PDA

View Full Version : 400 help

yellow05ex
07-18-2005, 07:47 PM
Im rather new to the sport atv, I have riden utility most of my life. I just got a 05 400 and would just like some opinions on what kind of mods to put. I have read lots of posts askin for similar help, however for this post please state why you believe I should use the certin exhaust, shocks, and cam....for example. Please make it a better reason then "cause I have it and love it". Legit info only please. But anyways, what I basically would like to do is exhaust and a cam. Post anything and remember give me real reasons and why I should want this and what my gains are going to be. Oh yeah I basically do trail riding. Thanks

USAF Dirtboy
07-18-2005, 07:56 PM
I like the FMF powercore4, It has really good bottom end, and is really good for the trails. It is loud but i like the loudness.
Also get a K&N filter, it helps alot with any kind ofn pipe. Oh yeah bars those...stock bends really easy, and dont get moose becuz they bend just as bad...i suggest you get tg or renthals.

yellow05ex
07-19-2005, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the advice, but how about a full system (pipe) that isnt really LOUD. I know pipes are loud but something within reason, I dont want the entire state of PA to know when I fire up my 400

USAF Dirtboy
07-19-2005, 11:39 AM
Then try the FMF "Q" it is quiet but has just about the same performance

enduro400rider
07-19-2005, 11:44 AM
HMF pipe very good quality good performance good looks comes in differant colors. its a little loud but your not going to find many good quiet pipes.

UNI filter filters better than K&N ALOT easier to clean flows as much or even more than K&N cheaper than K&N. i had both filters and i am much happier with my UNI

tires i would say Klaws front and back they get great traction and they have a reversible tread pattern. they last a long time they are durable, and cheap

Nerf bars are a must, they will save you if you land wrong mine have saved me from many broken ankles. i have AC nerf bars i like them they look pretty good too.

get a bumper cuz the stock one sucks. look around find one you like they are all better than stock.

for your motor i would stay at the stock bore but get a High compression wiseco piston and a hot cam stage 1. it will increase your power by alot. and still be reliable

yellow05ex
07-19-2005, 05:48 PM
What is the option for jetting when getting the HMF pipe? I mean why would I want to pay or wouldnt want to pay the extra $7? Also, what ration piston 11:1?