PDA

View Full Version : Are trailtech speedometers worth the money? what happens if thy get wet?

06-01-2002, 09:30 AM
what happens when a trailtech speedometer gets wet? thanx -steven

Leo
06-01-2002, 09:34 AM
are they worth it? depends if you want a speedometer or not :D

mine has been through some pretty wet condtions so far, and it hasn't bothered it a bit.. the computer portion is quickly removable for when you want to wash the quad, etc..

Leo

EXtreme-
06-01-2002, 05:49 PM
heck, I even powerwash mine and no problems! Can't live without it now that I'm used to having it.

250EXChik29
06-04-2002, 07:45 AM
will those things work with a 250EX?

Razorback
06-04-2002, 08:15 AM
they should work on any quad, because it uses a sensor and magnet that mount at the wheel area. are they worth it? just depends how much you think you'd use it. i had one for a while, but after about 6 months riding through a lot of mud and dirt, mine stopped working. the buttons got very difficult to activate and the battery went dead, when it would supposed to last 18 months or so. i also washed my quad after every ride. just my experience, i'm sure many have had good experiences.

MIKE400EX
06-04-2002, 09:31 AM
250EXChick29, The one advertised for the 400EX fits perfectly on your 250EX. I put one on my wife's 250EX last year. It's survived dozens of washes and hundreds of mud and water baths. Still works great. Lot's of info available from it. I "have to hear" how far we went after every ride now! The display snaps off for cleaning (and theft prevention). I mounted it on that "dog-bone" shaped screw cover in the center of the handlebars.

400ex Magnum
06-04-2002, 12:25 PM
I really like having my trail tech speedo. It lets me know how far we have gone so we can watch our fuel levels. I rarely watch the speed. If I am watching the speed, I am not watching the trail very well. Besides, it is always covered in mud. Mine will freak out once in a while if I get water under the mounting bracket. It shows about 90 miles an hour. I just pull it off and dry it off and it is fine. Usually happens when I am cleaning it.

Ranchertype1
06-04-2002, 02:36 PM
Do you guys think that i can get one for a 400ex or something and put it on my rancher 4x4 even though it has drum brakes all around? What does it take to install? Thanks

400ex Magnum
06-04-2002, 02:51 PM
Rancher type

That may be difficult. The trail tech works off of a magnet attached to the brake rotor and a sensor that attaches to the brake caliber mount. The sensor reads the magnent going around and imputs speed from there. Not sure how you would do it with drum brakes, but anything is possible. The nice thing about the trail tech is it allows you to calibrate the computer based on your wheel revolutions.

super_man37366
06-11-2002, 09:12 PM
Hey Mike 400ex U said you mounted it on your wifes 250ex I know it is the same as the 400ex and all but I was wondering were I would mount it if I didnt get new handle bars put on would it look right without new handle bars thinks for all the replys Super-man

super_man37366
06-11-2002, 09:33 PM
bump......:D please reply......

super_man37366
06-11-2002, 10:34 PM
c`mon people

TRX250EXER
06-11-2002, 10:47 PM
will different size tires throw it off like a speedo does on a car? is there a way to change it if you go to a smaller tire?

Leo
06-12-2002, 04:26 AM
the speedo comes with a plastic mount that you can attach to the stock handlebar clamp cover without to much problem..

and yes changing tire sizes will affect the speedometer, but it's pretty easy to calibrate it to any size tire..

Leo

MIKE400EX
06-12-2002, 06:49 AM
Sorry Superman I didn't see the post/question! I mounted the Trailtech speedo to the snap-in cover (kind of oval shaped) that's in the middle of the stock handlebar clamp cover. Looks as though it was meant to go there. I'll try to take a digital picture tonight.

JabberJaw
06-12-2002, 08:52 AM
I just got my bike back after spending over 2K on it, installed the speedometer and am wondering if I did the math correctly.

I input 1676 like the instructions said, it felt like it was reading a little high, but then I measured the wheel distance on the garage floor which came to 66" exactly.

66 x 25.4 = 1676.4 ----- so the number is correct for my bike...

Anyway..... My bike felt pretty fast to me...... when I got back after riding it I did a run up the street real quick, shifted through the gears till 1/4 of the way through 5th gear and backed off....

Maximum speed said: 85.4 MPH
I have 14 x 38 gears.

Could that be correct??????

super_man37366
06-12-2002, 08:56 AM
thankz for the reply.... I really got to see some pictures 0f it before I can totally understand but I do got kinda a picture in my head.. thankz for posting people keep it up.... later super-man

Texan32
06-12-2002, 09:04 AM
You best best is to do one of two things.

1. Find a cop (one that you HAVEN'T P'ed off yet) and ask hit to spot you with his radar gun.

2. Get a friend that has a NEW set of ORIGIONAL SIZED tires on their car and pace them down the road.

You odometer may be really close at lower speeds, but its probably the same concept of putting bigger tires on trucks, the change in speed is exponential. This mean that at 10mph, you may only be 1 mph off. But at 50 mph, you might be 5 mph off....see what i'm talking about?! The faster you go, the more its off. Its REALLY hard getting odometers to be dead on at all speeds. Especially a quad. Think about how much your tires change shape while your riding.....
Just some thoughts...

400ex Magnum
06-12-2002, 10:49 AM
Jabber

Another option to check it is to mark out a known distance, (ie one mile) and drive in on your quad and see how close you are. I live in the country and it is exactly one mile down to the next road. My quad is set at 1660. The above method doesn't work well in the city though.

JabberJaw
06-12-2002, 11:05 AM
I have the stock tires on my bike, so I am pretty sure the actaul setting is correct. I checked their website www.trailtech.net to see if there were any other things I should know about, but all looked good. I measured the distance of one rotation of my tire and calculated it that way to be sure. Both the suggested number and my calculated number were exact.

Since the calculation is taken from the front tire, changing the size of the back tires, ballon effect, or anything else would not effect the speedometer reeding. It states the faster you travel, the more accurate the speedometer works. (I.E. 5mph or less may not update as quickly since it needs two rotations to calculate the data.)

If it IS correct, then WOOHOOO that rocks, if it is not then Woohooo my bike still rips :-)