PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in your new 4wheeler?? Read here!!

4everhonda
07-19-2005, 05:24 AM
Best way to break in a 400ex. Take it out in third gear throttle it up to high rmp's and let it go back down, throttle it up and let it go back down. Do this for 3 minutes after that run it hard through all gears. IT WILL NOT TOAST YOUR RINGS

My Proof - I know guys that bought brand new cbr 600r's, two of them. one was broke in like factory said and pussied for 20 hours and the other was broken in like said above. The one that was broken in like above shows a noticable difference in more power. They through them on a dyno and yes the one that was pussied has less hp and is a noticable difference.

I hope this helps some of you by the book users!!

jak1389
07-19-2005, 06:15 AM
lets see the dyno charts.

Axis400exRider
07-19-2005, 10:20 AM
So i take it, that would be the same way for a 450r also??

MotoX3
07-19-2005, 10:39 AM
so your saying it worked on CBRs and will work on 400exs?those are completely different games.....not saying i disagree in that way of breaking them in...but just because it works on a street bike motor doesnt mean it will work on any other engine

2001300exguy
07-19-2005, 10:43 AM
old news i think you guys need to read what moto man has to say it works for al 4 stroke engines and does gain more hps
click here (http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm)

Iliketogofast
07-19-2005, 04:34 PM
How about breaking in a 2 stroke engine...?

Warnerade
07-19-2005, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by 4everhonda
Best way to break in a 400ex. Take it out in third gear throttle it up to high rmp's and let it go back down, throttle it up and let it go back down. Do this for 3 minutes after that run it hard through all gears. IT WILL NOT TOAST YOUR RINGS

My Proof - I know guys that bought brand new cbr 600r's, two of them. one was broke in like factory said and pussied for 20 hours and the other was broken in like said above. The one that was broken in like above shows a noticable difference in more power. They through them on a dyno and yes the one that was pussied has less hp and is a noticable difference.

I hope this helps some of you by the book users!! you would be more moving to the people of this site if you told us what rmp's where....

you do it your way, and risk reliability, and ill do it my way, keep the same amount of power, and not risk any reliability.

Mike_Rides_Red
07-19-2005, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by MotoX3
so your saying it worked on CBRs and will work on 400exs?those are completely different games.....not saying i disagree in that way of breaking them in...but just because it works on a street bike motor doesnt mean it will work on any other engine

Engines are engines you use the same method for break-in. People think that since they have a "high performance" engine such as a crf you have to break it in hard. This is the completely wrong way to do it. The reason some think to break it in hard is to get the rings to seat right. This is partially true. You need some pressure on the rings and thats why they advise you to vary the throttle but that doent mean high rpms.

The problem with high rpm during break-in is that the engine gets hot. If the engine gets too hot the cylinder walls will glaze over before the cross-hatching wears off which means the rings won't seal as well. For the first 15 minutes of a new cylinder/rings the bike/quad should be ridden very easily and then shut it off and let it cool down. This heats and cools the rings/cylinder which somewhat mold to get a better seal. After that you can start to give it more throttle pressure to put more pressure on the rings.
The first 20 miles are the most crutial and the cylinder/rings are pretty much broken in at 100-200.

This method is the best way to get your rings to seal right. Why do you think in your manuals it saids to take it easy during break-in? This method of breaking the engine in easy is reccomended by every engine builder I have talked to. Here is a full web page that explains break-in in more detail. http://ntnoa.org/enginebreakin.htm

jak1389
07-19-2005, 06:36 PM
link doesnt work

wvspeedfreak
07-19-2005, 07:16 PM
I am not arguing either way on break-in procedures(I have been an auto mechanic for the last 16 yrs. and I have my own beliefs on break-ins).I would however be interested in seeing some real proof of the power difference of a hard break-in vs. an easy break-in.

4everhonda
07-19-2005, 08:16 PM
Find the MOTO TUNE USA site and it has it all on there. They have done all the testing!!

450RGNCC
07-19-2005, 09:10 PM
Yah, ive read that page and everything that is on there makes sense and there is proof that a hard break in on a 4 stroke is better, but i dont know about a 2 stroke

2001300exguy
07-19-2005, 09:17 PM
yea um i already posted the site a few post up but here it is again
http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

jak1389
07-19-2005, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by 2001300exguy
yea um i already posted the site a few post up but here it is again
http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

i wouldnt listen to one word that guy says.

.Smaller Intake Ports Gain 7 % More Power !! so he states. then why do people port and polsih to their motor. to get more power out of it. they are makeing the ports larger to gain power, not to lose it.

that alone tells me he's stupid, do want you want to your motor, but everythign he says is rediculously not true

2001300exguy
07-19-2005, 09:31 PM
he has the dyno to back it up and the fact that all of his engines are top competitors in races pretty much states what he does works

jak1389
07-19-2005, 09:39 PM
lol. that guy is a joke

TCracin440ex
07-19-2005, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by jak1389
lol. that guy is a joke

your a joke....i broke in my 400ex motor according to moto tune and my bike is still running strong...and it has more hp than a 400ex that was babied...believe me ive raced a stock 400ex broke in the queer way and mine and mine came out on top every time

plkmonster2
07-20-2005, 01:04 AM
Doing the smaller ports help take up the dead space in the port. I totally agree with motoman. Taking the dead space out will increase velocity, and decrease turbulence. This will allow more air into the motor. When you enlarge the ports, you take out that choke point to also take the dead space out, but your ports are larger, with less vaccum. Both of these methods seem to work. Also, go to thumpertalk and ask the CRF owners. If you do not break it in hard, they will burn oil. Also, how will the cylinder glaze over? It would take some serious heat.

4everhonda
07-20-2005, 05:29 AM
Hey jak your not very smart...... bigger port = More Air and smaller ports = faster air.

How I see it when you have bigger ports and the piston only allows so much air in, it pushes some air back out becasue it wont fit. With HVP it keeps flowing air in becuase it's goin in so fast that there's no stopping it. In all High Velocity Porting pays off.

That guy does have a dyno to back all of his info up!

nebjamin
07-21-2005, 11:59 AM
yea you may have more power but your quad will go to hell a lot sooner.

Mike_Rides_Red
07-21-2005, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
your a joke....i broke in my 400ex motor according to moto tune and my bike is still running strong...and it has more hp than a 400ex that was babied...believe me ive raced a stock 400ex broke in the queer way and mine and mine came out on top every time

Grow up TCracin440ex.

Sorry last time my link didn't work. This web site has actual SCIENCE behind what they say, not just talk.
http://ntnoa.org/enginebreakin.htm

So you guys think every car, motorcyle, quad, etc manufacturer is wrong when they say to take it easy on break-in in their manuals? I think not. BMW specifically saids to keep the revs below 4000 rpm for the first few hundred miles.

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm He saids this method is dyno tested, I dont see any dynos. Also look at the middle of the page where it shows the two pistons. He saids the piston on the right that looks brand new and it has been raced for a whole year. That piston has never been in an engine because it has no oil stains. When you first start a new engine it smokes a little because the rings have not seated. That means there has to be oil stains on any piston that has been broken in. This shows this whole web page is BS.

660WickedRappy
07-21-2005, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Mike_Rides_Red
Grow up TCracin440ex.

Sorry last time my link didn't work. This web site has actual SCIENCE behind what they say, not just talk.
http://ntnoa.org/enginebreakin.htm

So you guys think every car, motorcyle, quad, etc manufacturer is wrong when they say to take it easy on break-in in their manuals? I think not. BMW specifically saids to keep the revs below 4000 rpm for the first few hundred miles.

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm He saids this method is dyno tested, I dont see any dynos. Also look at the middle of the page where it shows the two pistons. He saids the piston on the right that looks brand new and it has been raced for a whole year. That piston has never been in an engine because it has no oil stains. When you first start a new engine it smokes a little because the rings have not seated. That means there has to be oil stains on any piston that has been broken in. This shows this whole web page is BS.

behind you 100% in what you say

Warnerade
07-21-2005, 02:25 PM
ya...that piston is bull****.

jak1389
07-21-2005, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by 660WickedRappy
behind you 100% in what you say

same here man. let them do what they want to their engines, i know better than to do that to my quad.

greg_gorrell
07-21-2005, 07:32 PM
yeah from what i have seen so far in all this is that im gonna take it easy for a few miles then turn it off and let it cool down and run it easy again and then start to crack on it a little bit....that seems like it would be the way to do it to me.

nebjamin
07-21-2005, 08:56 PM
same as if you beat a dog. They might listen quicker but there not going to last long.

SheeRider
07-21-2005, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
your a joke....i broke in my 400ex motor according to moto tune and my bike is still running strong...and it has more hp than a 400ex that was babied...believe me ive raced a stock 400ex broke in the queer way and mine and mine came out on top every time Dude there are to many factors in a race....I started my bike (banshee) up and let it warm all the way up and rode it for an hour (not hard), then let it cool all the way down. Then I did that two more time and then babied it for two more tanks of gas. When I took it back to the dealer for the first tune up a month later, the mechanic said that a kid brought in a "rough banshee" (same year as mine) in wanting to trade for the new yfz450 and he rode it, and then rode mine and said mine had alot more power than his did. IMO I think the break in process is a factor of how your engine will run, but also that all stock motors are not created equal ;) . Also I used synthetic oil!!
:blah:

Vmann
07-22-2005, 06:44 AM
Talking about all the manufactures telling you how to break in there vehicles is based on them not having to deal with consumer problems. Do you think honda our any manufacturer cares out about your HP after break in... no. They tell you to break in your bike to best keep them from coming back in with any problems. Its also based on the fact that other engine components need break in a differant rates affected by engine speed

There is definatelly a moderation on both schools of thought to this subject. If you take it to easy on your engine our to hard you will shape all the internals to close to the tolerances you have been running. Engine speed should definately be varied from a low to a high but by no means should you run the hell out of an engine. If that was the case drag motors wouldn't be turn down after every run because the would be in perfect condition. You would just use the same all season. (I'm talking big name race engines. Not the weekend warrior who can't afford a tear down after every weekend. Before anyone jumps me for how they run there engines all season without touching them and they run blah blah blah.)

I'm with the school of breaking the bike in at all levels of the RPM range. Run it gently for a bit slowy pushing it up then return to a medium and vary the speed from there. Both to a idle and back to a higher RPM. It is good to let the engine cool and parts to sit. Plus it allows you time to look over parts to check for leaks, functioning probably, etc.

But its your bike do what you thinks best.

Vmann
07-22-2005, 07:05 AM
Also forgot to mention to change your oil early. When building engines you use additional grease and components to assemble it. These start to burn off during break in and add to the oil. Thus the reason for changing it early and to evalute for any debris, color, foriegn matter that may have got in there. Help any of this helps

TCracin440ex
07-22-2005, 05:35 PM
never said i broke my bike in hard...but i didnt baby it arround in first and 2nd gear during the break in process, but on that note i wont out drag racing it and i wont all over the box...