the fronts with rezzys.. I believe Polaris has just begun.. Now teamed up with KTM I think we are going to have alot more surprizes boys;)

wvspeedfreak
07-24-2005, 06:48 AM
Props to Polaris.It is cool to see the atv manufacturers getting creative these days.

cheetah
07-24-2005, 11:04 AM
I think it looks awesome and it has a lot of potential. I don't think they will nail it on the first go, but I think in another 5 yrs this will be the norm.

chris450R
07-24-2005, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Robin Hood
considering I dont see any preds on the MX track.

well here is ya one, my step bro's.:D

Robin Hood
07-24-2005, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by chris450R

I meant dont see many, But thats a hell of a nice pred.

07-24-2005, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by chris450R

dude, ive seen him on tv :eek2:

450robot
07-25-2005, 12:02 AM
i think its a good idea and a bad idea at the same time, im guessing they are trying to appeal to the xc market with this, so it should be popular on the trails, or atleast smooth on the trails, but i hope it has some type of diff lock or something because if one of those wheels gets stuck, the other is just gonna spin wildly, and that wont get you anywhere, thats unless it doesnt have a diff system

only time will tell if it will succeed or fail

we shall see at the member ride at rausch creek i guess

Dale512
07-25-2005, 06:41 PM
What would make you think it has a differential?

450 Racer R
07-26-2005, 01:28 PM
it'd be nice if it did. Can you say street legal? I wouldn't mind getting that outlaw tagged and riding it to work. :macho

Toadz400
07-26-2005, 02:00 PM
Polaris made the Outlaw strictly for woods riding/racing. That's all they really care about and it's obvious because they still don't have a 450, and it'll probably be awhile until they do. The Predator with IRS (Don't say the Outlaw isn't just a Predator with IRS because it is) is going to be perfect for GNCC which is what they are focusing on.

I think it was a great idea for the Predator and I can't wait until someday when I can ride one of these.

Man...Polaris actually doing something right, I don't know if I can handle this!:eek2:

07-27-2005, 10:29 AM
this is hard to believe
polaris has always been gay.......no super gay

i guess time will tell if this new quad is gay
is Big Gay Al the spokesman for this quad?
lol

xrxmxcx
07-27-2005, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by force
this is hard to believe
polaris has always been gay.......no super gay

i guess time will tell if this new quad is gay
is Big Gay Al the spokesman for this quad?
lol

flame on:rolleyes:

you cant tell me that they arent taking a step in the right direction bieng innovative, it might not be perfect right now, but give it some time

honky tonk:macho

plkmonster2
07-27-2005, 01:40 PM
Hey guys, don't diss polaris. This IS the future. If you've been on the tight trails, you know how nice IRS is. Now that is has evolved onto a sport quad, it is even better. No more getting stuck on ruts! My uncle and I have been talking about IRS for about 2 years now. We rode some utes with it. They were very nice, and felt sooo smooth. They also rarely got stuck even in 2wd. A sport is even better. I think I'm going to get one. It will be lighter than the ute, but just as good!

hondaryder42
07-27-2005, 04:25 PM
well i ride a predator (won't own one) but if you look at how fast the tie rods,ball joints,and a arm pivots wear out this thing could be a maintenance nightmare. especially with the extra wieght. i think a arms are not the answer at the rear for the abuse and torque. what about dual trailing arms... kinda like two swingarms off a bike with no axle at all between them for extra clearance. your brake and drive sprockets could be at the front of the swinger !!! put a sway bar and it would be cool. just me dreaming at work

07-28-2005, 09:58 AM
no more getting stuck in ruts? that's bull. if this is the future, then that only means the ruts will get deeper!!!

i have to agree. it's innovative......and maybe they will push some of the other manufacturers to take a look at it. and i also have to agree that the ride quality would be much improved. i ride mostly trails. So, i think i could really go fast with IRS. But, i don't think i want Polaris being the name on the quad I own. That's my opinion.

Out_Sider
07-28-2005, 10:11 AM
no more getting stuck in ruts? that's bull. if this is the future, then that only means the ruts will get deeper!!!

i have to agree. it's innovative......and maybe they will push some of the other manufacturers to take a look at it. and i also have to agree that the ride quality would be much improved. i ride mostly trails. So, i think i could really go fast with IRS. But, i don't think i want Polaris being the name on the quad I own. That's my opinion.

wow, not owning a quad just because of the name, even if it does turn out to be the best woods quad ever.. how ignorant

Toadz400
07-28-2005, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Out_Sider
wow, not owning a quad just because of the name, even if it does turn out to be the best woods quad ever.. how ignorant

Yea that is pretty bad. I'd even own this quad if I strictly rode trails or even raced GNCC, and I think I hate Polaris the most out of anyone here.

07-29-2005, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Toadz400
Yea that is pretty bad. I'd even own this quad if I strictly rode trails or even raced GNCC, and I think I hate Polaris the most out of anyone here.

obviously, you guys have not been around many a polaris.
they're total junk, dude.

MAD450r
07-29-2005, 10:17 AM
Just you have to do routine checks to keep things greased and tightened, if you dont the polaris will have some minor issues. Most hondas you can neglect, but not the 450r. This is the same way to me, if I dont routinely check parts on my R it likes to byte me.

Now that I been anal about ti its been fine.

Toadz400
07-29-2005, 10:37 AM

Yea, I have been around Polaris a lot. There is a Polaris plant in the town where I go to school at and everyone who works there wouldn't even own one if they didn't get the great discount because of how they are put together. My girlfriend rides a Predator and friends of mine own Polaris utilities, I've been around them all my life. The Predator is an exception to Polaris being low on quality because they didn't even build the engine on the Predator, otherwise I'm sure they would've screwed it up by putting plastic parts all over it and having it belt-driven.

I hate Polaris more than anyone, but the IRS Predator (err I'm sorry..."Outlaw") would be a nice quad to own IF I strictly rode rocky/rutted trails and raced GNCC...but I don't, so therefore I'd never think twice about owning one.

plkmonster2
07-29-2005, 11:26 AM
Their older quads were junk. I think they have totally turned around. I am thinking about getting an outlaw, but the thing is too heavy for what I do. When I trail ride, I don't want to whip around 90 or so extra pounds over an r...

Flynbryan19
07-29-2005, 11:30 AM

Yup your like totally right dude....:rolleyes: