PDA

View Full Version : 400ex oil change

WheelerBob
07-19-2005, 06:08 PM
This may be a stupid question but I just bought a new 400ex and I was flipping through the manual and seen that in the oil change instruction's it say's to check the oil level at the dipstick but it also say's to check the crankcase oil level at the crankcase oil level bolt located under the oil filter cover. But then it say's in the oil fill section to fill the tank and run for five minutes and recheck the tank and top off as needed, so I'm confused, does anybody have any info on this crankcase oil level bolt, do I need to be checking this or is this a misprint in the manual. Thank's in advance for any replies.:(

quad2xtreme
07-19-2005, 07:16 PM
You don't actually check the oil level with that small bolt. It is to make sure your oil pump is working. Just loosen it a little and oil will come out when you start the quad. If not, your oil pump is bad or clogged. I don't know anyone who does this at every oil change. I actually did it once or twice when I had the Raptor. It really is a stupid check because if your oil pump stops working, it isn't going to just stop working at an oil change. And if it isn't working, you are going to know soon enough when your engine siezes.

Check the oil at the reservoir.

07-20-2005, 03:20 AM
you dont screw in the dipstick either... you unscrew it... then you wipe off the dipstick... then you stick the dipstick back into the tank but DO NOT SCREW IT IN! push it in till it stops then look at it.. THAT is your oil level.. you will get a incorrect reading if you screw the stick back into the tank.

Jesse