PDA

View Full Version : 38mm PWK on a stock jug w/ just a pipe??

YFZRob
07-21-2005, 03:50 PM
Will running a PWK 38 with a stock jug, just an aftermarket pipe be a dumb idea? Will it destroy the low end?

Thanks!

2StrokeFreak
07-21-2005, 04:32 PM
UH-OH, What happened to the 310 kit?

YFZRob
07-21-2005, 08:42 PM
Going back to stock so my wife can ride it. I'm buying a 2006 WR450F in a month or so, and my wife also needs a quad. Having the 250R, YFZ, and a WR450 for myself was a little overboard, so instead of selling the R (which I really don't want to do) and buying a 300EX for her (which is soooo boring), I'm going to help teach her to start it. She can ride well, but she's not ready for the power surge the 310 had. With a stock jug, it'll be a milder hit. Getting her used to starting it will be the only problem. She's really only going to ride about 5 times a year anyways, so this way I can still ride the R occasionally instead of having a 300EX that will just sit.

Can anyone answer my question? I suppose I'll just throw the PJ back on.

kwatts400
07-21-2005, 10:52 PM
I'm running a 39mm with a stock jug and a pipe. Runs great!

YFZRob
07-22-2005, 08:25 AM
kwatts,

What's your jetting specs?? I have a TRX5 pipe that I was toying with leaving on the bike along with either the PJ34 or the PWK38.

Thanks!

Blown 331
07-22-2005, 08:37 AM
What are you going to do with the 310 kit? I need more power on my 3-wheeler!!

YFZRob
07-22-2005, 08:52 AM
Sell it :-).

I plan to only sell it as a complete 310 kit like ESR sells, plus a couple options....

The cylinder has been bored twice and has one more bore left on it. It has a 72.45mm Wiseco piston. It looks brand new and has the ESR TRX-7 porting and the ESR head w/ both domes. 98 octane MINIMUM on the pump gas dome.....this is the reason I have bored it 2 times already.....ESR says 93 octane is fine.....it's not.....trust me. The 72.45 piston set up is perfect and has barely been broken in. It had 197 psi when I last checked. So far, I think I have roughly 5 hours of use on it.

New ESR gets $949 for the piston kit, ported cylinder, and head. I am including the spacer kit $40 (which is for long rod 87-89 motors only I think), and Billet exhaust flange $45. I was going to sell everything for $680. This is a complete set up....no break-in needed, just bolt it up and go.

I am also probably going to be selling the CR intake boot and reed cage $99 new, $60. PWR Radiator, $375 new, $250, Herrmann Racing +2/+1 a-arms, complete with SS brake lines and tie rods $650 new, $450, LSR +1-4 axle, $350 new $275, Keihin PWK 38 A/S carb with ESR jet board and jets $200 new, $150, TRX-5 pipe with silencer $338 new, $250.

2StrokeFreak
07-22-2005, 09:24 AM
Holy chit Rob, you just got that thing right now your parting it out.
Did you start to feel guilty cause your 88 is so nice?
I'm starting to feel that way, and have not ridden it yet this season.

Are you keeping the Elkas, will they work with stock arms?

Sorry to see your interests shift to two wheels, but I understand.
The main reason I havn't been out this year is I bought a Harley-Davidson, full dresser touring bike.

YFZRob
07-22-2005, 09:38 AM
Well, it kinda comes down to my wife not letting me have the YFZ, the R, and the WR for myself :rolleyes: . Plus, after the two lean seizures, I felt like I was riding on egg shells the whole time, even though I have the bugs worked out. It was fun to ride, but not as much as the YFZ since I was always worrying about it instead of enjoying it. Now, I can go have fun on it still, and let my wife ride it instead of just buying a dedicated quad for her that she will barely ride. I wasn't feeling guilty about modifying it because I knew I can do what I'm doing now....throw it back to stock in a day. But, at the same time, I kind of want to respect the bike for what it is stock, and enjoy it the way Honda made it. I think a pipe is at least the bare minimum though :-). Still have to decide on what pipe. I want stock pipe response down low, so maybe a TRX6. The last thing my wife needs is a monster hit....the biggest reason for ditching the 310 set up.....it was way too much for her.

I'm going to hang onto the elkas since they are supposed to work with the stock arms. The stock shocks are horribly soft on the R, so those plus a pipe, silencer, air filter, and reeds will be the ONLY aftermarket parts on it (minus things like tires, clutch, chain, and sprockets). Speaking of that....anyone know how quick this set up would be? Faster than a Z400?

2StrokeFreak
07-22-2005, 09:54 AM
Both of my R's have the same set up.

Un-ported stock jug
FMF fatty pipe and turbine core II silencer
V-Force reeds
36mm Quad-Vent PWK (very nice carb)
K&N w/outerwear

Two of my buddies have Z-400, one of which is piped and geared Ive never seen the back end of either. They cant even get me off the line.

Other guys are running huge carbs on stock cyl. But can they putt around for miles without loading up? 38mm seems big to me unless your WFO all the time.

YFZRob
07-22-2005, 10:06 AM
Awesome news! Well, I plan on putting a low end pipe on it and good reeds with the stock carb. What jetting are you running? If it will perform anything like a Z400, I'd take it out riding just as often as the YFZ. I even enjoyed it when it was bone stock....2 strokes are a blast.

2StrokeFreak
07-22-2005, 10:29 AM
I'd keep the pipe unless your selling everything as a package.

I would let the a/s carb go with the 310 cyl.

PJ stock carb stands for piece of junk! They dont run worth spit.
I'm hooked on that 36mm pwk in all aspects. I mainly trail ride, that carb never bogs, coughs, or pukes plugs. Its as close to EFI you can get.

As for jetting, my jetting in MI. will be different from yours in FL.
Its been so long, all I know I have in it is a 175 main. Clip is in the middle.

Sudco part # is 016-198
I bought mine through Magic Racing here in Mi.
Magic (http://www.magicracing.com/) They usually have them in stock. You wont be disappointed.

YFZRob
07-22-2005, 10:43 AM
Does the 36mm PWK fit in the stock reed intake boot? I'll consider it, but at this point, I'm going to go completely stock first, then work my way back from there.

2StrokeFreak
07-22-2005, 10:55 AM
Yes it does fit the stock boot. Takes a little stretching at first but the stock clamps wont cut it. I use Automotive style radiator hose clamps on mine. They dont look that bad. The stock clamps for a CR may fit if you want the look.

Youre gonna be pulling your hair out with that PJ guananteed.

The pic of the carb on Magic's site is a generic pic. The 36mm pwk
looks exactly like your 38mm A/S with all the vent hoses.

YFZRob
07-22-2005, 11:02 AM
Well, you've sold me. I still want to get rid of this pipe. I didn't like the powerband of it with the 310 kit, so it's not going to cut it with the stock jug. I found the link for the Magic racing carb....good deal. How do you like the powerband of your FMF pipe? How's the bottom end? Does it have a long "off pipe" feel and hard transition?

2StrokeFreak
07-22-2005, 11:03 AM
That PJ carb was the first thing to go on both my TRX's. I used one on my 85 ATC and was sold on them ever since.

Kinda like " If I have to explain You wouldnt understand" You'll "understand" within the first tank full.

I dont really know how much you get from the cage. A buddy just got this carb with a rad valve I have V-Force. They feel the same.
I diddnt like the way a stock cage popped.

YFZRob
07-22-2005, 11:09 AM
Well, I can hang onto my CR250 reed cage and intake boot, which will fit the stock jug, barely. It's a much improved design over the TRX reed cage. I just have to hope I can clamp down the CR250 reed boot onto the 36mm carb....it should fit since we're only talking 2 mm difference over the 38.

Also, does the 36mm fit the airbox boot?? My A/S 38 has the ESR reducer ring on it to fit.

2StrokeFreak
07-22-2005, 11:17 AM
I was thinking of trying that pipe myself. What kept me away was no sparky.

The FmF does have a good bottom with a solid hit and it pulls pretty good.

I'd try the trx7 first. If you were local I'd let you take mine for a rip to see if you liked the setup.

My girlfriend rides my 86 off the pipe all day long and never has plug fouling issues. It doesnt load up, and idles great when she stops.

2StrokeFreak
07-22-2005, 11:31 AM
Have you already torn down the 310?

Cant you put your wife on the thumper and keep the R for yourself with all the go-fast goodies on it? So what if you only use it once or twice a year, you got a bike. She will probibly want electric start anyway. My girl aint no girly girl and she hates kicking that thing. I hate dismounting my quad to start hers.

Food for thought.:devil:

YFZRob
07-22-2005, 11:36 AM
Nah, already torn down. If she cannot start it, or doesn't like it, I'll sell it. The YFZ isn't as easy to ride for someone who's not very experienced and only 5'3". The starting is the onlything easy about the YFZ. It beats you up otherwise. Not the nice soft plush ride of the R.

2StrokeFreak
07-22-2005, 11:50 AM
Let us know what your final setup is. I would use a 3 layer head gskt. to keep the comp. down for pump gas and easier kicking.

Good luck Rob,
Freak

kwatts400
07-24-2005, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by YFZRob
kwatts,

What's your jetting specs?? I have a TRX5 pipe that I was toying with leaving on the bike along with either the PJ34 or the PWK38.

Thanks!

I'm running a 170 main in mine. I put a new carb on because my stock carb was shot. It loaded up and fouled plugs no matter what I did.

I think this one was recomended because of the "just in case you want to upgrade" scenerio. It runs great so far, and I wouldn't trade it for any other.

brokeitin3
07-25-2005, 07:52 PM
if you want a not so hard hit using a stock cylinder, build a spacer plate motor 4.5 mm and the 86 piston setup. and dont get rid of the 38 mm pwk. if you jet it right, it will work 100 times better then the pjunk.

joshridina400ex
08-01-2005, 12:07 AM
what year cr reed cages fit?? are they all the same???

YFZRob
08-01-2005, 06:21 AM
I'm not positive, but I think it's the year span of 86-98 or 86-01. In other words, it'd be safe to buy them for a 1995 or so.

300exQuadracer
08-03-2005, 05:28 PM
what are you running for an airbox with the 38 and 39 mm carbs i am building a 310 right now and was wondering

YFZRob
08-03-2005, 06:07 PM
Stock with a Uni filter. Ran GREAT!