PDA

View Full Version : how do i change my oil on my 400ex?

paul01400ex
07-20-2005, 09:10 PM
i have no clue how to and this is the first time so can you people just tell me how to? i dont feel like messing anything up

nosliw
07-20-2005, 09:12 PM
search, mang:bandit:

paul01400ex
07-20-2005, 09:17 PM
yea that did me no good

enduro400rider
07-20-2005, 09:24 PM
ok here is how

list of tools

8mm socket
12mm socket
14mm socket
wrench
funel

1. warm up the quad, not to much just to get the oil warm
2 under your shifter there is a bolt it is eather 12 or 14mm i cant remember, loosen it all the way off.
3 let the oil drain out
4 under your oil tank there is another bolt loosen it all the way off and let that oil drain
5 on your right side case(right side if your siting on the quad)
there is a circle peice with 2 or 3 8mm bolts unbolt them take the circle cover off
6 take out the oil filter and throw it away
7 put a new filter in and bolt the cover back on
8 bolt the oil drain bolts back on
fill the oil tank with one quart of oil run your quad for a minuate or two
9 put another quart of oil in the oil tank and your done

paul01400ex
07-20-2005, 09:27 PM
thanks

enduro400rider
07-20-2005, 09:27 PM
also becarefull when you put the new filter in if you put it in the wrong way you will fry your top end. if this is your first oil change i would recomend you put synthetic in it and from now on use ONLY synthetic oil. you can NOT switch back and forth between regular and synthetic. ONLY use oil designed for motor cycles DO NOT use car oil it will ruin your clutch

stalefish_132
07-20-2005, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by enduro400rider
use ONLY synthetic oil. you can NOT switch back and forth between regular and synthetic. ONLY use oil designed for motor cycles DO NOT use car oil it will ruin your clutch

Car oil isnt the thing that will wreck your clutch its the synthetic oil that will burn up your clutch. It happend to me cuz i used synthetic oil in my old 400ex not knowing:mad: Semi-synthetic will do fine tho in the EX. Car oil and motorcycle oil are the same thing just motorcyle oil they mark the price up.:blah:

enduro400rider
07-20-2005, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by stalefish_132
Car oil isnt the thing that will wreck your clutch its the synthetic oil that will burn up your clutch. It happend to me cuz i used synthetic oil in my old 400ex not knowing:mad: Semi-synthetic will do fine tho in the EX. Car oil and motorcycle oil are the same thing just motorcyle oil they mark the price up.:blah:

NO they are not the same car oils have special additives that protect against friction. when you have a clutch that sits in the oil and needs friction to work right you dont want friction protection additives. just about all car oil has friction protection additives. Motorcycle oils are designed to work with a wet clutch design, which 400exs have. you put car oil in that quad the clutch will burn up fast. Also NO synthetic oils will not burn up your clutch, if you buy MOTORCYCLE synthetic oil. im guessing that you used synthetic oil for a car, that would cause your clutch to burn up. dont get cheap buy good motorcycle oil. synthetic oil will make you run cooler and last longer. if you dont beleive me about the oil look at what the pros are running i would bet almost all of them are running synthetic. do a search also this topic has been debated many times. bottom line is DO NOT USE CAR OIL. motor oil is called MOTOR oil for a reason. its to be used in the motor not the tranny. with motorcycles your oil is used in both the tranny and the motor there for they need to be differant.

tater_kamik
07-20-2005, 11:49 PM
s correct, due to the fact that we all have wet clutches, the friction modifiers in any car oil will get into the clutch pack and cause slippage. bike oil and atv oils are good though for the most part. there is another thread about which oil to use

Blysster
07-21-2005, 06:18 AM
http://www.atvriders.com/articles/oilchange400ex.html

When you remove the drain plug (located on the bottom of the tank) be carefull as the bottom can break off from the tank quite easily. Make sure you don't tighten it too much after.

400exrules
07-21-2005, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by enduro400rider
ok here is how

list of tools

8mm socket
12mm socket
14mm socket
wrench
funel

1. warm up the quad, not to much just to get the oil warm
2 under your shifter there is a bolt it is eather 12 or 14mm i cant remember, loosen it all the way off.
3 let the oil drain out
4 under your oil tank there is another bolt loosen it all the way off and let that oil drain
5 on your right side case(right side if your siting on the quad)
there is a circle peice with 2 or 3 8mm bolts unbolt them take the circle cover off
6 take out the oil filter and throw it away
7 put a new filter in and bolt the cover back on
8 bolt the oil drain bolts back on
fill the oil tank with one quart of oil run your quad for a minuate or two
9 put another quart of oil in the oil tank and your done

why would u run it with only a quart in it? couldnt that damage it? i always just fill it up till its full with like 1.9 quarts, before i run it.

and when draining the oil, if u get on the right side of the 400 and lift it, more oil will drain out

paul01400ex
07-21-2005, 01:07 PM
what should i do if the drain oil bolt off the oil tank doesnt come off....its on really tight and wont come off

indigo
07-21-2005, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
why would u run it with only a quart in it? couldnt that damage it? i always just fill it up till its full with like 1.9 quarts, before i run it.

and when draining the oil, if u get on the right side of the 400 and lift it, more oil will drain out

You are supposed to put 1 quart and run it to get a correct reading when you put the second one in. It won't hurt the motor it will only be running for a short peroid. Not long enough just to let the motor sucks some of the oil in

enduro400rider
07-21-2005, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by paul01400ex
what should i do if the drain oil bolt off the oil tank doesnt come off....its on really tight and wont come off

well if you run you quad for a little bit to get the oil warm that helps to loosen the bolt. you gotta be carefull with that oil tank bolt. honda got cheap a built the oil tanks too thin. you can easily break the drain neck right off with the bolt. its happened to me twice. not a cheap part to replace eather. when you put the bolt back in put some anti-seize on it so it wont happen the next time

paul01400ex
07-21-2005, 04:51 PM
whats the best oil filter to replace the old one with?

07-21-2005, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by paul01400ex
whats the best oil filter to replace the old one with? I used ones off ebay for like 2 years when I had mine...they were called hi-flo oil filters and I still use them on my 450r

FoxRacing81
07-21-2005, 05:06 PM
I bought a set of 5 Emgo filters off ebay pretty cheap.

For mine, I put 1 quart in, then put about 3/4 of the other one in, or until it gets full (I pour it slow), then I put the cap on, fire her up, let it sit until it gets warm, then add the the rest and re-check.

I run Bel Ray Semi-Synthetic 20w50 in mine...she runs good...hot, but good.:devil:

tater_kamik
07-21-2005, 10:30 PM
i just use whatever is available, i cannot say i have ever had a prob with an oem one