PDA

View Full Version : break-in time

cali450r
07-20-2005, 12:28 PM
I just got my 450r back from repair at my dealer. They put in a new piston and crankshaft and basically rebuilt the whole engine and they told me I had to give it a ten hour break-in period but my owners manual said It only needed around 15 miles and I have five hours on it but more than 15 miles on it. What should I go by?

Ridin' Jesse
07-20-2005, 12:30 PM
Go by what the dealer said to you.

dunebuggie66
07-20-2005, 01:00 PM
you should ride it like you stole it when you break it in. if you baby it then the hone marks will wear off your cylinder before your rings are seated. then the rings will never seat properly. ride the piss out of it and change the oil after eveery ride for the first few rides. you'll be alright.

cali450r
07-20-2005, 02:28 PM
anyone else have an opinion?

DJJ450r
07-20-2005, 02:32 PM
practice lap:o

red2004 TRX450R
07-20-2005, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by dunebuggie66
you should ride it like you stole it when you break it in. if you baby it then the hone marks will wear off your cylinder before your rings are seated. then the rings will never seat properly. ride the piss out of it and change the oil after eveery ride for the first few rides. you'll be alright.

yep - just dont keep the same rpm to long, lug it or smack it off the revlimmiter.
and make sure u run it throught the gears up and down.

when i first got my 450r i was pissed off because it had no power but once the rings seated it was like a new bike. :D

Punk'd
07-20-2005, 03:07 PM
I think its pretty impossible to go slow on this bike for a long period of time:p I know when I first got mine I was in all of the gears its a 04 and havent had a problem:)

07-20-2005, 06:30 PM
Here is how to break it in.
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

chad502ex
07-20-2005, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by dunebuggie66

Everyone, trust what this guy is saying. I use this technique to "break" in my engines and when I dissesemble the engine it looks perfect. He is absolutely telling the truth about the hone marks filling the rings on new bore. Without the hone marks the rings will not seat in the cylinder correctly and you'll get oil blow by and lost of compression. It's the increase in compression with higher revs and loads that force the rings to the walls of the cylinder on fresh hone in a new cylinder.

Hope this helps.

Chad502ex.com

chad502ex
07-20-2005, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by TRX450R_Racer
Here is how to break it in.
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

exactly, use this technique!

:macho

RIDER136
07-20-2005, 08:17 PM
just ride it like you plan on ridding do not baby it !!!!

plkmonster2
07-20-2005, 10:36 PM
Even though it sounds contradicting, it is true. You need the extra pressure to push the rings out to get them to form inside the cylinder, especially on a bike like the crf with only 2 rings. If the rings don't seat, they will leak, washing the oil off the cylinder. This will ruin the cylinder and piston quick. Also, the rings could move if they don't seat, and may wear out too soon. When i rebuilt my brother's car, the pistons instructions said to accelerate hard, but not full, up to about 85, then let it decelerate down to about 30, then to stop, and do it 3 more times, and then drive it normally. The car still runs great after 90,000 miles!

steveatv3
07-20-2005, 10:54 PM
i have always babyed mine when braking it in, i never pounded the throttle i did take it up in the RPM's but never just mashed it and i never kept it at one rpm to long everything seemed alright

cali450r
07-21-2005, 12:17 PM
I'm thinking of just giving it an oil change when I get home from school today and just taking it out for a race.

dunebuggie66
07-21-2005, 12:44 PM
that's what i would do. race it. mx preferrably. you are all through the gears, and different rpm's. all while riding it hard. and it's fun too!!! when i got my 520 all i did was break in the cam first, for about 15 min. then raced it. i just tore it down for a new piston and rings, after about 20 races, and 2-3 hours of practice a week. i had the compression tested before it was tore down and it was about 190, i had the compression tested after the new piston and rings and it was just a little over 190. the piston can be used again if i need to. basically i put a new piston and rings in it for nothing. i believe this break-in procedure played a big role in the condition of my top end. oh, a good maintenence schedule played a role too.

velocity-raptor
07-22-2005, 02:09 AM
there is a really a misunderstanding when people break in engines, everybody says "ride it like you stole it" and that indeed is bad, now im not saying take it easy

but when you say ride it like you stole it, it means to hard, i know when i hear that phrase i picture people pinning it and luggin it, and all that stuff

which is bad for a new motor

the best way is too just ride it normally, going trough all the gears, yes, ful throttle is ok, just dont peg it or lug it, smooth actions on the throttle do much more than jabbing it to the stopping point

so go ahead and floor it, just take it smooth up to that point

making sure to vary rpms often and all that jazz previously stated