PDA

View Full Version : Race Fuel

BigGun400EX
05-31-2002, 10:03 PM
Coupple people at a local shop said it wouldn't hurt anything to run race gas in a stock bore/piston 400, the run it in there race bikes/quads with stock engine. What do ya'll think? In a stock 426 they said they run either VP 108 or Neutec (SP?) 112, any one know anything bout this?

SANDTRAX361
05-31-2002, 10:17 PM
my mechanic said just put the gas in and go it wont hurt anything even if its high octane it makes your motor run cooler and that means more hp
later
grant

Nausty
05-31-2002, 10:18 PM
yah but you don't see that horse power differance unless your riding when it would normally be to hot and you start to lose power though right?

skemp
06-01-2002, 10:43 AM
I guess I feel bad for the people that run race fuel in their vehicles, including quads, that don't need it. The presumption with race fuel is that it will make you go faster by making your bike/quad run better; maybe so, if you have a high compression motor. Race fuel is just a higher octane fuel, that isn't normally available through the pump. It has a higher octane rating so it resists igniting prematurely before the plug fires. This can happen when running high compression (usually 11:1 or higher) because the fuel/air mix. is compressed so tightly that it ignites itself from the heat/pressure. So basically, by running race fuel in a relatively low compression motor that has no pinging/detonation issues, a person is wasting their money. Granted, race fuel is usually cleaner, and has fewer detergents if any, but as a whole, it isn't worth buying unless you need it.

But I guess you can run it if you want, it definitely won't hurt anything, but your quad should be just as happy with 90 octane at like $1.50/gal. as it would be with race fuel at like $5.00/gal

Hoodeye3
06-01-2002, 03:21 PM
Race fuel is only warranted for high comp motors! other than that a major waste of BEER money. (Dont deprive yourself)

BigGun400EX
06-01-2002, 09:01 PM
What about that 109 octane that is SUSPOST to have a coolant or somethin good for MX? Does it really make your engine run cooler? And I know spark plugs look better if you run race fuel but do they last longer or anything?

skemp
06-02-2002, 02:06 AM
I know there are fuels that claim to make even a stock engine run cooler, but the difference would be minimal, and most likely not worth the cost. I don't think it would increase spark plug life, but you shouldn't really need to replace the plug very often unless you foul it real bad or the electrodes are worn. Like I said though, to each their own. I just choose to save the money and have the convenience of using pump gas. If a person wants to run race fuel in a motor that doesn't technically "need" it simply for piece of mind, I say go for it.

Giz400ex
06-02-2002, 08:26 AM
Skemp, very well said!!! I was gonna add to this thread but I didn't want to say the samething you said. But, I can say that I do run race fuel but thats because I have a 11:1 compression (thanks to CT). Yes, it runs cleaner and all that (plus it smells great), but here in NY, VP is $6.00 a gallon!!!! Thats alot, granted I don't use alot but still!!!! To fill that tank it will cost me about $12.00.

airheadedduner
06-02-2002, 10:38 AM
All racing fuels makes your motor run cooler. Racing fuel burns cooler and more consistant over the piston. You only need it if you are running high compression or you are wasting money. The power gain you will receive is only if you are running a high compression piston. High compression=more heat, heat robs power. Thats where the power gain comes from.

Ononewheel
06-02-2002, 10:50 AM
Just thought I'd chime in on this one. Yes you can run race gas and not hurt anything. Other than performance that is. If you have high compression it is required after a point. Running race gas, c-12 cam 2 etc.. should cause you to lose some power unless you have a serious motor then it is all about power. Race gas is not oxidized so it should run a little richer, the plugs also have a totally different color, more of a gray than a brown it will look lean. For what it's worth, I put cam2 in my R1 at the dragstrip when I ran out of pump gas I slowed down 2 tenths of a second. The r1 is stock, it's no 400ex either but it was hard numbers to compare. Vp and sunoco both offer a variety of different types of fuels and I am sure they make one that will make some power. Look them up on the net or give them a call on the phone and talk to them. They will send you a booklet with all the products and a lot of information about fuel. Use what they recomend and you will be good to go. Oh if you just want the smell mix it half and half with your regular gas, or order a bottle of gas perfume from Summit. I hope my letter of continuous rambling is of some use to you. Good luck and have fun.

FullBore52
06-02-2002, 11:04 AM
If you want to waste your money running race gas with only 9.1:1 compression, go for it. The YZF426 is like 12:1 straight from the factory, so in race conditions you really should run the race fuel in it. In my EX, I'm running either race fuel or alcohol, and I'm at just about 13.5:1 compression. (I dont run alcohol much anymore because its just a pain in the *****) 92 will work just fine in your EX but it wont smell as good. I run race fuel in the shee too, because its got like 190 pounds of compression...

motochris
06-02-2002, 02:59 PM
Your race fuel is only good for 11.01 and up. If you want to up the octane you can do a 50/50 mix, 50%gas, 50%race gas(110 and under octane)

We have been working a little with Ethanol and Ethanol/gas mix. The cylinder and manifold will stay cool,BUT you had better jet BIG to run this or you will melt down a piston using just ethanol. We have been trying and using between 1/8th up to 1/4 gallon of ethanol per gallon of pump gas. Doing this stuff is NOT for the novice. You better check your plug and see what its telling you.

We run drag cars with a mix of race gas and ethanol and they do quite well but you have to keep an eye on things to and don't just poopoo it off.

Also ethanol will not hurt rubber parts gasket ect, its way diffrent than methanol. When you have ethanol and fuel mixed right you will feel a diffrence. On my drag car with a mix we gained almost 3tenths and 2 mph with a very thin mix. I have a frien who is in a motocross race to day with a ethanol/gas mix and we'll find out how it works. Have a good one,time to ride!!!!

Maryland 400EX
06-02-2002, 04:47 PM
From what I have observed, the 400 EX drinks very little gas so cost wise it's not a big deal to run race fuel. I say use the Nutec Special 4. It's 90 octane oxygenated fuel that equals 98 RON octane. I use it in my Hayabusa and the stuff works! I would suspect that if the timing was advanced and main jets were larger on the 400 EX, one could gain performance with Cam2 or VP C12 but the Nutec works in any motor. I've seen guys on the dyno with stock 600 Ninjas pick up 3 HP by just pouring the Nutec in. Three horsepower isn't much, but **** you've got guys spending $400 on aftermarket pipes on 400EX's that net ZERO HP gains! Go figure....

Adam496
06-02-2002, 05:36 PM
a nother thing not to be a ***** but i dont suggest smelling it
if u keep doing it constitly it will harm u, scence V-12 does have lead in it

honda400exrider
06-02-2002, 06:21 PM
is it bad 4 the bike to use 87 octane?i accadentaly put a tank in mine but didn't ride it hard if it matters. theres 93 in it right know but wondering if it would do any damage? thanx

Giz400ex
06-03-2002, 02:11 PM
Adam496, not to be an ***** but do you somebody that just stood there and was smelling it all day??????