PDA

View Full Version : long travel a-arm ?

6858-400ex
07-15-2005, 08:50 AM
by going with long travel a-arms how much travel would i be gaining i know i would have to get longer shocks

TBD
07-15-2005, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by 6858-400ex
by going with long travel a-arms how much travel would i be gaining i know i would have to get longer shocks
Long travel front ends and standard front ends can both achieve the same wheel travel. Long travel refers to a long shaft travel on the shock. By having more shaft travel and moving the mount location makes the shock easier to tune.

300ex13
07-15-2005, 03:48 PM
IMO LT a-arms is a gimmick...standard a-arms achieve the same amount of travel and are a few 100 dollars cheaper...same with the LT shocks are more $$ than standard

EvilJester400EX
07-15-2005, 03:55 PM
Have you ever ridden a long travel setup? Judging from your answer I'll take that as a no. Long travel is MUCH better than standard travel. Yeah sure, you can achieve the same travel, but your shock will not be nearly as well dialed in as with a long travel setup. You also gain an inch or 2 from using the 19 inch shock over the 16 inch shock.

TBD
07-15-2005, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by EvilJester400EX
Have you ever ridden a long travel setup? Judging from your answer I'll take that as a no. Long travel is MUCH better than standard travel. Yeah sure, you can achieve the same travel, but your shock will not be nearly as well dialed in as with a long travel setup. You also gain an inch or 2 from using the 19 inch shock over the 16 inch shock.
The only reason there might be any more travel gain is because the arm builder decided to get more travel out of the LT arms. I have ridden both quite a bit and if you are any kind of a shock tuner you can achieve the same thing from both. The LT set up is easier to dial in.

rob-u/21
07-15-2005, 06:12 PM
So what would you recomend an MX or Desert racer to use, should I spend the extra cash on long travel or save the cash and use standard travel?

deathman53
07-15-2005, 07:06 PM
long travel is far better than standard travel. it will really help you out in rough sections and if you case a jump.

Pappy
07-15-2005, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by rob-u/21
So what would you recomend an MX or Desert racer to use, should I spend the extra cash on long travel or save the cash and use standard travel?

i think it would depend on what arm you prefer. getting long travel and scimping on an inferior arm will not help any over a good standard travel set up. all arms are not created equal.

long travel tried here have been far better out of the box then standard travel, but as TBD stated, they can be tuned better from the manufacture i suppose.