PDA

View Full Version : rode the Raptor 700

YFZ450Ridr
07-18-2005, 07:22 AM
Well yesterday me and my friend jon atop his new raptor 700 headed out to flat river for some riding. it was a great day to, until about 12 or 1 when it got hot. any way we were takin a break and i got a chance to ride it. this thing has got some torque! every time i would switch gears and punch it, i would break traction ALOT. we raced a few times and i got him pretty good, about a bike length, off the line, then once i got to the top of third he was next to me and when i hit 4th he had passed me and pulled away fast. we dragged on about a 400ft sand straight and he said he never even had it to the rev limiter in 5th. we lined up with about 6 other guys, 2 on 400exs, another z400 with paddles, and 3 450s with paddles, and this one banshe/streetbike thing. anyway i beat the other 2 400s and got smoked by every one else. but jons raptor pulled threw and he killed everyone out there every time. the powerband comes on sorta like my Zs, but stronger and a little faster. its right inbetween the powerband of a 450 and my 400. any way thought id share my day with this new beast 700 out.

redlineranger
07-18-2005, 07:28 AM
cool man i want to ride one bad to see what its like..... is it faster than a yfz.... god i rode one right b4 christmas and nearly shat myself.... ridin a recon all day then hoppin onto a yfz wus like goin from a tricycle to a crotch rocket...... but anyways is it as fast or faster than a yfz?

I-7
07-18-2005, 07:29 AM
I hope he broke it in correctly... :eek:. Definatley doesn't sound like he did.

YFZ450Ridr
07-18-2005, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by I-7

well we took it easy the entire day and got the engine nice and hot then turned it off and let it cool down. we rode for about 5 hours and at the end of the day were the drags. but its his bike not mine:ermm:

and as for being faster than a yfz its a yes. not for short sprints tough. the yfz will take it untill about the top of 4th, maby bottom of 5th. i had a hard time countin the gears while i was watching because there were a lot of guys racin. but once the raptor catches back up it will keep pullin ahead.

Toadz400
07-18-2005, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by I-7

Best way to break it in is to break it in the way you want to ride it. Unless he was WFO in each gear hitting the rev limiter.

I hope that someday I'll be able to try out one of the 700's, extremely curious as to how they handle compared to the 660's and how much of a power/throttle response difference there is with the FI.

YFZ450Ridr
07-18-2005, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Toadz400
Best way to break it in is to break it in the way you want to ride it. Unless he was WFO in each gear hitting the rev limiter.

I hope that someday I'll be able to try out one of the 700's, extremely curious as to how they handle compared to the 660's and how much of a power/throttle response difference there is with the FI.

well ive never ridden a 660 before, but throttle response was excellent. and the handling was actually really nice. it seemed to handle pretty predictibly. it sat up a little high, but nothing like the 660. the seat height was just right for me i liked it. i just couldnt believe that the powerband would keep rising and rising, i never found rev limter on it. i think this bike would be a BLAST in the dunes. this bike can deffently drag race too, but its gota be sort of long to get the full effect of the 685cc motor.

I-7
07-18-2005, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by 250EXridr
well we took it easy the entire day and got the engine nice and hot then turned it off and let it cool down. we rode for about 5 hours and at the end of the day were the drags. but its his bike not mine:ermm:

and as for being faster than a yfz its a yes. not for short sprints tough. the yfz will take it untill about the top of 4th, maby bottom of 5th. i had a hard time countin the gears while i was watching because there were a lot of guys racin. but once the raptor catches back up it will keep pullin ahead.

Oh ok just checking because it just sounded like he rode it pretty hard but it looks and sounds to me like a sick quad.

HondaEXrider22
07-18-2005, 04:16 PM
Sweet man your lucky. I would want to ride one.

BLAZE1
07-18-2005, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by I-7
Oh ok just checking because it just sounded like he rode it pretty hard ...

HaHa!
I am sick of everyone saying that you can't break them in hard. My brother and I bought z400's on the same day. He broke his in by the book, I on the other hand have been riding it like I stole it from day one. needless to say 6 months later, mod for mod, my z smokes his.

This is the first brand new machine I have owned but for me there is no break in period!

400exrules
07-18-2005, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by BLAZE1
HaHa!
I am sick of everyone saying that you can't break them in hard. My brother and I bought z400's on the same day. He broke his in by the book, I on the other hand have been riding it like I stole it from day one. needless to say 6 months later, mod for mod, my z smokes his.

This is the first brand new machine I have owned but for me there is no break in period!

i think its fine to be kinda hard on it for break it, u just need to not runnin around bouncin off the rev limiter and stuff, and u need to make sure u change the oil and filter after like, the first tank of gas

flyin#5
07-18-2005, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400

ahh... the great myth told by people who just cant handle putting a quad through heat cycles. heat cycles wear off the high spots created from honing. just like grinding off the excess steel when you cut or drill through it. as the engine gets warmer and warmer as you keep riding everything expands, tolerances get closer, "breaking it in more" but your breaking the wrong part in. you want to be taking off the high spots, and keeping the low. once you get the engine to warm with the high spots still there.... you take them off very fast, and then you start shaving down the low spots which are vital to maximum compression.

250-R-250
07-18-2005, 06:54 PM
Just curious flying whats your method, for a 250r?

That raptor sounds like a blast too, but I think the only real thing its good for is dunes, but her I never rode obe,