PDA

View Full Version : This is why you use anti-seize

wvspeedfreak
07-15-2005, 05:55 PM
I recently bought a used 400ex and I went to change the plug today and after quite a while of working with it,it came out.Unfortunately when it did,it brought the threads out of the head with it:mad: .Always use a little anti-seize on the spark plug threads.......aluminum heads aren't very forgiving.

nosliw
07-15-2005, 06:34 PM
hope the guy before you regularly greased the swingarm bolt and rear brake lever too or you'll be in for a hell of a time ;)

what are you going to do about the spark plug thing?

wvspeedfreak
07-15-2005, 06:38 PM
The swingarm bolt is good.............already checked it;) .As far as the plug goes,I am not a really big fan of helicoils in plug holes so I will probably just look for a used cylinder head.

nosliw
07-15-2005, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
I am not a really big fan of helicoils in plug holes so I will probably just look for a used cylinder head.

smart man. ebay will probably be your best friend with that.

chazekxt
07-15-2005, 08:03 PM
that also happen to me with my geo tracker lol

wvspeedfreak
07-15-2005, 08:30 PM
Yeah,I have seen it happen on several automobiles myself over the years.It's never a good thing when you go to loosen a plug and it starts to move then immediately locks up:ermm:

07-16-2005, 06:47 PM
did the spark plug need replacing? I have had the same one in my motor for a while. (havent had motor for long) prolly should check it out..

wvspeedfreak
07-16-2005, 08:17 PM
Actually,the plug didn't look too bad.I was just doing some routine maintenence on ot since I had just gotten it and wasn't sure how long it had been in there.Oh well,you don't know what it looks like until you take it out.........I'll get 'er fixed:macho ;)

07-16-2005, 08:55 PM
my modo is dont fix it if it aint broken. if it is broken get out the hammar and zip ties.

definetly not the best thing to do. main reason for that being my modo is my cash flow situation.

plkmonster2
07-16-2005, 09:22 PM
It looks like the engine had a bad case of detonation. The aluminum exploded and stuck to the plug, pulling the threads with it. When i bought my 400, I took a lot of things out, ncluding the plug, air filter (checked for dirt in intake) and just gave it a good look down.

wvspeedfreak
07-17-2005, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by plkmonster2
It looks like the engine had a bad case of detonation. The aluminum exploded and stuck to the plug, pulling the threads with it.

The aluminum exploded?Not hardly,there was no signs of detonation on the electrode portion of the plug.It just seized up in the threads.

wvspeedfreak
07-17-2005, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by mittimj
my modo is dont fix it if it aint broken.

Well, like I said it was just routine maintenence on a quad I had just gotten and didn't know any history on as far as when anything had been replaced.No matter when I would have pulled it out it would have still happened.