PDA

View Full Version : question on a swing arm bolt (disassembling)

The Quad Kid
07-21-2005, 10:16 AM
I need to know how to get a swing arm bolt out of my 400ex. I am taking it apart to paint the frame but can't seem to get the swing arm bolt out . and I have already tried WD-40 letting it set over night. can someone please help me out here. thanks,Bryce:(

sportraxkid
07-21-2005, 10:19 AM
just tap it with a hammer.

duke416ex
07-21-2005, 10:37 AM
You will probably end up having to get a new bolt, they are only like 20 some bucks from planet honda. Flip the nut over and screw it back on the bolt, then beat the crap out of it and hope it comes out, if it doesn't then you may have to cut the bolt.

The Quad Kid
07-21-2005, 10:45 AM
I actually have tried tapping it with a hammer but nothing happens. It has never been out so I'm guessing it is rusted but I really don't have the money to be beating on it I did that with my 250x and never got it out it was all screwed up. thanks though any more help would be definitely appreciated also thanks,Bryce:cool:

theTman
07-21-2005, 11:08 AM
looks like ur gonna have to cut it out

FoxRacing81
07-21-2005, 11:21 AM
Try all of these below...

Spray PB Blaster and let sit...keep re applying.

Put nut on threads so you don't hit the bolt and ruin the threads, beat on the nut, see if it moves.

Get a buddy to use an impact gun and turn the bolt on one side while you pound on it on the other side...

If all of them fail, get a sawzall, lots of metal blades, and start hacking away. Also go to your honda dealer or go online and buy yourself a new bolt and nut.

-Justin

huffdaddy_400EX
07-21-2005, 12:08 PM
is the bolt lose? What I mean by that is...can you turn it. If yes....then hammer the hell out of it. If it's not turning you'll need to try to get it to turn, it may be seized.

The Quad Kid
07-21-2005, 02:30 PM
hey thanks everybody who responded I finally got it. I put a steel nut on the end and hammered away and it actually didn't even hurt the threads. Awesome! You guys are hilarious on your replys:p :p :cool: :D

I did it!!!!:muscle: :muscle: :muscle:

quad2xtreme
07-22-2005, 08:26 AM
Now that you got it out. Make sure you grease it and keep doing this every 6 months.

/Jon

99_300ex
07-22-2005, 09:27 AM
what is the whole process of greasing it do you have to take them out or what?
thanks Jeremy

quad2xtreme
07-22-2005, 10:10 AM
Yes, you have to take it out; however, it isn't difficult. You jack the quad up so the rear tires are off the quad. I recommend using a 1/4" pinpunch or another swingarm bolt to knock it out. You can grease it and slip it right back in. It isn't like the whole swingarm assembly is going to fall apart, etc. It is easy to line it back up so you can slide the bolt back in.

I actually recommend drilling 6 small holes in the swingarm bolt and tapping each end of the bolt. One end you put in a zerk fitting and the other just a plug. Then, you grease it every few months. I just loosen the nut, grease, spin the bolt a few times, and retorque.

/Jon

99_300ex
07-22-2005, 10:18 AM
so when you slide the bolt out do the holes stay lined up and everything like does it pretty much just sit there then you slide it back in and tighten it down or wut cause i might do this today if its that easy.
thanks Jeremy

The Quad Kid
07-22-2005, 01:38 PM
hey thanks Jon for the good advice I think I will do that. It sure will pay off in the long run.:cool:

quad2xtreme
07-22-2005, 02:20 PM
It is that easy. Once you tap the bolt out, chances are the swingarm won't move at all. If it does, you can easily wiggle it around to line up the holes to get the bolt back in.

Hopefully yours taps out. It really sux when they seize inside the engine case bushings.

/Jon

99_300ex
07-22-2005, 02:36 PM
arent the swingarm bearings the needle type? do i have to worry about them falling out? thanks for all your help quad2xtreme
Jeremy

07-22-2005, 02:44 PM
no they are a caged bearing.

quad2xtreme
07-22-2005, 07:48 PM
Even if your bearings are damaged, they won't fall out. The bearings ride on 2 sleeves and not on the actual bolt. You will not be removing the sleeves - just the bolt.

You won't actually be greasing the bearings by greasing the bolt. The main reason for greasing the bolt is to keep it from seizing. Eventually, you will need to replace the bearings and it is a major, major, major pain in the arse if you can't even get the swingarm bolt out.

/Jon

99_300ex
07-22-2005, 08:28 PM
ok thanks for all your help Jon.

FoxRacing81
07-22-2005, 10:09 PM
I use Anti-Seize on my bolt.

Rider400ex26
08-09-2005, 03:30 PM
i used my friends old swing arm bolt to get mine out its a b*tch but it works go to like a hardware store and get a big *** bolt.;)

Aim. Colfer26

but u will need to get a new swingarm bolt definetly

08-10-2005, 06:01 AM
I had my bolt lubed up good with neversize. about 1 month later when I took it out there where signs of rust.:eek:

nosliw
08-10-2005, 07:45 PM
what i do is take the bolt out, and stick the straw off the can of spray white lithium grease and shoot it all around in there. lube some tub-style grease (white lithium also) on the bolt (not too much, too much and the crap will just scrap off when it's going into the frame, make a big ol mess)

i dont recommend drilling holes in the bolt and tapping zerks. i really wouldnt want to comprimise the integrity of the bolt. im sure some company out there makes a bolt with the holes and everything already in there.

i wish they were like the yamaha ttr-225 dirtbike where there are zerks on both sides of the bike where you just pump grease in and dont have to worry about taking the bolt out

08-12-2005, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by nosliw

i dont recommend drilling holes in the bolt and tapping zerks. i really wouldnt want to comprimise the integrity of the bolt. im sure some company out there makes a bolt with the holes and everything already in there.

i wish they were like the yamaha ttr-225 dirtbike where there are zerks on both sides of the bike where you just pump grease in and dont have to worry about taking the bolt out

you just contradicted yourself verry badly. you say you dont want holes, but want it to be like one with holes. sorry bud but that doesent happen. a cupple small holes ( wouldend have to be more than 1/32 of and inch) will make little diffrence in strength. and plenty of flow for greese to get whare it needs to go.

yamablaster24
08-12-2005, 02:11 PM
IM glad you used a steel bolt to put on the end of swingarm bolt, and not a wooden or plastic one.......

nosliw
08-12-2005, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by mittimj
you just contradicted yourself verry badly. you say you dont want holes, but want it to be like one with holes. sorry bud but that doesent happen. a cupple small holes ( wouldend have to be more than 1/32 of and inch) will make little diffrence in strength. and plenty of flow for greese to get whare it needs to go.

:rolleyes:

the stock 400ex bolt was designed to not have holes in it. these aftermarket ones are designed to HAVE holes in them.

search over at z400 central, i think a guy over there had one snap because he put holes in his stocker.

but as far as i care, but quarterinch holes in yours

08-13-2005, 09:19 AM
My quads at a shop getting swinger bearings n yesterday the dude called n said he snapped it n i had to buy another lol

He said he doesnt have that problem cuz his has grease settings.. its also a houser swingarm is it the swigner or the bolt that has grease settings?

08-13-2005, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by nosliw
:rolleyes:

the stock 400ex bolt was designed to not have holes in it. these aftermarket ones are designed to HAVE holes in them.

they are the same thing but double the money.