PDA

View Full Version : Timing chain

QuadRacer18
07-22-2005, 06:21 AM
I took my clutch cover and head off to get to the timing chain because my quad wouldnt run with the chain in the condition it was in. The chain is SUPER loose but not broken. Can someone explain to me anything about the cam chain tensioner and if it would help. Would you recommed me buying a new chain... any information about this topic would be appreciated, I was simply more of a two stroke guy! Thanks, Josh.

TC426EX
07-22-2005, 06:37 AM
You should just get a CRF450 timing chain. Works perfect and is much beefier than the stock one. I threw one in on my last rebuild and have had no problems whatsoever. Its a cheap part, only like 25 bucks from www.servicehonda.com

as far as the tensioner, Im pretty sure that tightening/loosening on the tensioner screw is opposite, but might want to check on that. I didnt have to adjust my tensioner much last rebuild after I bolted it back into place. You dont want slack in the chain, and the tensioner should be pretty tight against it.

QuadRacer18
07-22-2005, 11:07 AM
Does it fit in perfectly with no modification?(CRF450 chain)
I heard the extra width is wider than the pads on the chain tensioner. Can someone please explain. Thanks

cals400ex
07-22-2005, 01:38 PM
read the thread in the FAQ forum on this site. it is on the first page in that forum. it fits perfect without any modifications.