PDA

View Full Version : Swingarm bearing help

FoxRacing81
07-15-2005, 04:06 PM
I can't get the swingarm bearing out of 1 side of my swingarm. We put an impact sockect the size of the bearing on the whole and put a brass drift thro the other whole in the swingarm for the bearing and pounded on the bearing. 1 side came out easily doing this, the other side won't budge. Is there any kind of ring holding it in?

Also, my swingarm only had the caps on the end, the bearings, the dust seals, and 1 collar. On Alba's diagram, it is showing about 4 dust seals, 2 collars, and a few other things. Is mine correct or no? It seemed like it was held in there fine.
It was replaced not too long ago with an All-Balls swingarm bearing kit that came with the collar, bearing, and seals if that makes any difference.

skyhighatv
07-15-2005, 04:34 PM
if you cant beat it out try shaving down a section with a dremel then take a realy sharp screwdriver and tap it between the bearing and swingarm at the area you just shaved down ,pry/crush the bearing out of round and it should come right out.

quad2xtreme
07-15-2005, 05:51 PM
Sounds like you are doing it right. There isn't a ring holding it in.

I agree with using the dremel. I've had to use that approach a couple of times. Do not use heat. It is easy to distort the roundness of the hole (done this too).

You have to have 2 collars (one is much longer and visible on the right side of the quad, the other is shorter and hidden inside the swingarm between the engine bushing and the frame side.

There are only two seals.

Use this link to see a diagram

http://www.servicehonda.com/hard%20parts/atv/trx400ex%2099-04/trx400ex%20frames%20page.htm (link to diagram)

/Jon

Chino
07-15-2005, 08:41 PM
there should be two collars, long collar goes on right side, short one goes on left side. two big dust seals then your caps go over them. Then on the inner of each side of the swingarm where your collars are there are two smaller dust seals that you put in. Easiest way to put these in are with a small hammer and small flat head screwdriver.

So, all in all
2 collars ( one bigger than other)
2 caps
4 dust seals (two dust seals under the caps on the outside) (two small dust seals that go on the inside of the collars)

FoxRacing81
07-16-2005, 09:01 AM
Yes, I am stupid. My friend pulled them outta the swingarm, and I only remembered seeing the 1 collar sticking out of the swingarm...got it now.

We're gonna get some Dremel attachments and try and smooth out the inside of the hole. Shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks guys.

-Justin