View Full Version : How soon should I weld this??

450RGNCC
07-16-2005, 02:54 PM
I was looking my bike over because im going up to Rausch Creek tomorrow to go riding, and I happened to see some chipped powder coating on my swingarm. Apon further investigation, I found a hairline crack running along a weld. I chipped off some more powder coat and took pics of it, In the first pic I circled the spot in white, in the second pic I traced the crack with white to show you where and how big it is. Will this be ok to go riding on tomorrow? It doesnt seem like a very structural part, it is just cracked where the cut out is in the cross brace for the rear shock. What are your opinions?

450RGNCC
07-16-2005, 02:55 PM
next

450RGNCC
07-16-2005, 02:56 PM
sorry about the first pic, and by the way this is not the stock swinger, it is a Burgard.

Syrus
07-16-2005, 02:57 PM
Well obviously if it cracked it is a structural point of the frame.

But im no expert, so i cant really tell ya if you could ride tomorrow or not. Id say aslong as your not hittin huge jumps and bottoming out that should old up. But then again it is aluminum.

450RGNCC
07-16-2005, 03:00 PM
actually it is steel

Syrus
07-16-2005, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by 450RGNCC
actually it is steel

Ya sorry i was thinking about the frame.

Pappy
07-16-2005, 03:07 PM
i would have it repaired before you went big. that seems like an odd place for it to crack but anything is possible.

450RGNCC
07-16-2005, 03:07 PM
sorry, but the frame is steel too

Punk'd
07-16-2005, 04:05 PM
Maybe you went so big it scratched the back of your engine:confused:

Weird place for a crack:ermm:

450RGNCC
07-16-2005, 09:16 PM
No, theres no way that could touch the back of the engine, if it did there would be plenty of other things f'd up. Plus, there is definitely a crack there, its not just chipped paint. Ill take it easy tomorrow and keep an eye on it, if it gets bigger Ill quit for the day. or maybe I should just break it to have an excuse to get a new swinger and linkage???

R3Concepts
07-16-2005, 09:30 PM
Its not a huge deal..What happens is when they notch that gusset out for the spring, they use a plate on the spring side. Its welded right where you traced, the reason it cracked is becuase they didnt leave enough of the weld on it. They ground it smooth, to give it a good apperance, but if there is not good penetration, then it cracks, as you can see. R3Concepts.

XCredrider
07-16-2005, 11:29 PM
its the subframe on the 450 that is aluminum

Pappy
07-17-2005, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by R3Concepts426ex
They ground it smooth, to give it a good apperance, but if there is not good penetration, then it cracks, as you can see. R3Concepts.

there is no ground weld on that swing arm. i can almost count the number of beads in the weld...lol

id suggest taking the swing arm over to izzy and having him look it over. it would be fixed for free and if he see's anything he doesnt like he will probably hand you a new one. that swing arm was built for the owner of the quad you bought and as far as i know it is the only one built with that design.

Syrus
07-17-2005, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by 450RGNCC
sorry, but the frame is steel too

Really ?? ithought the 450's frame was alm ?? heh didnt know that, thanks

aroracer72
07-17-2005, 11:44 AM
Those kind of cracks are caused by awkward landings. Have you landed fairly hard on one sides two wheels lately???.....or repeatedly???.........it shouldnt crack like that unless you have it too loose...or its a flaw in the craftmansship.
Chad

R3Concepts
07-17-2005, 02:27 PM
Sorry, hard to see Pappy. Regardless, it has no direct structural bearing on that cross gusset. If the cross gusset was cracked then I would say its a big deal becuase it could cause the swingarm to spread apart near the needle bearing housings.

Pappy
07-17-2005, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by R3Concepts426ex
Sorry, hard to see Pappy. Regardless, it has no direct structural bearing on that cross gusset. If the cross gusset was cracked then I would say its a big deal becuase it could cause the swingarm to spread apart near the needle bearing housings.

no prob, i figured the other pic maybe better.

i have seen swingarms crack near the bearing areas, and alot of cracks near the shock mount but i havent seen one in this location.

450RGNCC
07-17-2005, 05:31 PM
the crack has appeared since I bought the quad, and I havent done much jumping with it at all, and the jumping that I have done is small. Anyways, I rode it for a while today at Rausch Creek, and I was clearing a nice size table top and some other jumps, but the crack hasnt gotten any bigger, so i will weld it before I ride again which will be in a couple of weeks. BTW, i rode on the 6 hours of atv America track that was used on saturday;) :D