PDA

View Full Version : wheelieing

ridered86
05-31-2002, 08:31 PM
how do you guys wheelie on the grab bar or balanced any tips help:(

Nausty
05-31-2002, 08:39 PM
do you have a 400ex? If its a 2 stroke its a lot harder but you will find a ton of information if you do a search also. But basicly on a 4 stroke if you go to far back you let off the gas and when it starts to go down give it gas. If you know your wheelie bar is gonna hit try to hit the brake. I think its easiest to learn them with your left foot in the wheelie bar because its easier to find the balancing point.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid11/p19c0a5120b9b9ee164aa95ab08ea3877/fe0b8227.jpg

ridered86
05-31-2002, 08:48 PM
yes i have a 400ex and it wheelies but i just cant shift gears other than that im fine:)

440exnacsracer
05-31-2002, 08:56 PM
once you master wheelying, try this. ride on one side (lefty or righty) then get in a straight line then gas it and lean back. you can ride onto one wheel into a wheelie. you have to have a few ponies in your motor though to do it good.

honda 400ex 69
05-31-2002, 09:16 PM
do you guys pop the clutch?

Nausty
05-31-2002, 10:17 PM
I don't. If you wanna shift your not gonna be able to use the clutch though. I just let off the gas and shift. But I don't do it that often. Just every once in a while when i wanna get pumped so i do a 4th or 5th gear wheelie.

02REDEXRIDER
05-31-2002, 11:43 PM
i''ll wheeleie my 400 EX all day of the week . you don't have to pull in the clutch to shift gears but if your good like me and most of the SENIOR members here you can. It's not that hard once you find the balance point. I have wheelied mine 400 yards at least and thats because thats the most flat land i can find. I AM BAD*****:devil :devil :devil :devil :devil

05-31-2002, 11:59 PM
are u for real, would u like a cookiek for ur acevments????

FullBore52
06-01-2002, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by 440
are u for real, would u like a cookiek for ur acevments????

lol, thats what i was thinking, but in my thoughts the words were spelled right! haha

I've wheelied my banshee about a 150 feet, not on purpose though...lol that stock swingarm really gets you in trouble sometimes

-=Skot=-
06-01-2002, 12:36 AM
i hear ya 440 wtf?

2002_300_EX
06-02-2002, 01:50 PM
i tried wheelying yesterday for the first time and i found out the back of my helmet is sturdy;)

300EX KING
06-02-2002, 02:57 PM
What i do is i sit up towards my gas tank, and right as i gas it i slide to the back of the seat and pull the handel bars, that brings it right up to the balance point. from there you could go all day. i have a 300EX and they are one of the best wheelie quads.

2002_300_EX
06-02-2002, 02:59 PM
i did about a 5 second whelly with my foot in the pull bar in the back of the quad on my 300....lot easier than sittin down and doin it

FullBore52
06-02-2002, 02:59 PM
Well...I need to correct that estimate for my banshee. Yesterday and today I wheelied it roughly 600 feet, starting in 5th gear and keeping it there..

Juggalo
06-02-2002, 03:30 PM
just keep practicing. yesterday i rode a wheelie through all 5 gears while holding onto the front bumper while i passed some kids on a lakota sport. u shoulda seen their faces when i passed em. it was pretty cool :)

Tommy 17
06-02-2002, 04:05 PM
heres my wheelie... i got alot better since then... i can go now till i run out of room...

2002_300_EX
06-02-2002, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Juggalo
just keep practicing. yesterday i rode a wheelie through all 5 gears while holding onto the front bumper while i passed some kids on a lakota sport. u shoulda seen their faces when i passed em. it was pretty cool :)

were they like....:huh ?

06-02-2002, 04:37 PM
the way i practicd was to knee on the seat, with ur feet sticking off the back, so if u whellie to high, u just stand up

Tommy 17
06-02-2002, 04:47 PM
i found the best way to learn how wheelie is to get in a field with a slight hill... go up the hill in 1st gear and pop it up... as ur goin ur going just keepin letting on and off the gas... the quads goin to sound likes it boggin out and its ready to shut off... u can go forever this way... but if u get ur rpms up to high its gonna loose power and set the front end down if u dont' shift and it seems once u shift into 2nd u gotta grab 3rd and 4th and 5th and b4 u know it ur pinned wide open... just put it in 1st gear and keep the rpms low and u will go forever...

also sittin down is alot easier then standing up... but once u learn how to stand u can do them farther...

Juggalo
06-02-2002, 05:02 PM
don't do the lame one knee on the seat/grab bar thing. thats whats known as a ***** wheelie and they don't hepl you learn that much. just practice the normal way. if you start going to far back grab the clutch and tap the back brake. my friend ruptured his spleen doing a ***** wheelie. his foot slipped off and the grab bar came up and hit him in the gut. don't do it cuz its not even very helpful.

Rider#11
06-02-2002, 09:57 PM
when i do a wheelie i keep it in 1 or 2 gear, i stop and pop the cluch once at balance point i ether stay seated or stand up and ride it verticaly slowly but pretty far

RdingManiac420
06-03-2002, 08:21 AM
Whatever your style wheelie is just DONT POP THE CLUTCH!!!

jhr400EX
06-03-2002, 08:32 AM
don't pop the clutch on the road, it results in very painful injuries

2002_300_EX
06-03-2002, 09:33 AM
i dont care what you say about poppin the clutch.....thats how i get my front end up....you just gotta do it right

Tommy 17
06-03-2002, 11:24 AM
i never had to pop the clutch with my quad stock... and when i do dump the clutch or fan it for fun it never does anything anyways... u don't need a clutch to ride a wheelie...

JustRace
06-03-2002, 11:30 AM
I'm wheelyimpared

06-03-2002, 12:04 PM
Theres one long straight away in a subdivison next te mine. i rode a wheelie 5 th gear pinned out, its such a rush

Rastus
06-03-2002, 03:29 PM
Im perfecting my wheelies now. I can do a wheelie up a hill standing up, but, i cant hardly get a wheelie on flat ground :(

06-03-2002, 03:47 PM
I don't know how to ride a wheelie..:( :(

muff
06-03-2002, 04:08 PM
my friend can pull some pretty sweet wheelies on my recon, he'd pop the shifter into second and get on the rear rack

i dont know if any of you have kazaa, but if you do search for swedish atv wheelie in the video section, a guy is riding 2 up on a polaris and he does a wheelie just by leaning back, i think it was a sportsman 500 but i'm not sure, and it was on flat ground

Striker49
06-03-2002, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by 400ex21
i can go now till i run out of room...

Yeah, I can too. Pretty ez once ya get the hang of it. I can do a wheelie in every gear cept 5th but I dont have enough room to try it. Just remeber to hit those back breaks b/c you dont want a grab bar lookin like mine. Its scratched to heck, bent a little and gots some dents in it. :blah Have fun.

tkatka70
06-03-2002, 08:39 PM
the first time i drove this kids 300ex stock i was pulling wheelies like nothing there easy on a 300ex

Rastus
06-03-2002, 08:57 PM
Yep.

2qk4u
06-03-2002, 10:24 PM
heres me styling a wheelie

pbarr86
06-04-2002, 07:25 AM
I can do the stand-up wheelie no problem but I can't go very far at all sitting. I tried a standing 1 handed wheelie the other day that didn't go so well:grr

Paul

Tommy 17
06-04-2002, 07:55 AM
pbarr it not a very good idea to stand on the wheelie bar like that... if it goes back to far and ur foot slips off it can set down right on ur foot and drag ur foot under the quads wheelie bar and ur probably gonna break something... put ur feet back on the pegs when u hit the wheelie bar just tap the rear break and it goes right back down.....

DEAL
06-04-2002, 07:55 AM
I can do em all diffrent ways , up hill down hill , sittin , standin , through al lthe gears , or just stay in one gear.

MoparTrav
06-04-2002, 08:54 AM
there simple, but when things go wrong they suck. I was riding in the sand (luckly) i was in 5th gear just flying, and hit a bump, my back wheels came off the ground and i landed on my grab bar. Luckly i was thrown or the bike would of landed on top of me. knocked my shoulder out of place but its better than broken bones. but i still wheelie all the time. :D

RideRed04
06-04-2002, 10:37 AM
boy, this is a wheelie good thread! hehe. Yeah, just get in a big field and piss around for a day, you will figger it out. I think riding on the 2 side tires is more fun, imho.

Rastus
06-04-2002, 10:57 AM
Thats fun too :)

yellowrider
06-04-2002, 11:21 AM
yeah it is nice riding on the side to wheels but before i got rid of my 300ex 02
i could notice how the wheels look sorta bent ..

i can also ride a wheelie 1-5th up hill down hill

bUT i can not rid a wheelie in one gear or less i pop it up in 4th i have no idea why and also standing up is easy but i dont recommend you putting both of your feet in the grab bar put one foot where the shifter is so you can switch gears and if you go to far back grab the clutch most of the time that works

06-04-2002, 11:22 AM
d@mn im good;)

yellowrider
06-04-2002, 11:27 AM
i know alot of people that can ride a wheelie on polaris i wasnt very good riding a wheelie on my polaris though until i had my friend on the back then he went for a long ride let me tell you

wheelies are great but putting your legs over th plastic then doing a wheelie is cool

Honda99_300ex
06-04-2002, 12:34 PM
i was wondering what the easiest wheelie is to learn . I have a 99 300ex and i can kinda ride a wheelie on it pretty good but they arent that high. it feels like im gonna flip but people say the front wheels are only about 1 foot and a half or a little more off the ground.....what should i do? thanks

Striker49
06-04-2002, 01:30 PM
You guys have problems with the gas running out the overflow? I know its supposed to some but its just like a stream outta mine. Also, how do I get it to turn off when I want it up on the grab bar. I need it stood up b/c somin is rustin but my gas keeps pouring out even though I switched it off. O well, any help would be appreciated. Thx. :cool:

06-04-2002, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Striker49
I need it stood up b/c somin is rustin but my gas keeps pouring out even though I switched it off. O well, any help would be appreciated. Thx. :cool:

There's still some gas left in the float bowl,,that's what is still running out,,there's a screw on the carb you can turn to drain the rest of the gas out before you tip it up.;)

I'm still learning to ride wheelies what kind of tips can you guys give me...right now I put it in 4th gear,,hold the throttle wide open then pop the clutch. Does that sound right???:huh :huh

Striker49
06-04-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Rico

There's still some gas left in the float bowl,,that's what is still running out,,there's a screw on the carb you can turn to drain the rest of the gas out before you tip it up.;)

I'm still learning to ride wheelies what kind of tips can you guys give me...right now I put it in 4th gear,,hold the throttle wide open then pop the clutch. Does that sound right???:huh :huh

Thx Rico. Any Idea how much is gonna pour out? J/W. :cool:

Well, I guess you could always start out by hitting a little bump or somin and the front should come right up. Just pull up as soon as you hit the bump. I can do it ez like that ridin mine in 4th but you need to keep it reved high enough that it has low end that you can use to punch the gas and pull it up with. Maybe that made a little sense. Its very ez but Im not good at explaining things.
Find a little bump, hit it in top of 4th, pull up and off you go. Just make sure you have plenty of room b/c 4th gear wheelies tend to use up room really quick. ;)

MoparTrav
06-04-2002, 02:36 PM
mine was just pouring gas out of the overflow also, i had a piece of plastic stuck in the float valve.

06-04-2002, 02:47 PM
[B]

Thx Rico. Any Idea how much is gonna pour out? J/W. :cool:

[B]

You might loose a shot glass worth of gas out of it..I let the gas drain into a clean jar and just pour it right back in the tank,,if no dirt and crap comes out of it..

And I was kidding about the wheelie thingy..the best I can do is start in first and get up to 4th gear without letting the wheel's down. I just don't ride wheelies too much don't wanna scratch the fancy powdercoat I had done...

Striker49
06-04-2002, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Rico

You might loose a shot glass worth of gas out of it..I let the gas drain into a clean jar and just pour it right back in the tank,,if no dirt and crap comes out of it..

And I was kidding about the wheelie thingy..the best I can do is start in first and get up to 4th gear without letting the wheel's down. I just don't ride wheelies too much don't wanna scratch the fancy powdercoat I had done...

Thx again... Ill get out and work on it when it cools off tomorrow. Its 95* outside and 85% Humidity. :huh
Ive got the a/c blastin and every door in the house shut. :blah

Thats a good thing that you can do em, I was really beginning to get worried there. Famous Rico not be able to do wheelies? haha. :cool:

06-04-2002, 03:10 PM

Thats a good thing that you can do em, I was really beginning to get worried there. Famous Rico not be able to do wheelies? haha. :cool:

Well here's a good story for ya..I was at a practice track this weekend and there's a tabletop that slopes down hill. I normally hit it in 3rd pinned or 4th half throttle,,I preloaded my suspension the wrong way and ended up having my nose go down before I landed,,I literally rode a 1 wheel wheelie with 1 of my front tires..it jerked my hand off the handlebars and It made me sit on my nerfbar by accident,,,needless to say I almost beefed it,,but I didn't...:eek: thank God..:D No damage to me or the quad,,but talk about chitten your britches...woo hoooo

PsychoDave
06-04-2002, 03:17 PM
honestly....i cant ride a wheelie very far....i understand the balance thing...i just cant do it. it sucks because i can ride a wheelie on a bmx bike for MILES (i rode around my high school track with no problem non stop) i can even do NO HANDED wheelies on a bmx bike for about 25 feet. i just cant seem to get it going for a long time on the quad. I mean i can shift from 2 to 3 in a wheelie but i cant seem to keep the front end up! DAMMIT!

Striker49
06-04-2002, 03:29 PM
O yeah Rico, I got to see that frame when you was down for the LBL ride. Pretty sweet. Sparkles. haha. :blah

Tommy 17
06-04-2002, 03:35 PM
pedal bike wheelies are so much fun... my fav memory was at ocean city maryland... we were there last summer and me and my friend adam decided to show off for the girls on our gt performers... well we started riding wheelies down all the roads and goin around turns and riding backwards and all that fun stuff... well i was riding a wheelie i went about 3 blocks and i got goin to fast... flipped over and ripped all the skin off my knuckles on both hands blood every where... lets just say i felt like a total butt haha... but they girls still were impressed by use so my battle wounds were worth it haha... i still got scars...

phsyco dave how do u ride urs... i only pedal half way then back wards then half way again then back wards then half way again then back wards... i keep doin that if i just go not stop forward i seem to go to fast and i have to hit the breaks... it works perfect for me... sounds kinda funny don't it...

if u hit the wheelie bar on ur quad it is scraey the 1st time or 2 but i am use to it now that it doesn't even bother me... i never had it come back on me so u don't have to worry about that...

Lil90man!!
06-04-2002, 07:43 PM
yea i can honestly say i'im pretty good at wheelie'n on my ex:D of course i grew up riding a 90 which has to be the easiest quad EVER to balance and jump off of if u go back to far so it was kinda easy i could ride up through our field all the way to 4th(only has 4 gears) then slow back down to 1 again then go back up or ride it forever in any gear then after bout 3 months of having my ex i finally tried doin wheelies and 5 months later i'm pretty good at it:P i've only did 2 or 3 5th gear wheeelies due to lack of room....:eek: them are FUN. but most of the time i like doin the 1st gear having to use the clutch so it don't die goin so slow ones:P but yea i have the problem with the gas flowing out but mine DOESN"T stop it keeps flowin and i mean like A LOT of gas comes out u can tell if i wheelie alot or not by how much gas i use cuz it leaks so much but ? ahh well i would post a pic of me riding a wheelie but its to big and just takes up space so just use your imgination:blah

TravEX
06-04-2002, 09:17 PM
i just got my 400EX last friday and i really haven't tried it yet,,,but on my 2000 Polaris Scrambler 400 2x4 (no flames please,,hehe) i could ride till i ran outta room in open hayfields, or wheelie it on pavement till it started toward the ditch because of uneven rear tire pressure, hehe,,,i can't wait to start trying on my EX, but i'm waiting on a tire from the dealor since mine BLEW OUT the second time i rode it, it was less than 24 hours old,,,later

FlyinRed
06-04-2002, 10:03 PM
just practice sitting down, in first get goin a lil let off the throttle and then stab it as you throw your weight back. Befor you know it you'll be rippin 5th gear wheelies accross the dunes with 3 beers in your hand and making mouth jestures at your buddys. Dude I was rippin 1 wheelied wheelies on a kasea 90.

PsychoDave
06-05-2002, 08:29 AM
on a bicycle i ride real slow and use the back brakes. i can speed up and coast a wheelie, or i can go real slow and almost look like i will fall..... i canride wheelie on a mt. bike real good too. now if i could just get the quad wheelies going

250rmike
06-05-2002, 05:23 PM
my friend acually got my dads sportsman 500 up into a wheelie

MX MadMann
06-05-2002, 07:44 PM
my sportsman 500 used to ride wheelies forever in low range. the other day i rode a wheelie at a waste management plant for about 1/4 of a mile. i was in 5th gear and i look down and see the ground shooting by really really fast. i start laughing my butt off still riding the wheelie thinking , no 1 is going to believe this. but luckily my friends were there and saw the whole thing. i had to sit it down because i was laughing so histerically that i was about to crash , plus i diddnt have much room left. we call the place " the drag spot " , because its pretty much a helaciously long stretch of perfect golf course like grass with no bumps. the grass is so nice i guess becuase its like up against the fence of the waste managment facility. one whole end is nothing but clover all over the ground and you can slide around anyquad imaginable , EVEN A STOCK BLASTER!! anyway , if ur ever in southeast texas ( beaumont area ) ill show ya. :devil

Pappy
06-05-2002, 08:24 PM
i watched this kid ride wheelies like this all day. i dont think i can even sit on my quad like that much less ride it that way!!

06-05-2002, 09:18 PM
haha yall think ur good. yall sound liek it. but 400 yards? thats kinda weak aint it? where yall live? come down to mobile/alabama and ill show ya a few things. and yes its really easy to shift using the clutch.

honda 400ex 69
06-05-2002, 10:03 PM
i never get any traction when i pop wheelies. and my tires are in good shape what should i do?

i pop wheelies by putting it in 1st and holding in the clutch give it gas and pop it. and when i roll in 1st then gun it i max out to quick.

06-05-2002, 10:06 PM
hey man, roll in first gear and shift into second and hol dthe clutch in when u shift give it all the gas and pop the clutch and pull up just a little bit. for some reason alot of ppl cant walk a 400ex and i dont see how, its easy but i guess im just used to it.u oughta come down here sometime with it and ill teach ya how.

06-05-2002, 10:09 PM
heres my quad

honda 400ex 69
06-05-2002, 10:11 PM
how do u do that thing were u go from 1st to 2nd. and ride a wheelie?

06-05-2002, 10:12 PM
hey man wuts ur screen name ill instant message you

honda 400ex 69
06-05-2002, 10:14 PM
honda300ex69

MX MadMann
06-05-2002, 10:16 PM
with a stock 400 , you should easily be able to pop the clutch in 2nd and take off in a wheelie. w/ 18" tires and a lil more power its really easy to do it in 3rd , well it is on mine at least. my front end is really light , i have douglas black lables with holeshot mx's , .160's which are extremly lightweight. when you start in 2nd gear it doesnt rev out very fast and u can usually just jab the gas in 2nd and pull it to start a wheelie but i dont know your machine.

FlyinRed
06-06-2002, 10:23 AM
First of all, unless you weigh 60 pounds YOU DON'T NEED TO USE THE CLUTCH. its not the best thing in the world for it. like I said before, get a rolling start. and pull the bars back as you throttle it. If your hevenig problems with that just throw your weight back. Also if you get rolling and let off the throttle and stab it again, the rebound of the front suspention will also help pop the front end up. You will get no control from poping the clutch. Practice that, then try it standing up. After that put the bike into a bicycle, then pull it into a 1 wheeled standing wheelie and see how long you can hold it. Also for a bar hop wheelie its the same, I do almost all of my wheelies starting in second gear and can take em to 5th. with balance this should not be a problem on a stock bike, altho added horspower will help. Also for shifting, i never use the clutch because i dont have to, just shift it like you were riding it. be carefull to apply the throttle in the new gear smoothly, if the back wheels start getting to fast let off the throttle some. you can also use the back breaks, but those are pretty jerky so I only use them when dragging the grab bar or really slow wheelies. I think down shifting can be done more smoothly. A wheelie is all body positionfor balance, the horsepower just get the front end in the air and keeps you moveing. For your last wheelie mission let go with your clutch hand and ride em out. you can even start out 1 handed and throw youe weight back as you stab the throttle. yes this will crank the wheels. when you start coming down, lean forward a little and pust the bars back somewhere in the middle, the camber of the stearing will right itself and you'll be fine (unless your in the top end of 5th). It may be easyier to learn if you hold something in your hand, I choose beer, try drinking from your bevrage as you ride. All these tricks (except the 1 wheeled wheelie) I can also do with a passenger. and lastly standing on the grab bar is asking for trouble, you can't hit the rear break and if you do hit the grab bar, its over. In any other position you can ride on the grab bar till you get it together or coast to a stop.