PDA

View Full Version : weird electrical issue

zlam27
07-20-2005, 05:46 PM
this isnt a problem with my 400ex but a friend's 400ex...

he was riding and shut it off and after that it wouldnt start. the neutral light wouldnt come on, but they push started it and it ran fine. when its running, the lights kind of flicker.

now for the really weird part... the neutral light WILL come on while its running and the high beams are on. if the light switch is OFF or ON (on low beams), the neutral light is off.

i was making sure it wasnt a starter problem so i tapped the starter button while it was running and it works on the same settings as the neutral switch (light switch "ON" and lights set to high beams" - otherwise nothing.

he just dropped it off for me to fix, if you have any ideas what to look for just let me know. ill probably clean and tighten the battery and solenoid terminals and check the fuses, otherwise im open to suggestions. i appreciate any help.

zach

HondaEXrider22
07-20-2005, 05:51 PM
You pretty much got it there. CHeck all the grounds, clean batterie and case and then check back with us.

07-20-2005, 06:14 PM
yeah thats what i would do just claen everything andtry it again

zlam27
07-20-2005, 09:04 PM
NEW INFO...

well i checked the fuse first and it was blown...

i found out that if the light switch is off everything is fine, BUT when the light switch is flipped on it immediately blows the fuse.

anyone have any specific ideas on what to check? i have a clymer ill probably flip through and try to narrow it down tomorrow. thanks.

zach

jerry-89-250R
07-21-2005, 06:10 AM
check the headlight bulbs, sometimes they short out . quick way is too remove them and then turn on the switch if the fuse doesn't blow you have a bad bulb. if it blows "wiring"