PDA

View Full Version : My R is getting slower

86-250Rnut
07-14-2005, 09:14 PM
I have been noticing that my R has been getting boggy in low rpms. i have no idea what it is from. my sparks are fine. i cleaned my filter [My K&N filter sucks] so i was thinking it had to do with my carb. but i dont know much about carbs. so im a little worried about taking it apart. but does any 1 know what my prob could be?
thanks
mitch

ohh yea and are the side covers on a 86 R aluminum or steel?

get_up_mark
07-14-2005, 09:35 PM
sounds like you may need to lean out your air fuel mixture. too much gas and not enough air. its a simple adjustment and just turn it a little at idle to see witch way is which. the higher the idle the less fuel. u may also want to take off the carb and clean it and make sure the jets are clear.

XCredrider
07-14-2005, 10:36 PM
covers should be aluminum... mine were atleast :D

beerock
07-14-2005, 10:43 PM
change your plug dude

86-250Rnut
07-15-2005, 02:57 PM
I change my plugs every week. and there is a idle screw for the idel and another one for air mixture. but i dont know how to mess with it. could some 1 please tell me.

ESR350r
07-15-2005, 04:05 PM
by turning the air screw in it will cut the amount of air going in making it richer. backing it out leans out the fuel mixture. most setups are 1.5 - 2 turns out. try turning the screw all of the way in and backing it our 1.5 turns. then start it and let it idle and back the screw out until it idles at the highest RPM. there is a point that too far in it will die and too far out it will start to idle back down. back it out till it idles the highest and keep it there or go in alittle from there like a quarter turn. once you get that done you can adjust your idle idle screw to where you want it if it is too high after you adjust the air screw.

07-15-2005, 05:00 PM
I suppose no one is gonna tell him he might be loosing compression someplace?????? Reeds stiffening up or cracking????

If its getting slower/boggier and you havent touched the settings on the carb and still running under the same conditions its NOT the settings.

86-250Rnut
07-15-2005, 06:06 PM
The reeds should be fine. i rebuild the eninge not to long ago. put new every thing in it. And i can push on my kick starter and i dont lose compression that way. so it must be the carb.

TRX_250r18
07-15-2005, 09:11 PM
i use to bog in low rpms and i found out that it was my clutch. do you have a stock clutch cause if you do than get a new one

speedjunkie250
07-15-2005, 09:26 PM
Once upon a time i owned a banshee. I fell off bumped my head and no i own an r. my shee did the same thing try taking your lid off your box if you runnin one. This will give it more air. i run no box on my r. Bascilly sounds like its starvin for air and it dumppin to much fuel. we could diagnose your bike all day but we arent there to what its doin. One of these suggestions is bound to werk.