PDA

View Full Version : heim joint care?

dvrman
07-17-2005, 07:08 PM
Could anyone refer me to some info on how to care for your heim joints? I have some Janssen MX Techs but can't seem to find anyting on their site.

Thanx,

Dan

smith_400ex_213
07-17-2005, 10:24 PM
get either a-arms with ball joints such as houser or the leager t-pins.....houser has some beefy ball joints on thier regular travels...thats perdy much the only way to fix that prob...get rid of the open hiems

plkmonster2
07-17-2005, 10:31 PM
Anyone have a picture of a heim joint? Never seen one...

dvrman
07-18-2005, 05:21 AM
smith_400ex_213,

I don't have a problem with my heim joints. Or did you just mean that having heims in general is a problem...

Actually, all I'm wanting to know is what is the best method for cleaning/lubing/maintaning these.

Thanks for voicing your obvious preference to regular ball joints though.

Anyone, anyone??

jak1389
07-18-2005, 07:35 AM
what i do with mine, is just squirt grease inside the rubber cap. you can buy little pieces that attach to a grease gun that have very tiny holes. or yuo can take off the rubber cap and just put grease inside it and then put the cap back on. i used zip ties when putting it back on. much easier to put on take off. i used a heavy duty axle grease and it seems to be working out well for me.

TBD
07-18-2005, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by dvrman
Could anyone refer me to some info on how to care for your heim joints? I have some Janssen MX Techs but can't seem to find anyting on their site.

Thanx,

Dan
I would use soap and water. Do not lube them, because that will only attract more dirt.

smith_400ex_213
07-18-2005, 08:45 AM
yea i know but that is the best thing to do wiht the open hiems is to get rid of them

450Rcarbonpro
07-18-2005, 09:52 PM
Here is a trick. I use Dupont teflon all purpose lube. It is specifically designed to as a dry lube that does not allow anything to stick to it. the teflon additive makes it work. It is a wax base lube similar to wax chain lube. Hell this stuff works so well I do use it on my chain and nothing sticks to it as well. It also works good for coating all rubber and plastic garmet and seals. It conditions them. good stuff you can get at the autopart store. Here is a review I found when I was try to find out about the product.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/dupont-teflon-chain-lube.htm

You can also go to duponts web site and look under performance lubes. This stuff really is cool.

450Rcarbonpro
07-18-2005, 09:59 PM
Also check out this lube. I order a can haven't got it yet. Looks promising......... http://www.tfl50.com/

400grl
07-19-2005, 11:09 AM
My alltime favorite lube is the 3M Dry Silicone I get here at work......I could go through a case of the stuff in a month - I use it on every joint/boot/rubber piece on my quad every time I wash it.........I also use it to detail my car - great for dashes, trim, door seals, locks.......all kinds of *****!! :)