PDA

View Full Version : Good CDI

4everhonda
07-15-2005, 08:25 AM
I am looking to buy a dyna fs cdi like the one on the link below. Has anyone used one and does it really help all it says is does.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=43976&item=4560778261&sspagename=WDVW

Heres my other option the vortex but I really dont want to spend the money but if the dyna sucks well then Ill be forced too. here it is.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewItem&item=4507487875

Thanks guys

07-15-2005, 08:58 AM
the vortex is def. better, what other mods do you have on your quad, if this is a stock motor then niehter of them will make any differnce at all

4everhonda
07-15-2005, 09:05 AM
Here is what I got

406ex around 11:1 compression
full hmf
aluminum airbox no lid
stage one cam
high velocity port n' polish
hd valve springs
hd clutch

07-15-2005, 09:34 AM
yeah youll deffinetly notice an improvement with your mods, imo the vortex is still better ive heard so many stories about the dynas fring in the middle of trails n stuff, plus the vortex has the map selector on the handle bars, i dont think the dyna does, im pretty sure you have to stop and get off the quad to adjust it

cals400ex
07-15-2005, 12:42 PM
on the 450r, the dyna simply puts out more power than ANY of the 10 vortex curves. however, the 400ex has a "weird" electrical system. the dynas have been known to go out a lot on the 400ex's. i think they claim the problem has been fixed but i still have seen them go out, on the 400ex that is. i don't know anyone who runs the vortex on the 400ex so i have no idea if these will tend to go out or not. i know dyna is really good if something on their ignition breaks. they will usually always take it back and send you a new one or fix it. however, that is down time. you still need to send it in and wait. if it was me, i wouldn't get a rev box unless you do hit the stock rev limiter when racing. i realize you will nail it when messing around. i would get the gt thunder if you do get one.

07-15-2005, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
if it was me, i wouldn't get a rev box unless you do hit the stock rev limiter when racing.

ummmm cdis and rev boxes arent the same thing

4everhonda
07-16-2005, 12:04 PM
I am asking about cdi's, they control your timing curves and spark. and have outputs for tach and such. I just want to know if anyone has had the dynafs and if its worth the $200

chucked
07-16-2005, 12:31 PM
Dont buy dyna, I just finished blowing up my 4th (i think) over the past year.

chucked
07-16-2005, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by yzfmxer
ummmm cdis and rev boxes arent the same thing

cdi=rev box, the only other electrical box on there is the rectifier/regulator

cals400ex
07-16-2005, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by chucked
cdi=rev box, the only other electrical box on there is the rectifier/regulator

yep, you are correct :)

i have been told don't waste your money on the rectifier. big gun told me theirs puts out 0.7 horsepower more than the stock one. i figured that wouldn't be noticeable if it did put out that much more. whether it does or not, who knows.....

chucked
07-16-2005, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
yep, you are correct :)

i have been told don't waste your money on the rectifier. big gun told me theirs puts out 0.7 horsepower more than the stock one. i figured that wouldn't be noticeable if it did put out that much more. whether it does or not, who knows.....

All the big gun ones does is stop charging when the battery is full, so it's not like you can control it either. When they first came out they were only 40 bucks or so so I ordered one. Then by the time it came in, they were over a hundred bucks. So I sent it back.

Cals400ex, what are you doing for a CDI these days?

4everhonda
07-17-2005, 08:04 PM
Anybody else had any first-hand experience??

cals400ex
07-17-2005, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by chucked
All the big gun ones does is stop charging when the battery is full, so it's not like you can control it either. When they first came out they were only 40 bucks or so so I ordered one. Then by the time it came in, they were over a hundred bucks. So I sent it back.

Cals400ex, what are you doing for a CDI these days?

i actually run a dyna on my 450r. i haven't had any problems. actually, the fan would come on really really early with it in so i sent it back and they reprogrammed when the fans came on. i think it is in the mail right now coming my way.

on the 400ex, i sold my gt thunder one when i sold the bike. i would get another gt thunder one on a 400ex if i had to do it again.