PDA

View Full Version : A-Arms for Recreational Trail Rider?

atvtrailrider
09-17-2001, 08:01 PM
There are lots of manufacturers selling A-Arms and Swingarms for the 400EX. Does wider A-Arms or a longer swingarm make enough of a difference for a trail rider. We ride dunes, mountain trails, and desert trails. No MX racing. Are the MX racers the only one that can benefit or?

09-20-2001, 08:43 AM
Nope,,,,get you a set of Houser racing arms,,,+1 wide and 1/2 inch forward,,,you won't need new shocks and it does make a difference..Houser has a webpage in the links section.

09-21-2001, 07:21 AM
Well I might have lied,,you might wanna get new shocks cuz they will be a little softer and I don't know if want that..

Foxrage
09-21-2001, 02:51 PM
Ya get the +1 inch for the cross country and if you have bottomed the shocks out just trail riding u might want to get new front shocks.

09-24-2001, 01:00 PM
Well this weekend when I went to the practice track I was hitting all the big jumps and it really didn't bottom out to bad,,,,I figured once I hit the stepdown,,,which I guess is about a 45-50 foot downhill double, and my frontend soaked it up pretty good. Only a few spots were I came close to bottoming it out,,,I'll still be getting them revalved but for now they're working pretty good. Now I don't know how stocker front shocks will work but my triplerates are doin the job just fine..

400exRacerX
09-24-2001, 08:39 PM
yea definatly go with the +1,+1 forward for x country.

oynot400
09-27-2001, 09:14 PM
Here is a question for ya, if you get extend a-arms do you need a wider rear axle? And vis-vera? :confused:

atvtrailrider
10-01-2001, 02:47 PM
Ok. Everyone seems to think their is benifit to the trail rider. What in? Stability? Cornering? Jumping?

Is +2 too much?

10-08-2001, 02:48 AM
I'm curious too...

I race hare scrambles - so I don't want anything too wide. With the stock components, I seem to have little trouble getting through the tight sections (most of the time!).

Anyway, to the folks that have plus 1" a-arms and a 2" extended rear axle - how much benefit do you feel you gain from a 2" wider quad. Is it worth spending all that money for 2" of width?

Thanks,
ogre

oynot400
10-08-2001, 08:06 AM
I think that when they say +1 or 2 that is 1 or 2 inches per side. So if you went +2 that would make the quad 4 inches wider.

10-08-2001, 08:49 AM
Going +2 total,,,,1 inch on each side does make a difference that can be felt,,,with the handling, landing crooked off of jumps, turning,,,it's hard to believe that little amount of width could make a difference but believe me it does. I think +4 total is too much for woods riding,,,especially if ya don't have reverse. I trail ride along with track racing and a +2 total is perfect,,if I'm gonna do extensive trail riding I'll also bring my back wheels in on my axle,,,since it's adjustable.,, I thought all this out long and hard before any purchases and I think I've made the right choice. I really would have liked to go with +2 A arms instead of plus 1 but ya can't have your cake and eat it too,,,either ya go +4 total and stay out of the woods or take a chance,,,or go +2 total and go were ya want and not be nervous of getting hung up. :D