PDA

View Full Version : Very scarey story!!!!!!!! (please read)

wheelinforlife
07-18-2005, 08:55 PM
A scary story……….

First I'm going to tell you a little about me and my family. My name is Jeff I am a Police Officer for a city which is known nationwide for its crime rate. We have a lot of gangs and drugs. At one point we were # 2 in the nation in homicides per capita. I also have a police K-9 named Thor . He was certified in drugs and general duty. He retired at 3 years old because he was shot in the line of duty. He lives with us now and I still train with him because he likes it. I always liked the fact that there was no way to bring drugs into my house. Thor wouldn't allow it. He would tell on you. The reason I say this is so you understand that I know about drugs. I have taught in schools about drugs. My wife asks all our kids at least once a week if they used any drugs. Makes them promise they wont.

I like building computers occasionally and started building a new one in February 2005. I also was working on some of my older computers. They were full of dust so on one of my trips to the computer store I bought a 3 pack of DUST OFF. Dust Off is a can of compressed air to blow dust off a computer. A few weeks later when I went to use them they were all used. I talked to my kids and my 2 sons both said they had used them on their computer and messing around with them. I yelled at them for wasting the 10 dollars I paid for them. On February 28 I went back to the computer store. They didn't have the 3 pack which I had bought on sale so I bought a single jumbo can of Dust Off. I went home and set it down beside my computer.

On March 1st I left for work at 10 PM. At 11 PM my wife went down and kissed Kyle goodnight. At 530 am the next morning Kathy went downstairs to wake Kyle up for school, before she left for work. He was sitting up in bed with his legs crossed and his head leaning over. She called to him a few times to get up. He didn't move. He would sometimes tease her like this and pretend he fell back asleep. He was never easy to get up. She went in and shook his arm. He fell over. He was pale white and had the straw from the Dust Off can coming out of his mouth. He had the new can of Dust Off in his hands. Kyle was dead.

I am a police officer and I had never heard of this. My wife is a nurse and she had never heard of this. We later found out from the coroner, after the autopsy, that only the propellant from the can of Dust off was in his system. No other drugs. Kyle had died between midnight and 1 Am.

I found out that using Dust Off is being done mostly by kids ages 9 through 15. They even have a name for it. It's called dusting. A take off from the Dust Off name. It gives them a slight high for about 10 seconds. It makes them dizzy. A boy who lives down the street from us showed Kyle how to do this about a month before. Kyle showed his best friend. Told him it was cool and it couldn't hurt you. Its just compressed air. It cant hurt you. His best friend said no.

Kyle's death

Kyle was wrong. It's not just compresses air. It also contains a propellant I think its R2. Its a refrigerant like what is used in your refrigerator. It is a heavy gas. Heavier than air. When you inhale it, it fills your lungs and keeps the good air, with oxygen, out. That's why you feel dizzy, buzzed. It decreases the oxygen to your brain, to your heart. Kyle was right. It cant hurt you. IT KILLS YOU. The horrible part about this is there is no warning. There is no level that kills you. It's not cumulative or an overdose; it can just go randomly, terribly wrong. Roll the dice and if your number comes up you die. ITS NOT AN OVERDOSE. Its Russian roulette. You don't die later. Or not feel good and say I've had too much. You usually die as your breathing it in. If not you die within 2 seconds of finishing "the hit." That's why the straw was still in Kyle's mouth when he died. Why his eye's were still open.

The experts want to call this huffing. The kids don't believe its huffing. As adults we tend to lump many things together. But it doesn't fit here. And that's why its more accepted. There is no chemical reaction. no strong odor. It doesn't follow the huffing signals. Kyle complained a few days before he died of his tongue hurting. It probably did. The propellant causes frostbite. If I had only known.

Its easy to say hay, its my life and I'll do what I want. But it isn't. Others are always effected. This has forever changed our family's life. I have a hole in my heart and soul that can never be fixed. The pain is so immense I cant describe it. There's nowhere to run from it. I cry all the time and I don't ever cry. I do what I'm supposed to do but I don't really care. My kids are messed up. One wont talk about it. The other will only sleep in our room at night. And my wife, I cant even describe how bad she is taking this. I thought we were safe because of Thor. I thought we were safe because we knew about drugs and talked to our kids about them.

After Kyle died another story came out. A Probation Officer went to the school system next to ours to speak with a student. While there he found a student using Dust Off in the bathroom. This student told him about another student who also had some in his locker. This is a rather affluent school system. They will tell you they don't have a drug problem there. They don't even have a dare or plus program there. So rather than tell everyone about this "new" way of getting high they found, they hid it. The probation officer told the media after Kyle's death and they, the school, then admitted to it. I know that if they would have told the media and I had heard, it wouldn't have been in my house.

We need to get this out of our homes and school computer labs.

Using Dust Off isn't new and some "professionals" do know about. It just isn't talked about much, except by the kids. They know about it.

April 2nd was 1 month since Kyle died. April 5th would have been his 15th birthday. And every weekday I catch myself sitting on the living room couch at 2:30 in the afternoon and waiting to see him get off the bus. I know Kyle is in heaven but I cant help but wonder If I died and went to hell.

300exPat
07-18-2005, 09:02 PM
:( sorry to hear that man, i'm 16 and have never touched a drug before and don't plan on it. thanks for the info, more people should know about it because honestly this is the first time i've ever heard about people using that

wheelinforlife
07-18-2005, 09:05 PM
More people need to know about this stupid high people can get! Stay away!

roostin_dale
07-18-2005, 09:06 PM
Im very very sorry to hear about this. I am also 16 and never have heard of this as a "drug" before. My mom works on computers alot so we always have the stuff around the house, and i always spray stuff with it because it freezes everything over and then disappears (like freon)...its just fun to play with, no one would expect it was harmfull! Once again, i am sorry for your loss, stay strong!

rollie
07-18-2005, 09:07 PM
sorry about your son:(

i didnt know him but he is my age, so it hits home, and thats enough to keep me from doing anything, alot of my friends do drugs and all that but i stay away from them,i want to be as healthy as possible for racing, or anything else i do,i agree with what 300expat said also, i have never heard of this so i can not thank you enough for alerting everyone to this, im sure you've saved a few lifes.

07-18-2005, 09:15 PM
same here im am also 16 and would never be around that stuff sorry to hear that if there is anything i can do to spred the werd let me know

Quad18star
07-18-2005, 09:17 PM
Damn... I'm sorry to hear about this . That's one sad story . I'll have your family and friends in my thoughts and prayers . We do need to get the message across to kids that stuff like this isn't something " cool " ... it will probably kill you .

Warnerade
07-18-2005, 09:38 PM
I have heard of this,I almost did it, a few times...but I heard it kills brain cells, and I actualy plan on doing somerthing with my life...unlike my old friends.The ones I used to hang out with call them "whip its". I spend a lot of time on my computer, and like to keep it running at its peek performance. I had 2 cans sitting in my room last year, and i got a ride home from a few buddies and we were all hangin out, they saw it and asked if they could inhale it, i said no..but walked downstairs to get something to drink. I came back upstairs to one of them tumbling around on my bed, only to see another person falling over and shaking. I didnt know it kept oxygen out of your lungs, i just thought it killed off a few brain cells. Either way, i was scared ****less as i thought both were done for...lets just say they left shortly after, and i dont hang out with them outside of school anymore.

wheelinforlife, im terribly sorry for what you had to deal with, I have no idea what you are going through, I can only imagine. I hope there will soon be a law that prohibits this stuff from being bought by minors. I know in your case it wasnt, but I'm sure it will cut down on kids using it irresponsibly. Last year when i obught my 2 cans, i was 16....and purchased them without a problem.

FoxRacing81
07-18-2005, 09:56 PM
:( :( :( That is so terrible. I am so sorry to hear about that guys loss.

They really need to do something about it. You never know what could happen...

07-18-2005, 09:57 PM
a lot of stuff needs to be ileagal for minors, so much its sad, i knew some people at my old school that would abuse anything with arosol in it, they would go crazy for axe because it had butane in it, did you know that you can even get high off nutmeg, spray paint, paint thinner, and even duct tape has tobe illeagl for any oe under 18. i am very sorry for your loss i cant imagine how you feel right now

Tommy 17
07-18-2005, 10:03 PM
i've seen it done a 1000 + times at college... most kids do it because it changes ur voice to a REALLY REALLY REALLY low pitch... almost like a darth vader sound...

i personally have never done it but i see it all the time...

honda350r
07-18-2005, 10:11 PM
Guys ,this is a true story but it is not wheelinforlifes kid !

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/d/dustoff.htm

TheFontMaster
07-18-2005, 10:49 PM
If you go to walmat and you are under 18 you can't buy spray paint, and at the drug staore where I work, you can buy only a limited amount of some OTC drugs. One guy came in lat week trying to buy 3 packs, about 50 pills, I forgot what they were called but I gues you can make meth out of them. When he was told he couldn't buy more than 2 of them he started acting wierd.

07-18-2005, 10:55 PM
iv'e done the dusters before a few times with friends...they mess you up for 10 seconds and don't show up on drug tests...beat smoking weed and not being able to work. Haven't done it though now in like 4 years

Atkins
07-18-2005, 11:02 PM
Hahaha, it wasnt even him it happened to. Powerful story though. You can die in 2 seconds???? Thats insane.

Punk'd
07-18-2005, 11:21 PM
Man thats sad.. Me and my friend were messing with a can the other day (freezein stuff) I never thought about inhaleing it though:(

yfz4life50
07-19-2005, 12:53 AM
whoa ive done duster before holy crap! i didnt think it would hurt you! i dont even drink or ne thing! wow thanks for the information! and i am very sorry for your loss!

theTman
07-19-2005, 07:21 AM
ya here at walmart they sell something called orangeaid or something close...same use as this "dust off"....they all kept tryin to get me to do it but i refuse becuase i know it will mess me up, and i sure as hell dont wanna be riding and pass out

15 and drug free:macho

07-19-2005, 07:29 AM
Co2 itself will kill you if you do to much at once, the propellent itself just makes it that much more dangerous because its dense.

Co2 = carbon dioxide, something you should be exhaling not inhaling... I really dont know why kids do these things..... probably best just to legalize weed, at least you get the damn high and not die.

HondaEXrider22
07-19-2005, 07:39 AM
I know a bunch of kids who do it, i have never done it, wowo i didnt know you can die from it. My firends cal it duster.

250rAL
07-19-2005, 07:42 AM
This is natural selection. If you aren't smart enough to know that something that affects your brain is bad, then you need to be thinned from the herd.

07-19-2005, 08:07 AM
Well said.

07-19-2005, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by DierWolf
Co2 itself will kill you if you do to much at once, the propellent itself just makes it that much more dangerous because its dense.

Co2 = carbon dioxide, something you should be exhaling not inhaling... I really dont know why kids do these things..... probably best just to legalize weed, at least you get the damn high and not die.
any thing will kill you if you get too much of it, even oxeygen or water

I-7
07-19-2005, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by 250rAL
This is natural selection. If you aren't smart enough to know that something that affects your brain is bad, then you need to be thinned from the herd.

Its kids. They don't know good from bad they hear things from friends and then it goes to the next level. They are taking small steps to try to eliminate this because when I went into staples to get some to clean out my computer, I was I.D.ed and couldn't get it because I was under 18. However the girl behind the counter was like "hehe for some reason its asking me to id you for this" showing that there is many people out there that don't know the hazards. Good post.

MR.BIG
07-19-2005, 09:48 AM
What has always puzzled me is who tries these things first.

nebjamin
07-19-2005, 09:53 AM
sorry to hear that.

My friend died of drug overdose to.

I have some of that dust off stuff in my house. Will it hurt me if I just use it to spray my computer? I dont plan to do anything else with it.

07-19-2005, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by nebjamin

I have some of that dust off stuff in my house. Will it hurt me if I just use it to spray my computer? I dont plan to do anything else with it. you will be fine but your computer will die in 2 seconds from the co2 and try to kill you befire it does die. flames and lightning will shoot out of it and a thick black smoke will be everywhere instantly

insaneracin2003
07-19-2005, 10:24 AM
we must make sure that the kids and even adults use the products as the labeling describes.it is a shame that kids /adults are doing silly chit to get a 10 sec buzz.i received the same e-mail yesterday and was terrified.i immediately forwarded it to my family and freinds.scary nun-the-less.

FTR250Rnif
07-19-2005, 10:51 AM
thats one of the worst stories ive ever heard. even if wheelinforlife copy pasted it from another site, its still horrible.

JRP
07-19-2005, 10:58 AM
hey man im really sorry to hear about that. Its just terriable.

07-19-2005, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by MR.BIG
What has always puzzled me is who tries these things first.

this is what I was thinking. who is the dumb f uck that sits around all day thinking of stuff to get high off of.

WQ_250
07-19-2005, 12:27 PM
I really don't think this is wheelinforlife's life story. In his profile he has a birthday of 10-2-85, and his occupation is Broadcast Journalism. If he did have a kid he would of had his son at 6 yrs old.

I feel very bad for the father of that story. That is a horrible way to lose a son. Parents should never have to lay their children down. My thoughts and prayers are with that family. :(

Kilabanshee
07-19-2005, 12:57 PM
I have a container of the dust off in my drawer. I never new people used this stuff to get high. Very sad story! More people should know what this stuff really does to you.

I-7
07-19-2005, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by 300exPat
:( sorry to hear that man, i'm 16 and have never touched a drug before and don't plan on it. thanks for the info, more people should know about it because honestly this is the first time i've ever heard about people using that

If you've ever drank soda or alcohol you've touched a drug. ;)

07-19-2005, 01:42 PM
think he meens a non legal drug.

he has prolly had medicine for his cold b4.

I-7
07-19-2005, 01:52 PM
I know i was just being an azzhole.

chucked
07-19-2005, 02:06 PM
Another case of what I call the "Its not gonna happen to me" syndrome.