PDA

View Full Version : Hot Cams, Im Sorry But..

ravage3000
07-18-2005, 11:50 AM
Now that there are a stage 1, 2, 3, what would be best for a pretty much stock engine. I dont plan on putting in a big bore or high comp. piston. And the stage 3 is out of the question.

I do mostly open trails so mid, top end increase would be nice. I do trail mostly and mx occasionly, but will be racing soon hopefully. I dont want to loose any power or snap anywheres. As long as its better than stock everywhere i'll be a happy camper.. Need opinions, reveiws, etc please!! Thanks!

DH400EX
07-18-2005, 11:58 AM
If you want mid to top, id go wit stage 2.

jak1389
07-18-2005, 01:05 PM
if you dont want to loose anything but have a gain everywhere, go with a stage 1.

rr4406pak
07-18-2005, 01:48 PM
I put a Stage 1 in my 400EX and did not notice any improvement untill I got rid of the stock exhaust.

Put a K&N filter on it. No improvement.

Once I put the full exhaust on she really started to move. Big difference. Way bigger improvement over stock. Lots of power and perfect idle.

The exhaust I put on was a full Curtis Sparks X4 (not X6) ceramic coated (the coating sucks). For gears I'm running a 16T up front and a stock 38T in back with 18" tall tires. Kicks butt on trails and the track.

ravage3000
07-18-2005, 01:50 PM
right on! i already have a full Pro Circuit system and will be getting a UNI filter some time. Hey Thanks! I think im gonna go with the stage 1! Thanks!

quadracer505
07-18-2005, 08:58 PM
I read that the stage 1 ticks realoly bad, I don't know if it is true or if you really care but I thought I might mention it

2001300exguy
07-18-2005, 09:37 PM
i heard the ticking takes away likie 40 hp:eek2:
lol jk
they do tick but it aint gonna cause anything bad

07-18-2005, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by rr4406pak
I put a Stage 1 in my 400EX and did not notice any improvement untill I got rid of the stock exhaust.

Put a K&N filter on it. No improvement.

Once I put the full exhaust on she really started to move. Big difference. Way bigger improvement over stock. Lots of power and perfect idle.

The exhaust I put on was a full Curtis Sparks X4 (not X6) ceramic coated (the coating sucks). For gears I'm running a 16T up front and a stock 38T in back with 18" tall tires. Kicks butt on trails and the track.

you actualy put all that on with the stock exhaust:eek2:

Nate408
07-19-2005, 08:36 AM
I been reading everyones post about this new stage 3, old stage 2 stuff for a few months now. I been to hotcams site and they dont have anything on nor does any of the shops ive talked to. Does anyone have more info on this? just curios. Also by running a stage 2 without a higher rev limit setting, would i not be getting the full benefit of the cam?
thanks,
Nate

ravage3000
07-19-2005, 09:02 AM
then maybe i wont go with the stage 1. Need more suggestions and stuff. Thanks!

rr4406pak
07-19-2005, 11:06 AM
you actualy put all that on with the stock exhaust

Yes I did. I also had a 416 kit in there too believe it or not (what was I thinking?)!. I did not think that the stock exhaust could be that bad. BOY WAS I WRONG!

Putting a full aftermarket exhaust on it after I did all those mods was like unleashing a freight train of power!

As for the ticking. I can hardly hear any ticking with my Stage 1. No one I let ride the bike notices either.

With a Stage 2 cam it is all top end. Wide open. The Stage 2 with an improved rev limiter makes the 400EX very hard to start in cold weather.

The Stage 1 cam is the profile Honda should have used from the factory...

400ex28
07-19-2005, 11:52 AM
Im stuck here also, i dont know if i want a stage 1 or 2 for MX

FoxRacing81
07-19-2005, 12:13 PM
Once my 426 warms up, you can hear the tick of the Stage 1....But that's why I ride full throttle :D so you cant hear it.:macho

ravage3000
07-19-2005, 12:30 PM
damn it! why do decisions have to be so hard?? need more suggestions lol

spud400ex
07-19-2005, 01:38 PM
ive got the stage 1 in my ex and havent heard any ticking sound. it runs like i expected but i want more power. with the 16 tooth countershaft sprocket and sandsharks i cant pull 5th at the dunes.

ravage3000
07-19-2005, 01:50 PM
well, from what im reading on another site(local), the stage is much better and loose no bottom end. Sooo, i guess im gonna go with the stage 2. Thanks alot for all the suggestions and stuff!!

Thanks

Mark

04'400ex'er
07-19-2005, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Nate408
I been reading everyones post about this new stage 3, old stage 2 stuff for a few months now. I been to hotcams site and they dont have anything on nor does any of the shops ive talked to. Does anyone have more info on this? just curios. Also by running a stage 2 without a higher rev limit setting, would i not be getting the full benefit of the cam?
thanks,
Nate You can run the stage two with a rev box, but you wont notice a whole lot of difference. the power falls off before peak. also, beware of floating a valve with the rev box on stock springs if you bounce off the limiter alot. I would not advise this and hotcams wont either. but the stage 2 is fine for the trails if you ride aggressive. If you lug around alot then you will like the bottom end on the stage one. Personally, i like the mid range of my stage 2. It pulls really hard. and if you ever find yourself in a position when you need bottom end power and your motor is lugging down, all you have to do is feather the clutch a little and you will come out of it. So the loss of bottom didnt really bother me any.

smokinwrench
07-19-2005, 10:33 PM
I ride very aggressive. I also ride lots of wide open dry sandy river bottoms with dirt bikes. So I need all the power and speed I can get.

I just installed a Wiseco 10:1 piston on stock bore. Old style stage 2 hotcam. Velocity intake. I haven't installed the 16 tooth fornt sprocket yet.

I just test ran it Sunday. I have the jetting close but not perfect yet. The power is unreal compared to stock. If you ride hard you'll love the stage 2 cam. I have not hit the rev limiter, I was worried about that when I done these mods.

400exrider707
07-20-2005, 12:34 AM
The stage 1 does tick quite a bit louder than stock because the vavle clearances for the hotcam are a hair bigger than factory cam settings. If you dont hear the tick, then you might be out of adjustment and your cam might not be letting the valves close all the way.