View Full Version : Zero Preload Question....again.

K400EX&A250EX
07-20-2005, 09:53 PM
Before anyone flames me for asking this question again...please know that I DID search the Steering and Suspension forum and read MANY different posts on this subject before asking this question again...just to make sure I understand before I invest in something that doesn't improve my quad...or even makes it worse. The quad is a 400EX.

My SPECIFIC question is this: If I were to purchase a rear stock rebuild that has zero preload, or any zero preload rear shock for that matter, would I be able to adjust it so that it would be compatible (level) with the Works Triple Rates I have on the front?? From what I could gather from the many posts that I read, you can adjust the zero preload shocks (essentially giving them preload) to match the fronts. Did I understand that correctly?? I realize that in doing that would reduce the advantage of the zero preload shock...but might be necessary to match the fronts. What I DON'T want is to purchase a zero preload rear shock and have the bike handle poorly because it is unlevel.

Any advice you can give me on this specific question would be appreciated!

huffdaddy_400EX
07-21-2005, 11:54 AM
I believe you are talking "ride height", and yes you can adjust them

TBD
07-21-2005, 08:57 PM
You should also take into consideration that when you adjust your ride hieght up like you want to do you will be increasing spring force. I know a lot of people believe that the preload adjustment is a ride hieght adjuster but anytime you change the length of a spring it changes the spring force. By lowering the adjusters you have now made the spring area smaller meaning it will be stiffer.

AIM
07-22-2005, 01:49 AM
TBD is correct. What the term "ZPL" or "ZPS" means is there isn't any load on the main (stiff) spring all the load is on the other springs. Now, the transfer from spring to spring is determined by the spacers in between the springs. The more spacers, the sooner that spring will bottom out, thus transfering weight to the stiffer spring. If you have three springs on the front, you can set your ride height with the upper spring. The middle spring will be used for the intermedite bumps. I've seen alot of springs full of spacers and they aren't doing much good because they aren't used. You could take them out and just have the upper spring and get pretty much the same ride. On most triple rates or quad rate springs you can't move the Preload nut up because it will allow the springs to rattle around. If you can't get your ride height like you want it. Take spacers out of the top spring. Start with the small ones. It the ride seems stiff in the intermediate stuff, take one out of the middle spring. All those spacers do is change the point to where the weight transfers to the next spring. Hope this helps.

Fred

Over-land 450r
07-23-2005, 07:13 PM
try putting smaller fronts tires on
if you all that worried about ride hight you should get better front shocks.. not tring to be mean or any thing but it might work out better

K400EX&A250EX
07-24-2005, 09:21 PM
Huff/TBD/AIM...thanks for your responses. I've got A LOT to learn about suspensions...and every little bit helps. None of the members of my family are...or even pretend to be...pro racers. We're just trying to get the most out of our bikes with the money that we have...and I appreciate your answering my question without suggesting that I buy a new bike or new front shocks. For better or for worse...what I've got on the fronts right now is what I've got right now. I'm just trying to make sure that if I upgrade the rear (probably will have it rebuilt) that I can make it work with what I've got on the fronts. Thanks again.