PDA

View Full Version : 440 price

badtothebone440
07-16-2005, 11:54 PM
bought my 440 off ebay ....turns out needs almost all new bearings and the frame is cracked right by the shock mount. I didn't know about it when I bought it and needless to say im not too happy....but there's not a whole lot I can do about it. Exhaust is junk (FMF megamax 2, would have replace that pos anyway) so im going to have about $400 in a full system and about $200 in bearings etc. so im going to have about $2600 in this bike....its a 2000 model. Just wanting to know how much 440s are worth and how bad or if I am coming out of this deal bad or not. Thanks guys

250xridamatt
07-17-2005, 11:08 PM
So you payed 2000 for it? Did he not mention anywhere about the cracked frame? Sorry to tell you this man, but you really need to check something out better before you buy. If it doesnt have any other mods, and the frame is cracked it isnt going to be worth that much. Im guessing its just a basic 440 kit.

badtothebone440
07-17-2005, 11:30 PM
well what the deal was was that it had mods that i wanted (double rate works, good ac nerfs, etc.) and it had an FMF silencer. Well I hate FMF so i was going to sell it, but the thing wouldnt make good junk, it was all beat up and broken. I drilled this guy question after question on the phone and email and he assured me it was a good bike, i even called the motor builder that did that motor. I even had a guy inspect it before I took it home while the seller was there! Then me and my buddy get it down to the nitty gritty and inspecting it hardcore and it needs almost all new bearings and new chain/sprocket (I knew this going into the deal, he said all the thing needed was new chain/sprockets and it would be PERFECT) and the frame is cracked ($70 fix) and the frame is primered so i have stripped it down and am completely repainting it all. We checked the engine and it appears to be a 440 but no aftermarket cam or anything too crazy, just a reg. 440. SO at this point i have $2200 in it, gonna have $70 for welds, $60 for sprocket/chain, $150 for cam, $450 for exhaust.....the more i think about it the more I think I got screwed! Is there anything I can do about it though? The quad was totally misrepresented, I'm pissed but that doesnt get me anywhere.....I just thought that maybe since i got the quad for 2 grand i was stealin it, but i will have nearly 3 in it to make it competitive.....you guys think I got screwed? Just curious. And any ideas on what I can do or do I have to just put up with all the probs that came with the quad? Normally i wouldnt have ever bought anything without having seeing it first but i talked to the owner and he assured me so I thought I was pretty much stealing this quad. What would you guys do and how bad did I get screwed? Thanks again guys ....I'm new here but have been reading a lot of posts and i like this forum a lot....not much bickering like many other forums

darkstar
07-18-2005, 04:00 PM
I think you got a good deal all for the part about the frame but it sounds like a little fixable crake.I just got a 200 400 and it has no bake brakes and needed bars and plastics.it was all stock only thing it had was a dmc pipe and dg pipe and i paid 1850 for it and i think that was a good deal.

Jonas
07-19-2005, 09:42 AM
I just sold my 2000 400ex for $4,500. It had many extra's though. If you think about what it would have cost for a brand new one, then so far you came out ok. That is if their is nothing esle going on with it.

brian250racer
07-20-2005, 05:57 PM
Your best bet is to just forget how much you spent for it, What's done is done. If you were to have had it for awhile, the bearing would need to be replaced by now anyhow(routine matenance). If you ride hard (or even not so hard),you WILL crack a stock frame. Use it as an excuse to gusset the thing. After that go out, ride and be happy!!! Atleast it's better that a stock 2005 400ex, and you don't have $5000 + into it!:)

badtothebone440
07-21-2005, 12:17 PM
I thought about that too, I didn't realize it but my buddy said the EX frames cracked pretty easily above the shock mounts, and hopefully I'll be racing it and that would have needed to be seen about anyway. And bearings, no big deal, any other cheap 2000 model probably would have needed them too. Now the only question is Sparks or HMF exhaust. I've heard overall sparks is better but hmf is a very close second and comes with a quiet core (would be handy for riding state trails) and HMF comes in black which will match my soon to be black frame :cool: . I'm getting ready to paint the frame myself....anyone know of a good paint to use that will look nice and not come off easily? Thanks again for the help