PDA

View Full Version : Pipes came!

HondaEXrider22
07-15-2005, 12:36 PM
Well today my pipes came for my quads and both caME WITH THE RED WB POWERFILTER AIRFILTER(caps sry) Now i have 3 filters for my 250. stock, TWIN AIR, the powerfilter, and a cutom one i made from a piece of foam with a stockin round it. what to use? (pretty much either powerfilter or twin, What do you suggest?

( Since all this stuff came i will have some more questions lol)

Thanks!

Chino886
07-15-2005, 12:38 PM
Use both alternate them when they get dirty, I am planning on buying an extra to have as a spare.

HondaEXrider22
07-15-2005, 12:46 PM
OK thanks for the fast reply. I will have some more questions later im sure(lol, i think)

thanks

HondaEXrider22
07-15-2005, 07:16 PM
OK Well, for the 250. I got the pipe on(White Bros. E-Series), jetted main to 112(instructions said 110, i said screw it) Air fuel screw is at 2.5 turns. Twin airfilter with no metal thing inside with no box lid, and snorkel taken out with hole plugged. Running 93 pump gas. It still pings and pops at decelleration from about 1/2 -full throttle.\

Question - Why does it pop and ping?

tia

(more questions to come, wanna get this right and have it run good)

RiderTRX400ex
07-15-2005, 07:20 PM
go up on the pilot jet, and your mixture screw....adjust those and should fix poppin

HondaEXrider22
07-15-2005, 07:21 PM
How many turns on the screw, like a half at a time and test it out? And how many one the pilot?

White_Knuckles
07-15-2005, 07:47 PM
Half turn out and then test is right. Check your plug color after a ridding day and see if it's black carbon. Go down with the main 1 step at a time 'till she's right. You can drill or pull the airbox lid as the 112 sounds too big (rich). 107 is what works at 2000 ft.

The 250EX may not need a larger pilot. Keep coming out on the fuel screw about three turns max then back in where it pops excessively. Back out a half to one full turn and you're there.

Any high flow exhaust will backfire on quick throttle release. Roll it off and see if there is any popping. Should be none.
Pinging is detonation, a whole different sound and a bad thing you need to correct.

A common backfire issue is a pipe leak where the slip joint meets. Pull the pipe and seal the joint with high-temp silicone. Let it cure for full 24 hrs.

HondaEXrider22
07-16-2005, 09:04 AM
OK. Do you think a hotter spark plug would help? My dads friend said this? WOuld it help.

White_Knuckles
07-16-2005, 11:54 AM
Is the question about a hotter plug to solve for backfire? No, it won't help. Is it to solve for pinging? Again no.

You need to be discriptive with your line of questions. The 250EX ships with do-all factory settings that will "work" okay anywhere in the country. When you mod the airflow with changes in the filter or airbox or change the pipe it will go leaner. Lean condition will promote backfire and ping - it's starved for fuel. But remember, the factory's do-all settings were probably way rich so it may be fine. What is your altitude?

The tricky deal is the pipe may pop even when the jetting is spot on. So... how is the plug burning now? What exact changes have been made? Just the pipe? What do you mean by pinging? Does it sound like clatter when you lug the motor and then roll the throttle on? Pinging is bad, it is unburned fuel detonating at the wrong time. It could damage the engine so talk to us.

White_Knuckles
07-16-2005, 12:11 PM
My son has a 250EX with a cutout snorkle tip, (4) 1" holes in the lid, a UNI filter and a Pro Circuit T-4 slip-on pipe. Stock pilot with a 105 main. At 2500-3000 ft. it's running perfect on mid-grade pump gas.

I re-read your post and I think you are hearing "ping" under deceleration. That would not be ping. If you're talking about the popping than it's just like our T-4.

Trust me, they throw a few pops when you snap the throttle off. It should not release huge backfire explosions. Try the roll off, not snap off throttle technique and report the effect.

400exrider707
07-16-2005, 03:24 PM
The pop on deceleration is to lean on the mixture screw. Try adjusting that 1/4 turn at a time until it goes away. Also there is no need for you to be running 93 gas at all. It will just make your quad harder to start.

HondaEXrider22
07-16-2005, 08:39 PM
The one thing about my quad is that its starts on a dime every single time. I almost never choke. Its not loud poping but when i roll off throttle or kill RPMs by braking, it doesnt do it. I guess its normal. I am at about 1,300 ft i believe. Thnaks for the questions. I will deffantily see whats up when i go on eone of my long all day rides, thanks for the fast help!