PDA

View Full Version : 2005 400ex question

mentalytwisted
07-17-2005, 06:21 PM
I HAVE A STOCK 2005 HONDA 400EX THAT I GOT ON 7-10-05 AND IM ALREADY HAVING SOME PROBLEMS. FIRST THING IS THAT THE PARKING BRAKE STICKS BUT IM NOT TO WORRIED ABOUT THAT, THE MAIN THINGS ARE THAT THERE IS A CLICKING IN THE MOTOR AND ITS BLOWING OUT BLUEISH SMOKE. ITS ALSO LOSEING THROTTLE RESPONSE IN THE LOW END RANGE. THE SMOKE DOESNT COME OUT WHEN IT IDLES ITS JUST DOES WHEN I REV IT OR WHEN I RIDE IN HIGH RPMS. THERE IS ALSO A LEACK IN THE COOLER FOR MY OIL AND THE ENGINE IS OVER HEATING PRETTY BAD. SO I WAS WONDERING IF I HAVE ALREADY FRIED THE RINGS AND IF ITS NOT GETTING OIL OR WHAT BECAUSE I HAVE NO IDEA AND WAS LOOKIN FOR OTHER PPLS OPINIONS. IM TAKING THE 4 WHEELER TO THE SHOP TOMOROW TO HAVE THEM CHECK IT OUT THOUGH. AND I WAS ALSO WONDERING IF ITS BECAUSE I DIDNT BREAK IT IN RIGHT. PLEASE GIVE ME SOME FEEDBACK

jak1389
07-17-2005, 06:31 PM
i would say you broke it all wrong. did u just hop on and rip it hard. not a smart idea. ur rings are probably toast.

tp300ex
07-17-2005, 06:59 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^what he said i havent had one thing rong with mine!!!!!!

mentalytwisted
07-17-2005, 07:20 PM
AIGHT WELL HOW WOULD U RECOMEND BE BREAKING IT IN REALLY GOOD CUZ I KNOW I GOING TO HAVE TO GET NEW RINGS ALREADY. DO U THINK IT WOULD HAVE SCREWED UP THE CYLINDER OR ANYTHING? AND IM STILL NOT SURE IF IT WAS CUZ OF ME NOT BREAKING IT IN RIGHT CUZ LIKE I SAID ITS LEAKIN OIL IN THE RADIATOR THING ABOVE THE OIL CONTAINER. AND DOES URS GET REALLY HOT WHEN U RIDE IT FOR A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME?

jak1389
07-17-2005, 07:27 PM
well when breaking it in i would take it real easy. go threw the gears, but dont have it in high rpms and dont let it bogg out. jsut keep it in like mid for a little bit. and jsut do that for a few hours.

2004exrider
07-18-2005, 01:04 PM
wow.. its pretty hard to hurt these motors, you musta really screwed this one up! howd you break this thing in??

WheelieMan4
07-18-2005, 03:00 PM
i have an 04 and broke it in hard and havent had a problem yet. i do have a clicking noice from my motor now but that didnt happen untill i took my lid off and put a k&n in. im sure its dirt in there thats causing the noice, not how i broke it in.

3x440ex
07-19-2005, 04:04 AM
you didn't do anything wrong to your motor. sounds like an assembly problem. maybe they didn't space the rings properly. it is normal for a new motor to run hot during break in but the oil should not be blowing past the rings. take it back to the dealer, they will fix it for you. if it were me who owned or mannaged the dealership i would give you a another quad and send this one back to honda.

4everhonda
07-19-2005, 05:23 AM
Best way to break in a 400ex. Take it out in third gear throttle it up to high rmp's and let it go back down, throttle it up and let it go back down. Do this for 3 minutes after that run it hard through all gears. IT WILL NOT TOAST YOUR RINGS

My Proof - I know guys that bought brand new cbr 600r's, two of them. one was broke in like factory said and pussied for 20 hours and the other was broken in like said above. The one that was broken in like above shows a noticable difference in more power. They through them on a dyno and yes the one that was pussied has less hp and is a noticable difference.

I hope this helps some of you by the book users!!