PDA

View Full Version : rear end drifting

honduh440
07-19-2005, 01:58 PM
my bike has elka front shocks burgard plus 2's 20 inch tires in the front and stock rear shock with lsr axle and 18 inch tires.

the bike is drifting in the corners like crazy and its driving me up the wall. its almost like ridding on ice 3rd gear corners are nearly impossible to keep straight. im wondering if anyone has been threw this before and has a solution. i plan on getting the gt link and revalved dual rate conversion on the stock shock within the next month but any help would be appreciated thanks

Scro
07-19-2005, 02:23 PM
what kind of tires are you running in the rear

MR.BIG
07-19-2005, 02:36 PM
I am running the new 18" holeshots and those things are incredible. They corner and hookup great. I would guess it has to be your tires though. Hope this helps!

honduh440
07-19-2005, 02:49 PM
my tires are brand new holeshots mxr4's but i know for sure its not a issue with the tires not hooking up it is a lot worse then that. also i was in the dunes a month ago and it did the same thing

quad9
07-19-2005, 02:56 PM
some of the flat track racers are haveing trouble with this same problem. the 450r wont turn like the 250r. a lot of them are using a 4-1 rim and actualy running a narrower front end. seems to help.

plkmonster2
07-19-2005, 04:56 PM
Speed your rebound up. If there are small bumps, the shock may be packing up, and your tires won't keep constant traction.

trx450Rrider
07-19-2005, 05:24 PM
this was happening with mine too. i found out i was running too much air in the tires.

450ss
07-19-2005, 06:08 PM
play with the air pressure it should work.......but dont go to low on air if your going big on the jumps

SLAW
07-19-2005, 06:31 PM
I was also having problems in the corners... I aligned the frontend (I work ina GM dealership and I used the alignment machine) and adjusted the sag and Rebound on my front shocks.

07-19-2005, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by SLAW
I was also having problems in the corners... I aligned the frontend (I work ina GM dealership and I used the alignment machine) lol...did you balance them too?

450ss
07-19-2005, 09:11 PM
so is that why we pay so much for service so you can play with your quad........lol ...........just joking man:blah:

Jersey450R
07-21-2005, 08:41 AM
try bumping up the compression on your front shocks. sounds like maybe your getting body roll.

R3Concepts
07-21-2005, 09:01 PM
Clear this up real quick..The bike is pushing on the corners? Or the rear end is trying to come around on you? Always run into the corners as deep and as hard as you can, then slam on the brakes hard, I use more front then rear, stay in the gas, consitant, not pinned, the rear end will come around on its own. If the front end is pushing, then you may be coasting into the corners, which is a no-no. Perhaps the caster is way off on the arms you have, if they are caster adjustable.Caster is used to make the big turn quicker. Give us more info.

honduh440
07-21-2005, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by R3Concepts426ex
Clear this up real quick..The bike is pushing on the corners? Or the rear end is trying to come around on you? Always run into the corners as deep and as hard as you can, then slam on the brakes hard, I use more front then rear, stay in the gas, consitant, not pinned, the rear end will come around on its own. If the front end is pushing, then you may be coasting into the corners, which is a no-no. Perhaps the caster is way off on the arms you have, if they are caster adjustable.Caster is used to make the big turn quicker. Give us more info.

its not the front end pushing ive got the front end dialed in pretty well. its positive caster but im not sure on what numbers i should have it at or how you even go about measuring that. but its not a ridding error its deffinatly a problem with the bike it spins out and wants to whip around like im on ice. ive rode several other 450r's and they dont have the problem. my old 440ex even handles better then what my 450 is at now.

i talked to a guy today who says to narrow the axle so after i get my shock with the elka dual rate conversion and the linkage if its not fixed ill try that

plkmonster2
07-21-2005, 09:37 PM
I think you mean positive camber? That is like \ / You should have negative / \. I think stock is like 6 degrees for each wheel..

plkmonster2
07-21-2005, 09:41 PM
If you are talkign about caster (Here is a good site showing it http://www.rctek.com/handling/caster_angle_basics.html ) then you should have positive, but this is not adjustable without shims, or flippign the upper arms over.

honduh440
07-21-2005, 09:43 PM
im no professional on mechanicly setting bikes up but i belive caster is the angle of ur top and bottom ball joint on ur aamrs. and they can rotate cuz their on a rod with a nut on the back so u can set them at a angle.

R3Concepts
07-21-2005, 09:46 PM
Whoa whoa whoa..camber has nothing to do with the rear end coming around..Theres something your not telling us, are you running a large amount or air pressure? 6-8 thats it. Do not narrow the axle thats not the problem, like someone said, it could very well be too stiff compression.

honduh440
07-21-2005, 09:51 PM
okay im running 10lbs air pressure. here in kansas we have the hardest dirt in the united states "dry slick" ive always been told more air for it. but then again when i was at the dunes with my paddles on it was the same thing and i mean its not just little bit of slidding it will really whip out on you

R3Concepts
07-21-2005, 09:53 PM
Well theres your problem..AZ is all slick hard tracks and we run 6 psi for those tracks, get into the mudd then go up to 8..10 is too much

honduh440
07-21-2005, 09:59 PM
man i hope so ill be able to play with it this weekend and ill post back sunday evening if it helped out. thanks for your time later

plkmonster2
07-22-2005, 01:48 PM
For caster, you want the spindles to tip back on the top. camber you want the top of the spindle to point in. Just makign sure. I know some arms are camber adjustable, but I never knew you could adjust caster.

sampleez
07-22-2005, 07:17 PM
my houser aarms are caster adjustable. they have three spacers per side (two 1/4" ones and a 1/8" one) that go between the top a-arms and the frame mounts. to adjust it you move the 1/8" spacer.

what does caster affect? i have mine so that it's the stock caster. i think the 1/8" spacer is on the motor side now. what would it change if it was on the bumper side?

Robin Hood
07-22-2005, 09:29 PM
Lower your air pressure to around 5-6, I run my Holeshots at around 4-5. Hope it helps.

Smoker
07-23-2005, 12:16 AM
You'll probably notice a difference when you get your back shock and link done, you're probably just riding a little too high in the rear. For now, crank the pre-load on your front shocks to get the front end up a little to help compensate for the back height, and just put your butt back on the seat before you get on the gas exiting corners. That's my guess, the tire pressure seems high but you say it's hard pack, so you'll have to figure that out.

honduh440
07-23-2005, 01:38 AM
alright thanks for all the input guys ill test out the few things ive got down and ill post back after i get my rear shock back