PDA

View Full Version : key question

Alberta_Qaudin
07-19-2005, 07:41 AM
ok i'm wondering if any one here has taken your key relay or what ever you wanna call it right out and strait wire it or change it out just to a switch.

i never really take my key out and when i'm riding rarely ever turn it off. just wondering if anyone else has taken the key right out of the equasion and if or what ya might have put in its place

HondaEXrider22
07-19-2005, 07:45 AM
Wait so your saying your key doesnt work? Is this on your 400EX?

07-19-2005, 08:05 AM
he is trying to elliminate the key but installing a switch.

Yes it can be done. you first have to test to see what he key switch is doing and replicate that on the switch.

Alberta_Qaudin
07-19-2005, 08:10 AM
yea the key works i just want to take out the whole key set up and just put in a toggle switch or something instead that i can switch off at the end of the day or if i'm leaving it for any length of time, my keys's always on anyways so i might as wekk take it out and never worry about losing it or anything and just put a switch up under the plastic or soemthing.

what do you mean by find out what the key switch is doing, it turns on all the power to the bike right? so i should be able to just take out the key component and conect the wires up to a toggle

07-19-2005, 08:18 AM
Yes thats what it does but you have to find out how.

For instance.

Is it supply power to a main power relay
is it just providing ground to a relay?
is it proving ground to the main Run/Stop Switch

Check how many wires coming from the switch itself.
if its just 2 wires simply cut and put a toggle switch inbetween.

if you have a wiring diagram of your bike to show me i can tell you what to do.

Alberta_Qaudin
07-19-2005, 08:31 AM
i'll pull the wiring diagram off the net asap and see whats going on, i'm pretty sure there is 3 wires coming off it 2 to the upper part and then a ground off the bottom

07-19-2005, 08:37 AM
Ok then its simple

you need to buy a 3 pole toggle switch, solder the ground to the center pole and the other 2 to the other 2 poles.

Alberta_Qaudin
07-19-2005, 08:42 AM
the key carrier isnt acting as any kind of fuse or anything is it.

thanks for all the help Dierwolf, much appreciated

07-19-2005, 08:55 AM
No its just acting as a shunt.

prepracing
07-21-2005, 01:48 AM
your going to have to turn a switch off just like you turn your key off, sounds pointless :confused:

07-21-2005, 06:46 AM
Not pointless, she would not have to worry about bringing or loosing the keys anymore.

TheFontMaster
07-21-2005, 09:46 AM
I got a solition to this. The honda key switch has 2 wires comming out of it that hooks into 2 wiers comming out of the main wireing harness. Unhook the 4 wires, and hook the 2 wires comming from the main harness together. Then it would act like the key is always turned on, and you wouldn't have to wory about shutting something off or loosing a key.

BLAZE1
07-21-2005, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
I got a solition to this. The honda key switch has 2 wires comming out of it that hooks into 2 wiers comming out of the main wireing harness. Unhook the 4 wires, and hook the 2 wires comming from the main harness together. Then it would act like the key is always turned on, and you wouldn't have to wory about shutting something off or loosing a key.

It's always nice to have a way to turn all your power off incase of an electrical malfunction.:devil:

Take ten minutes at radio shack and find a button/switch/lever/knob whatever the fu*k you want to replace your key.